How old does a mare and stud have to be register foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
I wanted everyone to share on how old a mare or stud has to be before they have a foal ?

What age do you bred your stud or mares?

Pros and cons?

I have heard some folks breeding at age 2yrs and some others 3 yrs and others old then that.

Also how old is the oldest mare or stud you have bred?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't breed Fillies/Mares any younger then 3 but that is jmo
default_wink.png

and sometimes I wait a bit Longer.

as for the Oldest Mare I have bred that would go to Sapphire
default_wub.png

She was a 9 Year Old Maiden This Past Year, and after I finally got her in Foal

I didn't have any more Problems. She was sneaky and foaled on her own without any trouble foaling.

I THINK THAT THE "GIRLS" SHOULD BE COMING THREE YEARS OLD BEFORE THEY ARE BRED THE FIRST TIME. IT IS LIKE A TEENAGER HAVING A BABY... THEY JUST ARE NOT READY. IT PERSONALLY BOTHERS ME TO SEE PEOPLE INTENTIONALLY BREED TWO YEAR OLDS. I JUST DO NOT FEEL THAT THEY ARE MATURE AT THAT AGE. IF WE THOUGHT OF IT IN HUMAN TERMS - IF WE COULD CONVERT IT OVER IN HUMAN YEARS WOULD IT MAKE SINCE. LET THEM DEVELOP, GIVE THEM TIME TO MATURE. I WOULD RATHER WAIT AN EXTRA YEAR THAN TAKE A CHANCE ON LOSING A MARE BECAUSE I WANTED TO PUSH HER TOO SOON. BOILS DOWN TO GREED IN MY BOOK. MY EXPERIENCE WITH BREEDING "OLDER" HORSES... MY OLDEST MARE IS 15... SHE IS IN GOOD HEALTH AND AS LONG AS MY VET AND I FEEL THAT SHE IS FIT TO CARRY A FOAL I WILL CONTINUE TO BREED HER AS LONG AS IT IS SAFE FOR THE MARE. WHEN I NOTICE THAT A PREGNANCY BECOMES HARD FOR HER AND SHE CAN'T MAINTAIN HER WEIGHT WHILE NURSING HER FOAL, THAT MIGHT BE A GOOD INDICATOR TO CALL IT QUITS AND LET HER RETIRE. GREAT TOPIC.

we wait until a mare is 3 before breeding-sometimes have waited til they are 4 or 5. just depends on the mare. you'll know when they're ready. some of my young mares are just so refined or so small that I like to wait until their bodies are fully developed and they have ample time to build up their 'big girl' muscles. many horses don't really fill out until they're a good 4 or 5 so it's best to wait. people need to remember that it takes a lot of muscle to push those babies out!

it's also always good to make sure they're mentally ready for it too. some of my girls stay babies mentally for years. i like to let them play and just be horses and learn the ropes before making them deliver and care for a foal.

I do the same for my young stallions-i've never bred a 2 yr old. i start off my 3 yr olds with just 1 or 2 mares. and then from there work them up. stallions get so pushy and learn awful habits if they're not taught how to be gentlemen...doing so takes time

I'd personally prefer a mare be 3 or 4 before I would breed. As for the oldest, I'd say...10 to 12, depending on the mare. I've heard of much older mares doing fine, but I'd prefer not to risk it myself.

It depends on the individual horse on whether I breed at two or three for mares depending mainly on how mature they are and if they pass my vets inspection as being mature enough to breed, when in doubt wait! As for how old they HAVE to be, for at least AMHR and I am pretty sure it is the same with AMHA but the rulebook states that they have to be at least two to breed. If you breed a yearling the foal cannot be registered. Breeding with two year olds also is tricky if they arent mature enough because they may just not be able to breed yet. Some people breed 2yr old stallions with great results, others only get one foal if that because the stallion wasnt quite ready.

AMHR Rules state that No Shetland or Miniature foal may be registered out of a sire or dam UNLESS both have reached their third birthday (1/1/xx) during the foaling year. So if a mare is bred as a yearling, her foal could not be registered. Likewise a stallion.

I like to wait until 3-4 for a mare and well, my stud was 2 (his choice). I don't think it has hurt him in any way. Other than the fact that I wanted to KILL him. I have 2 mares due. One is 4 (her first) and the other is 10 (she's a pro).

AMHA accepts foals born out of 2 yr old fillies l don't believe l've ever seen a rule on age requirement like in the AMHR. l do know there are plenty of yearlings up here that were bred by accident or otherwise whose foals have papers..our choice the past few years is 4 but most times mares coming 5 are the norm with us now...stallions tried as 2 yr olds on a couple of mares doesn't give me sleepless nights though..

Youngest would be 3, oldest well this year I have 2 mares that are 21, bred and in good shape. They are great moms and Little Andy daughters.

MY HATS OFF TO ALL OF THE MEMBERS WHO HAVE POSTED SO FAR: PAINTNMINIS, OHMT, AMANDA, MAPLE HOLLOW FARM, RUFFIAN, KATIEAN, RELIC AND RKG THAT HAVE MADE THE DECISION TO LET THEIR GIRLS MATURE BEFORE BREEDING THEM TO YOUNG. IT IS GOOD TO KNOW THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE MORE CONCERNED ABOUT THE HEALTH OF THEIR ANIMALS AND NOT THE $$$$. HATS OFF TO YOU!!!

[SIZE=12pt]I agree with breed at 3 foal at 4
default_thumbup.gif
. To me anyone that breeds age 2 or younger may be asking for problems with all concerned . I would hate to loose anyone do to breeding to young.
[/SIZE]

I was reading in the AMHR rule book and it state's that no foal may be registered out of a sire or dam unless both have reached their 3rd birthday (birthday as of January 1st) during the foaling year. I don't know what AMHA requirements are, but I think that they should be the same. JMO.

I had heard of a mare being purchased that is pregnant (bred to a yearling colt) and now due to ignorance
default_nono.gif
the new owner will not be able to register the foal
default_no.gif
. The foal is due this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a mare who is 20 this year and in foal. This will be her last as I am having a hard time keeping weight on her this year. I am hoping for a nice loud appy filly.

Latest posts

Back