For those of you that have been at this a long time.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn R

Reaction score
I don't recall the exact date DNA'ing was put into effect (mandatory for breeding). I know it is a requirement to DNA mares and stallions and is needed to generate papers for foals.

What my question is.......

When did PQ'ing the DNA'd horses become an option? Was it available immediately or did it not catch on until several years later......?

Inquiring minds want to know.

It was started immediatly and was automatic when you requested dna, as long as the parents were both dna's they would do parentage qualification.

Then there was a few years that you had to request that the Parentage Qualification be done by checking a box next the the horse you wanted DNA'd.

Now (thankfully) it is automatic once again. No need to check the box.
aktion033.gif

I think (correct me if I am wrong) that you do not have to DNA the stallion unless he breeds five or more mares. Some breeders were only breeding to four mares for a while so they would not have to dna the stallion.

Personally we require parentage qualification before we buy a horse and we parentage qualify all our foals.
yes.gif

I was wondering that also, as I have a colt who both parents are DNA tested. When I DNA test him will he automatically be Parent Qualified?

ALL horses foaled in January 1996 and after HAVE to be DNA'd to have foals registered from them. All stallions breeding five or more mares, no matter when the stallion was foaled, have to be DNA'd.

My understanding is that any foals born after 2005 that is born of DNA tested parents, WILL BE PQ'd. Sounds automatic to me.

The new forms on the AMHA website have a drop down box for either DNA testing only or Parent Qualifying.

I've never had AMHA automatically PQ a horse. I've always had to request it if I wanted it done.

Latest posts

Back