Newborn filly has upset tummy...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cretahillsgal

Reaction score
My filly was born around 5:30 am. She has been eating well and has pooped several times. Thing is she will lay down and roll over to her back some. Like her tummy is hurting. I have given her 2 enemas today just to be sure. And the resulting poo was normal and what I would expect without much straining at all.

I havent seen her pee though. Doesnt mean she hasnt. I just havent seen her do it.

Also it has been a really hot day and we expect the same temps all week long. I have her and mom in shade with a fan and mister on them. But she was still breathing pretty hard earlier today when it was the hottest. What is the earliest you have shaved a foal. She doesnt have a whole lot of hair. But I would think it would help to get some of it off places like her belly and chest.

Would love to hear all your suggestions and thoughts on this. Can or should you give banamine? Or can foals this young get ulcers already? Should I give ulcerguard? Or something else?

adding that her current temp is 101 even and her resting respiration rate is 74 breaths per minute.

I would give probotics right away. Also young foals can have ulcers it wouldn't hurt to give her some ulcer gaurd. Her temp is a little high I don't know what your weather in your area is so that may contribute to the temp. If you are concerned enough to think of giving her banamine I would definately have the vet out to check her. Is the vet coming to do a new foal check.

I had one that ended up getting really really sick he seemed okay but within 24hours he was at the clinic with what they called acute cronic intestinal disorder. I ended up having to put him down because his poo just ran out of him and we couldn't keep him hedrated. We made the attempt to save him, but in the end we made the discision to put him in a better place.

Better safe than sorry I always say. Good Luck.

Well, congratulations Julie!

I think I would talk with a vet before administering much in the way of meds with a foal that young. The liver or kidneys aren't mature enough to process some things untill around 7 days so better safe than sorry on that one.

I have had some foals do quite a bit of rolling around when they were very new. They all were fine. I have wondered if it was the hay or straw or grass feeling strange to them?

The heat sure can be a problem for the newborns, but it sounds like you are taking steps to help that.

Good luck with that baby.

Charlotte

I totally agree with Charlotte. Congratulations on your new little one and we need photos!
default_biggrin.png

I also totally agree with Charlotte. I would get a vet out to examine her. These young foals go down so fast so its always best to call a vet in. I would be very hesitant giving her anything until the vet sees her.

Sending good thoughts

I would also agree that as long as she is pooping and eating well, a little rolling might mean that she is itchy from sweating and rolling just feels good! Both my foals have rolled in the new hay piles every time I put them in -right from the time they were born. Keep an eye on her temp and shaving her is a very good idea as long as she doesn't stress out about it---no more stress needed!!! PICS PLEASE!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

Morning all! She seems fine this morning. Was bouncing around the stall and nursing fine. So not sure what the problem was. Might be the hay itcing her. Or her tummy just getting used to the milk. But I did give her another enema and she had some pretty good poops. I am keeping a close eye on her. Our temps here are supposed to be over 100 this week. So she is under fans and misters during the day.

It is not uncommong for newborn foals to have gas colic - they frequently suck in a lot of air when they are looking for the teat and the most common sign of gas colic is the "upsidedown" look. I have Milacon drops on hand for this and have to use them fairly frequently - you can find Milacon in the baby section of your local grocery store.

Stacy

We clipped a foal at just two days old. He could not control his body temp yet and was very hot. And we had to keep rinsing him with cool water to get his temps down. Fans and misters were just not helping him, the air temp was so hot. He felt much better after we clipped him and was much easier to keep cool. Not a fancy clip, just hair off the body and neck.

I don't take chances with foals, always best to have the vet make a call.

Latest posts

Back