Home Made Stall Dividers/Gates Safe For Foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
I ran a few forum searches but couldn't find anything that really helped me out too much (besides seeing everyones beautiful barns from the outside view) so here goes nothing. . .

I have a rectangular shaped 10x20 foaling barn that I would like to divide up into two 10x10 foaling stalls so I can watch two girls at the same time under one camera. I need to make a divider that is easy to see through and yet lightweight, easy to swing open/move and is safe for foals.

Anyone have any ideas? I prefer not to go with a traditional metal gate that you can buy as they are quite pricey right now in my area (roughly $100 the cheapest around here for a 10 footer) so I thought I would come to LIL BEGINNINGS to get some suggestions.

Thanks!

Ssshhhh! don't tell anyone...
default_wink.png
I've bought older metal stock racks (I'm picky about type, but have bought a few that weren't quite what I liked and my hubby took a torch to cut them apart), dismantled them (the kind I like bolt together - although, sometimes need to have support legs cut off to make them useable), and used the sides and front for portable panels. They are quite heavy, as they are made for full-size livestock, but they are a great size for minis at about 39" tall. [sides are around 8' long, front piece is about 5' long.]

My husband has one that I"m using the two side panels from, can't torch it, as we may need it as a stock rack someday. And, I have 3 others that have been cut where needed; 2 I bought and one my BIL picked up for me. [and, I think I'll have another one fairly soon.] Once taken apart, I usually tie them together with baling twine, as the bolt holes don't line up quite right for my useage. [i paid $60 for one (would love to find more like this one - rounded edges, so this is the one I use in the barn), $20 for another (the one that was hard to take apart), BIL got one and charged me a bag of cookies. They are usually fairly cheap at farm auctions and can occassionally be found for sale elsewhere.]

Are they called "Hog Panels" or what? I would like to do some searching on the web for used ones but don't know exactly what to call them LOL!

we just went thru the same thing except stalls were supposed to be 8x8, I say supposed because that is actually the outside demensions. My plan was to use a 8 foot gate from TC ($54), however we found out when hubby went to install it that 8 ft was about 10 inches too long!

Our solution was to nailup four 2x4s, Can't swing it open but it makes for a nice divider. (my plans were to watch both stalls with one camera but my roof is not really high enough and the mares get in the way.

you can see it on our marestare stream.

http://www.marestare.com/fcam.php?alias=uwharrie

At some point this week ( still need to install buckets) the mares will be confined at night. We still need to work on adjusting the outside cams, Since our neighbors live right on our fence line I was trying to keep them off camera view, but in doing so I lose a big chunk of the pasture view

I personally would not use hog panels for a foaling stall but that is just me. You might want to try the vinyl lattice with the small diamonds.. nothing or no one can get stuck in the openings as they are only about an inch if that it is reasonable priced - and could be pretty easy to install depending on your set up. If you do go with hog panels I would suggest attaching the lattice to it.

I am about 2/3rdsof the way finished my new barn. I made wood tracks that I can slide boards in and out of to assemble/dissassemble walls. I can get photos for you if you would like. If you can place a camera high enough over the stall wall, you should have a birds eye view of both sides.

You can also get the cameras that have the semi-circular globes that give a wider angle view.

using a U shaped channel you can add boards to make them removable to open it back up. We just had some put in the new addition to the barn. I wouldn't use the hog/cattle panels due to the potential for a leg or foot to go through them. The dividers are low enough to allow interaction between the horses over it. You're welcome to come up here and see it if you'd like.

Karen

Latest posts

Back