New to the mini show world

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie Aretos

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I just purchased my first mini late last year and another just this month. I've made the transition from showing AQHA to minis so I could get my mom involved in horses again as she can't ride anymore. I've had the pleasure of going to ASPC Congress and AMHR Nationals, and so far it's been a fun experience and a really nice crowd of people. Right now I've got my minis with a trainer so I could learn the new circuit from somebody with a lot of experience. We are hoping to build a barn in the spring at our small farm in Northern Illinois so that I can get the whole family involved. I'm looking forward to getting tons of good info on this forum and meeting new people at shows! - Katie

Hi Katie! Welcome from Alberta, Canada. How exciting! I love how inclusive mini showing is. I bet your mom will be thrilled to participate again. Will you be driving as well? That's my favorite part. Although we don't do "mini shows", because mine are not registered and there's very slim offerings for it up here, I love driving! I think the outfits are my favorite part! Especially the HATS!!!
Anyways, I bet you'll find loads of good information here. Please keep us updated on your progress and success. We'll be cheering for you.
- Amanda

Amanda, I always wanted to do the driving AQHA but there just weren't a lot of shows that had the class. So it was actually one of the reasons I wanted a mini. I absolutely LOVE the outfits! My oldest mini just started driving training (still just line driving) but I'm hoping to get to try him with a cart next summer at some point. My mom had a bunch of fun going to a few shows with me this year and I'm hoping to get my 13 year old son involved too!

That's so fantastic!!! I stopped riding for a while because I was unwell, but thankfully had these backburner driving minis that we played with just for fun. When it wasn't safe for me to ride, I could drive, and I found I loved it so much more than riding! I'm the president of a local driving club, even though I don't have very much driving experience, I know everybody in the province, it seems. And I like organizing fun events! So my daughter and I do little CDEs and have organized and participated in a pleasure driving show too. And my daughter ended up junior high point provincial champion this year with the mini mare she trained!
I hope you guys are able to get more involved yet in the minis and driving. Maybe try a CDE sometime! It's a blast.

Welcome Katie from north central Minnesota! Congratulations on your minis and awesome experiences!

Minis are absolutely a family affair from youngsters to any age, no limit! Enjoy the forum and as Amanda states - we’ll be cheering for you!

Latest posts

Back