A QUESTION FOR THOSE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiean

Reaction score
My question is, how much do you give per day. I thought it was 1 table spoon but I have people telling me I am going to cause tummy problems. Will it? And how much do you feed?

For the past 3 weeks I have been feeding a 11 month old, 29 inch chestnut filly a heaping scoop that I think may be a tablespoon. She has never shown any signs of having an upset tummy unless she doesnt show it. She is still the fun loving little begger as always.

Edited to add: Be careful about paprika during show season. If your horse ends up doing a drug test, paprika can show up positive. I was told to leave out the paprika from the horse's feed about 1-2 weeks before the show and then resume it afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
For whatever it's worth / whoever may be able to put it to use, the best color enhancer for gold tones I have found is simply ground flax seed and for all colors, it really brings out the bloom. It also speeds up shedding for horses who will not be clipped. I highly recommended (@ about 1 tablespoon per day).

I feed them "just a pinch".
default_saludando.gif

l've used paprika once a day a teaspoon full in with the morning ration and haven't had a problem...takes a good month to see a differance if there's going to be one. Some it works nicely for others it does nothing l can see so don't bother giving to them anymore. Flax is also great and we prefer it over BOSS which has caused a problem for one mare here.....

Hello, I was just wondering what you would suppliment feed to enhance Palomino pinto?

Thank you
default_wacko.png

I fed 1 tbsp for a year to my palomino gelding, never a upset tumy, but I never did see any results color wise.

I ended up just cutting it out completely.

Hello, I was just wondering what you would suppliment feed to enhance Palomino pinto?
Thank you
default_wacko.png
Hi,

I used Super 14 last year on my sorrel pinto gelding and my silver bay pinto stallion. It did nothing for my gelding but made our stallion bring out his amazing color. It worked incredible; I even had two world judges comment on his color.

But the best thing to bring out shine is good nutrition!

Flax does wonders, I used to use it on my sabino gelding and it really brought out the colour in his coat.

A note on the flax seed-grind it first! The outer shell is apparently hard to digest, so they get the most benefit out of freshly ground flax seed. I used a little electric coffee grinder to take care of mine. Also, grind it fresh daily or grind a bunch and keep it refrigerated for around a week-you can't grind a bunch and leave it out as it will spoil.

I've also heard that feeding it whole makes it act similar to psyllium-anyone know about that? A 50lb bag of flax is a LOT cheaper than a 10lb tub of Sandclear!

Latest posts

Back