Anyone watch the View today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
They talked about discrimination on mutts at the Westminster.

Joy one of the host on the view said she wrote a book to

Westminster because her dog would not be allowed to show.

Not sure if she meant a published book or just so many pages like a book.

So the view will be putting together a mutt show. This might just be talk for their show.

Joy's dog is shih tzu / poodle/ cockier spaniel mix (correct me if I am wrong)

I have been wanting to ask this. Keep it pleasant.
default_wub.png

How can or would CKC or AKC make the shih poo a breed?

I usually watch it everyday but had to go to the chiropractor. I just love that show. Thast would be cool to have a show for Mutts but how would you judge them....anyways I think its a great idea. I wish AKC would recognize Toy Australian Shepherds..........lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate the whole toy/mini/teacup/oodle/doodle thing.
default_no.gif

I'm not sure this is the only route one can take, but their Foundation Stock Service program has some good information: http://www.akc.org/reg/fss_details.cfm

Bolding mine, of course.

How Breeds Enter the FSS®
The American Kennel Club considers requests to enter FSS® from breed clubs or individual fanciers of a breed. Those wishing to pursue recording with FSS® must:

* Fill out a questionnaire for new breeds.

* Provide a written breed history documenting the distinct breed over a period of many decades. This should include details on any foreign and/or domestic organizations that register the breed. The source of the historical information must also be provided.

* Provide an official written breed standard, indicating the origin of that standard. If the standard differs from the official breed standard in the breed country of origin those differences must be specified.

* Provide photographs of the breed, including puppies and adults, as well as both dogs and bitches. If there are different accepted types in the breed, photographs of each type should be included and labeled as such.

The AKC only considers adding new breeds to the FSS® or its registry upon request. The breed must be recognized by an acceptable foreign or domestic registry.

The FSS® is not open to "rare" breeds that are a variation of an AKC-registrable breed or the result of a combination of two AKC-recognized breeds. This includes and is not limited to differences such as size (over and under), coat type, coat colors, and coat colors and/or types that are disqualifications from Conformation Events by AKC breed standards.

What is next? Guidelines For Registering a New Breed

If the goal for your breed is AKC recognition please consider the action items below after your breed is in the FSS®. The recognition process begins with admission of the breed to the Miscellaneous Class.

Form a strong national breed club and encourage fanciers nationwide to join and get involved. A national breed club with representative membership of about 100 active households is expected for a breed to be placed in the Miscellaneous Class. The amount of active households needed may vary depending on the number of dogs recorded in the FSS®.

* Create a breed standard that conforms to the Guidelines for Writing Breed Standards. Final approval is made by the AKC Board at the time the breed is approved for full recognition.

* Form active committees such as a rescue committee or a health committee, put on shows, and publish a quarterly newsletter. A committed AKC liaison is also keeping AKC updated on the club's various activities and provides documentation of the fanciers' dedication to full AKC recognition. Current officer and membership lists must be on file with the AKC.

* Encourage other fanciers to record their dogs with FSS®. A minimum of 300-400 dogs with complete three-generation pedigrees, owned by many different individuals residing in various parts of the nation, must be recorded as part of the criteria for approval to move to the Miscellaneous Class. The more dogs you record with the FSS®, the more committed AKC believes the fanciers are to achieving full recognition. If the national breed club has not submitted its breed registry for entry into FSS®, the club is required to do so when moving to the Miscellaneous Class.

* A dog must be enrolled in the AKC FSS® to be eligible to be entered in the Miscellaneous Class.

* Stay in contact. The AKC moves forward with recognition of breeds whose fanciers want the breed to be recognized. Maintaining regular contact with FSS® staff will show your enthusiasm for and commitment to AKC recognition.

Normally breeds remain in the Miscellaneous Class one to three years. However breeds with 1,000 or more dogs enrolled in FSS® may be evaluated after six months in Miscellaneous, these breeds will remain in the Miscellaneous Class a minimum of 18 months. Breeds with less than 1,000 dogs will be evaluated at the end of each year in Miscellaneous. When all criteria are met the information is presented to the AKC Board of Directors for approval to move to full AKC recognition and breed conformation competition.

I didn't watch The View... I won't be watching it tomorrow, either. If it was the only thing on TV, I'd put the TV in storage
default_biggrin.png

The ultra-liberal Joy must have some ties to PETA because they espouse the same thing. They say the AKC discriminates.

At Westminster, PETA protesters wore sheets and hood ala Ku Klux Klan.OUTRAGEOUS!!! They protested the breeding of pure bred dogs, saying, among other things:

that purebred dogs suffer from breeding practices designed to produce show winners rather than healthy animals. A sample statement from the brochure (written in the first person as if by a Klan member):

Like the Klan, dog breeders who subscribe to the AKC standards are all about the sanctity of "pure bloodlines." So what if beagles have epileptic seizures, Dalmatians are deaf, and pugs can barely breathe because of how they are purposely bred to look a certain way? Looks are everything!

PETA has also likened the AKC to Hitler's persecution of the Jews saying the AKC is encouraging people to breed "the master race."

A hidden agenda of PETA is to ban the breeding of ALL animals. They also have a total vegan agenda among other things. Nuts to them!!!
default_no.gif

The ultra-liberal Joy must have some ties to PETA because they espouse the same thing. They say the AKC discriminates.
At Westminster, PETA protesters wore sheets and hood ala Ku Klux Klan.OUTRAGEOUS!!! They protested the breeding of pure bred dogs, saying, among other things:

that purebred dogs suffer from breeding practices designed to produce show winners rather than healthy animals. A sample statement from the brochure (written in the first person as if by a Klan member):

Like the Klan, dog breeders who subscribe to the AKC standards are all about the sanctity of "pure bloodlines." So what if beagles have epileptic seizures, Dalmatians are deaf, and pugs can barely breathe because of how they are purposely bred to look a certain way? Looks are everything!

PETA has also likened the AKC to Hitler's persecution of the Jews saying the AKC is encouraging people to breed "the master race."

A hidden agenda of PETA is to ban the breeding of ALL animals. They also have a total vegan agenda among other things. Nuts to them!!!
default_no.gif
not sure what this is all about? :stupid

default_no.gif
Why?
default_wub.png

Just wanted to add:

Obama said his family had narrowed the choices to a "Porti" (Portuguese water dog) or a Labradoodle, a designer mix of a Labrador retriever and a poodle.

Joy Behar actually wrote and was published because of her mutt dog.

Sheetzucacapoopoo: My Kind of Dog by Joy Behar and Gene Baretta (illustrationist)

Joy Behar actually wrote and was published because of her mutt dog.Sheetzucacapoopoo: My Kind of Dog by Joy Behar and Gene Baretta (illustrationist)
thanks for that info, was not sure if I heard it right that she wrote a book.

Labradoodle, a designer mix of a Labrador retriever and a poodle.
At least it is a mix with a viable reason; the original Austrailian breeder was striving for a hypo-allergenic guide dog.

I have nothing against mixes, but I do not consider more than two breeds a "mix", to me...more than two breeds, you simply have a mutt. Mutts are great...I have had a few of my own...but to call them such names as shiz-beagle-doodle-bops or whatever...and charge a fortune for them...that is just wrong.
default_no.gif

default_no.gif
Why?
Because 'teacup' is not a classification in any breed. Teacup is a marketing tool. People breed small dogs even smaller-usually to the detriment of their health-and then sell runty puppies to people who don't know any better for the same amount of money-if not more-that you'd spend finding a reputable breeder with healthy, proven animals.

For the oodles and doodles: Same thing, pretty much. These dogs are mutts. I love mutts. I own one. But I didn't buy him from a breeder, he came from a shelter where there are PLENTY of mutts-Poodle crosses included-already alive and waiting for homes. Again, it's a trendy marketing ploy to get people to pay heaps of money for something they could get for $100 at a shelter.

Mini/Toy dogs in breeds that don't HAVE a Mini/Toy class are the same, too. "Hey, these are nice, but I bet if we made them smaller they'd sell better!"

And in all of the above cases, when we're talking about Tiny-Teacup-Purse Chihuahuas, Labradoodles Goldendoodles Schnoodles Yorki-poos, or Toy Aussies or whatever other it's-a-Toy-but-shouldn't-be breeds, I've never found anyone who was breeding them in a manner that I think is consistent with being a responsible dog breeder. IMO, a responsible dog breeder does all of the following:

Breeds with a purpose. Being a pet is a purpose most any dog can fill, so I don't buy that. Now, improving a breed, herding ability, guarding ability, scenting, guide dogs, those are all good purposes. A breeder should have at least one of those in mind when planning a breeding.

Breeds proven dogs. Dogs that have proven through shows, trials, tests, or occupation that they can do (or ideally excel) at their purpose.

Does all applicable health testing. Eyes, hips, elbows, heart, vW...whatever diseases are prevalent in that breed should be tested for prior to breeding.

I really have nothing against the dogs. I'm sure a lot of those tiny Chihuahuas and "Mini Aussies" and doodles are great pets-in fact, I wouldn't mind coming across a Lab/Poodle cross in rescue someday. I disagree with breeding them, though, since the soul purpose behind them seems to be to make more of them and to make money off of them.

I have a PETA t-shirt!! It says: People Eating Tasty Animals

I bought it at AMHR Nationals last year, after seeing one a couple of years ago. I love it!

Mark

Lol tasty animals
default_biggrin.png

I have to say that one of my biggest pet peeves is probably when people start saying "I have a purebred labradoodle (or other mixed name)" The fact is... It is NOT purebred! Even the name is of two purebred breeds just put together!

Now I have no issue with them, and I have mutts and purebred dogs of my own, however I cannot consider them and do not think they should be considered "purebred" unless they have gone through the decades of standardization in conformation, coat, size, lineage tracking ect. just like every other Purebred breed has gone through. I dont think it would be fair to those who have bred purebreds for years and dedicated thier time and efforts to that breed. (some for generations!)

I do think it would be cute if they had a "mutt" show though, and what I would really like to see is spayed and neutered animals that are purebred get to show too!

JMHO though!

Masako

How can or would CKC or AKC make the shih poo a breed?
Not much chance of that.
default_unsure.png

Are the parents quality specimens of their breed? Usually not. Just pet quality Shih Tzu A bred to the neigbour's Toy Poodle of dubious quality. And prime puppy mill material created purely for the cuteness factor.

Do they breed true? No. Can you tell a Shih Poo from a Lhasa Poo from a Cockapoo from a Malti-poo at a glance - the way you can tell the difference between a Border Terrier and a Sealyham and a Smooth Fox Terrier? No. Do they have many generations of dogs that bred true in their background? No - and they never will.

Cute, yes - if you like that type of dog. Why not just have a Shih Tzu or a poodle though - there are lots of them out there and thus no reason to create extra dogs. A breed? No - that is not going to happen. Nor is it likely to happen for puggles or Schnoodles or any assortment of crosses that Someone has decided to call a breed...

Latest posts

Back