Dapple Mini Doxie almost ready for girlfriend, I THINK?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Taylor Jo

I want to get a girlfriend for my boy as he will be a year in a few months. My questions to you breeders are.

1. Do you breed male and female at a year or do you wait longer?

2. When you do breed, how many times do you let them with in the female being in heat?

3. My boy is a dapple and I read where you can't breed two dapples together as it's to dangerous. I want to get another dapple so do I breed a plain that has dapple in her background or just plain in her background?

4. Also, can I breed to a piebald with him being a dapple, will I get any dapples, piebalds?

Thanks I really appreciate it, I didn't know of who else to ask.

Here is a pic of my boy Gunther taken just about a week ago.

NOW I have to find the little girl, at what ever age someone suggest, I'd kinda like to find one similar in age if could be. TJ

Oh if it's any help I live here in Mo. if you need to pm you can.

th_MVC-594F.jpg

Last edited:
Lyn would be a great person to answer all your questions, she breeds dachsunds.

Thanks, hopefully she'll see this. I'm at a loss at who to ask. Don't know much about dog breeding as I've always fixed mine before. I thought well I would do try it "once" and see how it went. But, I don't want to be a backyard breeder, I just don't want to be breeding for the sake of breeding. YUCK! TJ

Yes, dapples cannot be bred together.

I have read that dappled Dachshunds are prone to deafness and blindness.

For this reason, they are very rare, as most breeders refuse to breed this pattern.

A male at a year is fine depending on how he has matured. Longer for females.

I like to see my males lock at least twice, only once a day or every other day.

If possible 3 times is the best.

Not sure about piebalds? Lyn might be able to answer that one?

Reds are what sell the best in our area.

You also got to watch your male does not get a virus or infection from the females

he is breeding. Not all females will except your stud.

Cannot charge much when he is not proven?

Good Luck
default_saludando.gif

So that's his PROBLEM when I tell him it's time to go in the house the little booger is DEAF!!!!! LOL!!!!

Thanks for the information. So a year and half on a female, 2 years old? I don't want to do it to early.

Oh ok, on the locking, that helps a lot. Wasn't sure on that.

Yea, I'm real curious about the piebalds cause I do like them and would like to have one, IF I could breed one and get a dapple. If not then I'd get a solid I guess.

Gunthers sire was a long hair and his dam was a black and red. Somewhere in there was a gene for a dapple though, had to be.

Yea, I figured if I PUT him up for stud I probably wouldn't get very much cause of him not being proven. Wasn't to sure what to do, get a female and get pups through her to prove him or put him up.

How do you keep them from getting the infection/virus from the female? Omg'd!!!!!

That's good information to know and so is it to know not all females will accept him.

So another words I could "BUY" a female and then the stinker could want nothing to do with him.

Oh that would cork me!!!!!!!!

Thanks Reble appreciate it. TJ

We used my male dapple at a year old, female was 2-2 1/2 if I remember right.. Dapples should not be bred together as the resulting pups can have deafness/blindness issues..

Our male's sire was a dapple long hair, dam was short hair black/tan, bred him to my short hair black/tan female (both her parents were short hair black/tans) and ended up with 5 pups: a black/tan silver dapple female, black/tan silver dapple male, black/tan short hair male, black/tan long hair female and a chocolate dapple long hair female..

I've decided not to breed anymore so have our male for sale as well as the one female pup I kept (black/tan long hair). Want to put the money into the horses instead of puppies though I will miss watching the little boogers grow up and the puppy breath
default_wub.png
default_wink.png

Thanks good to know, so NO dapple on her part. Well, I'm going to look here in Mo for one, but I guess I should look for a year half or 2 year old. Let her get used to him for a few months. Plus, he's got to turn one yet.

My worry now is the about him getting accepted by her AND that infection he can get from another female that's just awful. He's my baby and I wouldn't want ANYTHING to happen to him.

Thanks for telling me about yours, TJ

http://www.dachshund-dca.org

Are your dogs registered? This may not seem important, but breeding related dogs (or crossing unrelated dogs of certain lines) can cause serious health problems to crop up. Have your dogs been or before breeding will they be health tested (PRA, NARC, vWD, etc.), as well as vet checked (STDs, etc.)? Are your dogs AT LEAST one and a half years old, or will they be before breeding? Have your dogs done any showing, or will they before breeding? This may not seem important, but poorly conformed Dachsies do suffer and one way of figuring out how well your dogs are put together and what they may produce is by having them evaluated by knowledgable breeders and judges. Have you thought about what the pups you will create will contribute to the breed, or for pets, what they will contribute to the world's pet overpopulation problem? Why (besides "breeding just to breed" which was your indiciation of a backyard breeder) are you wanting to breed just this once, then stand your dog at stud? Will the pups be sold on spay/neuter contracts or be altered prior to being placed in their new homes? This may not seem important, but consider that every unaltered pup may go on to create even MORE pups, and who knows where they might end up. Are you willing to take the pups back at any time if things don't work out? What sort of health guarantee are you planning to offer? A responsible breeder will be ready to help for a set time with the potential cost and/or loss of a pup from not only contagious diseases such as parvo, but congenital diseases, such as cataracts. You mention that you don't want anything to happen to your dog because he is your baby, but are you aware of what can happen to your bitch? Are you ready to put her through a c-section, or deal with pyometra, etc.?

Please don't think I am picking on you, these are very serious questions that should be answered honestly before ANYONE breeds their dogs. There is so much more to it than how many times the dogs should mate at what age, what colors you want, etc. The market right now for pets (even those from well bred dogs) is NOT GOOD. Your pups are likely to end up in stressed out homes where jobs, homes, cars and more are in danger of being lost. Instead of creating more lives in these troubled times, why not save some by fostering pups instead? If you want a piebald (or whatever color) Dachshund and even if you are still interested in breeding responsibly, the best thing to do would be to work with the reputable breeders the Dachshund Club of America (linked to above) can direct you to.

Last edited by a moderator:
TJ I sent you a PM.

Dapples are not prone to deafness and blindness. DOUBLE DAPPLES are the ones that have those issues. I breed and show Dapples and they are very healthy.

You never breed a dapple to another dapple or to a pie. The reason that you dont want to breed to a pie is because some DD look like pies. With pies you need to remember that if you breed a pie to a solid, none of the puppies are pies but rather pie carriers. They may have white feet or a spot on the face or chest but thats it. Then you breed a pie carrier to a pie you get pies or two pie carriers that are solid , in the case of Hunter and Jazz litter, 5 of the 7 were pies.

Now I will tell you that unless your dogs are OUTSTANDING, you really shouldnt breed them. I know there are many that will say Im stuck up but..... there are way to many dogs in shelters because of overbreeding and if you arent careful where you get your dogs from, they may come with lots of genetic baggage. Doxies are prone to DDD Degenerative Disc Disease which you need to stay away from, and the breeding animals should be CERF tested, this is an eye issue.

My last litter cost me over 2200 dollars jjust to get them born....emergence C Section, two X rays and two ultrasounds. You have to be prepared for this. I am keeping two and selling the other two will net me less than half of that.

I have spent far more in Vet bills, registrations, dog show entries and promotion of my dogs than I have ever made in puppy money. You have to be passionate about doing it, not just out to make a few bucks, That is what a backyard breeder does.

As far as breeding when and where, I NEVER leave dogs together just to breed whenever. I hold the bitch so she cant accidentally injure the dog. I have also Done AI on show dogs I dont want traumatized.

They all come in season at different intervals, one of mine once a year, two others every 6 months like clockwork and the remaining 3 at varying intervals.

There is SOOOOOO much to think about when you are thinking about doing this.

Also when you breed a long haired dog to a smooth with no longs in their pedigree, all the puppies will be smooth but carry for long. If there are long haired dogs in the pedigree of smooths you will get both. We got a long haired puppy out of two smooths because back in the third generation there were 3 longs. but Smooth is dominant.

Dapple isnt carried if it is there it is expressed. One parent must be a dapple to get a dapple

Red is dominant over black and tan.

Also you need to make sure that your minis are 11 pounds or less and standards are 16 pounds up to 35.

The 12 - 15 pounders are refered to as tweenies and we wouldnt use them at all for either variety

At dog shows the dogs are divided by coat type not size. Smooth Long and Wire

Minis show against standards in their coat varieties.

Hope this epistle helps. I discussed Brucellosis with TJ in a pm

Lyn

Thank you Lyn! I am a groomer and former owner, trainer and breeder of German Shepherd Dogs. I feel better that someone that knows the breed has spoken.

Joyce

Also wanted to add this ... reputable breeders will put letters after the dogs name to indicate what they are genetically for example. Champion Southwinds Fancy Pants ML meaning she is a mini long

River Citys Smooth Jazz MSP mini smooth pie

River citys Hunt for the Prize MS mini smooth

Y Nots Hunt for a Queen MSCP mini smooth carrying pie

Kenrills Royal Dalton SW Standard wire

Puppy millers and many back yard breeders dont do this... also they mix coats and colors and wihtout telling you on the papers what is behind your dog you could make a lethal mistake. For example. In my current litter there are two red dapples. The darker of the two will look like a shaded red at maturity because he has a long coat and the colors will blend and just look like light and shadows.... he will have to be named with the suffix MLD Mini Long Dapple otherwise if he were to be used for breeding and someone thought he was just a red and bred him to a dapple the resulting puppies would be DD and can be born blind and deaf and sometime have small eyes or no eyes. DD is the dachshunds lethal white although it doesnt result in death.

That said I know of a few DD dogs from the past that have appeard to be perfectly normal and even are finished champions..... but we dont promote that.

Dapples are not all that rare. I have 3 of 4 puppies in this litter dapple. You just need to remember that you need 1 dapple parent so every litter you have a 50% chance for dapples. The solid puppy in my litter im keeping to breed to my dapple girls but he does not carry the gene

Clear as mud right?? lol

I bought my dog is a round about way. I was in a sign shop getting a miniature horse sign made. I saw my dog and feel in love with him. I told the girl I LOVED her dog. It was LOVE at first sight. A few day's later she called me and said her daughter didn't want to take care of him anymore did I want to buy him as they'd just had him a week. SHE didn't have time for him and her daughter was a teenager. I said YES, YES, YES!!!!!!! Then she said she had to talk to her daughter again to MAKE SURE her daughter REALLY did want to give him up. I WAS LIKE COME ON!!!!!! I was a nervous WRECK...... THEN FINALLY the next day she called and said yes, I could come and get him but it would be for like $200 MORE then what we agreed on!!!!!!! OTHERWISE the "daughther" was going to sell him to someone else, some guy she'd met on a river float trip she'd met the day before....

I was like; I'll take him. No I'll take him. I went there at 430 in the afternoon and he jumped up in my arms and I said what's his name and she said oh we've been calling him "PEDRO" A doxie..... A DOXIE named PEDRO!!!!!! So we came home and changed that quickly!!!!!!

Then the next week I got his papers from her and sure enough it was Pedro and the name of the breeder was on there and I looked her up and called her. HOWEVER, I told her I was changing the name and what to, Gunther Von Sazzy Bommer. She didn't say to add anything else to it, if she would have I would have. That is VERY interesting. I'll look at his papers in the morning and see if there on his. Right off hand I can't recall.

Hi Lyn,

Well I do not breed my dachshund anymore she is going on 9 years old.

but she makes a great Nannie

She was registered with

Sire: _________ upTown Guy ML

Dam: _________ Aunt Jamima ML

I forgot about the ML in the registered papers.

Registered papers with some breeders, (that is another story) they also can be backyard breeders.

Thanks for the info on dapples and piebalds
default_wub.png

TJ - why not buy/rescue/adopt a Doxie friend for your little guy instead of simply launching into breeding? If your little guy was breeding quality - the breeder would have kept him... or sold him as a show dog....

http://www.dachshund-dca.org
Are your dogs registered? This may not seem important, but breeding related dogs (or crossing unrelated dogs of certain lines) can cause serious health problems to crop up. Have your dogs been or before breeding will they be health tested (PRA, NARC, vWD, etc.), as well as vet checked (STDs, etc.)? Are your dogs AT LEAST one and a half years old, or will they be before breeding? Have your dogs done any showing, or will they before breeding? This may not seem important, but poorly conformed Dachsies do suffer and one way of figuring out how well your dogs are put together and what they may produce is by having them evaluated by knowledgable breeders and judges. Have you thought about what the pups you will create will contribute to the breed, or for pets, what they will contribute to the world's pet overpopulation problem? Why (besides "breeding just to breed" which was your indiciation of a backyard breeder) are you wanting to breed just this once, then stand your dog at stud? Will the pups be sold on spay/neuter contracts or be altered prior to being placed in their new homes? This may not seem important, but consider that every unaltered pup may go on to create even MORE pups, and who knows where they might end up. Are you willing to take the pups back at any time if things don't work out? What sort of health guarantee are you planning to offer? A responsible breeder will be ready to help for a set time with the potential cost and/or loss of a pup from not only contagious diseases such as parvo, but congenital diseases, such as cataracts. You mention that you don't want anything to happen to your dog because he is your baby, but are you aware of what can happen to your bitch? Are you ready to put her through a c-section, or deal with pyometra, etc.?

Please don't think I am picking on you, these are very serious questions that should be answered honestly before ANYONE breeds their dogs. There is so much more to it than how many times the dogs should mate at what age, what colors you want, etc. The market right now for pets (even those from well bred dogs) is NOT GOOD. Your pups are likely to end up in stressed out homes where jobs, homes, cars and more are in danger of being lost. Instead of creating more lives in these troubled times, why not save some by fostering pups instead? If you want a piebald (or whatever color) Dachshund and even if you are still interested in breeding responsibly, the best thing to do would be to work with the reputable breeders the Dachshund Club of America (linked to above) can direct you to.
AMEN!!!!

Well talking to Lyn and showing her pics we've decided he's NOT breeding material so we won't go down that avenue. I have learned a lot from here and the only other thing I would do is fix him and get him a buddy. But right now he's got my 80 lb lab to keep him company and plays with him and of course my Shar Pei but she thinks he's a nusiance.

Thank you all for your input. TJ

Latest posts

Back