What would cause this?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DebbieRank

Reaction score
Hi, I have a pretty little filly (she's not quite 7 months old). Her front feet have begun to 'turn out' a bit, enough so that I'm told she shouldn't be shown. She was born with very straight legs. Was just wondering if anyone had seen this before and might know a cause.

Hi, I have a pretty little filly (she's not quite 7 months old). Her front feet have begun to 'turn out' a bit, enough so that I'm told she shouldn't be shown. She was born with very straight legs. Was just wondering if anyone had seen this before and might know a cause.
Trimming may help some. Our mini's front toes point out because he grows faster on the outside than inside. If we keep him trimmed he is very straight and has many points in halter. Your ferier should be a good source.

It does depend on where they turn out. Obviously my experience could be very different than yours but the ferier should be able to help if anyone can.

Do just her hooves look turned out or does the turn start farther up her leg, her knees, or her shoulers. Sometimes if horses have a narrow chest it looks like their legs are coming out of the same hole and they toe out. We cant really help you without seeing a picture of her from the front down at eye level. If you could get one of those we might have some ideas for you.

Lyn

It could be one of several things.

It could be trimming--if the hoof is left longer on the outside it will turn out.

It could just be a growth thing; I've seen foals that are born straight, then when they are a little older they will turn out on their front legs--it usually shows up before the age of 7 months though in these cases--then when they're getting close to a year old they're straight again--the chest widens, and the legs come straight. In these cases it usually appears that the entire leg turns outward, from where the leg meets the chest right down to the hoof.

It could simply be a conformation fault too. Just because a foal is born straight doesn't mean it will stay straight, even with correct trimming. People don't like to admit this & prefer to blame it on poor farriery, but sometimes it is a fault that takes some time to show up. As the foal grows & develops, leg conformation can change. A foal that appears to be base wide ends up straight once his chest develops. Another that looks perfectly straight at a young age can become base narrow/toed in when his chest widens... Those are just 2 examples.

Definitely at 7 months correct (or corrective) trimming can help immensely.

Let me just add that the original post didnt say anything about conformation problems or an issue that would indicate why this would happen.

Your vet can take a look at conformation, and the trimming job and recommend where to go from there. We have found over the years though, many problems occur from farriers who are not balancing feet correctly.

Another reason could just be the tempory narrow chest and no muscle stage. i have had growing foals do this and when they get more muscling and fill out their legs are perfectly straight again.

Pictures would probably be very helpful.

jennifer :saludando:

One more consideration. Halter is only a small part of showing. There are plenty of world champion horses that don't place well in halter if at all. If your horse moves well and is sound but not conformed well, driving, jumping showmanship etc are all quite possible.

Hi, and thank you so much for your suggestions. I know I should post a picture, but it's raining out today so not a good day (so far) to get one. Plus (this is probably silly, since I do very much want your advice) she isn't all bathed and clipped and pretty right now - and I just got done telling you she was a pretty filly! Not to mention that I am so darned bad at taking pictures <sigh>.

I do believe I have a really, really good farrier. He is also a trainer and breeder. While I know no one person knows everything, I do trust him very much. She does have a bit of a narrow chest, and it is his belief that is the cause. I am so hopeful she will grow out of it.

I sure wish I were better at conformation...it is hard for me to tell if it is indeed her entire leg or not. I will try to get a picture a bit later and post it here.

Thanks again - I appreciate it!

Debbie

bellaf906.jpg

Here is a pic of my weanling filly (aprox. 5 months here). She's standing not "quite" square, but this to me shows a reasonably straight weanling in front, and it appears to me (draw an imaginary line down from the point where the leg exits the shoulder and perpendicular to the ground. The center of her toe should still be within that line, for ideal/straight conformation.)

The point at which the leg deviates, be it knee, pastern, or even hoof, is where you will begin to see the issue of whether or not it is conformational.

No matter where it starts, corrective trimming can really be helpful especially when they're young, to encourage the joints to grow more straight, though I will say it may (and is likely to) require far more frequent trimming, it is WORTH It even if it's every two weeks, to be sure that filly ends up with the best conformation possible, as once they are approx. two years old, the window for changing those angles closes and you will be left with a maintenance issue of dealing with the deformity, if it is indeed such.

Sometimes these problems are caused by nutritional deficiencies, as well, and so another ally can be your vet. Get them to analyze your feed program as well as her condition, and see what they would suggest. I have seen young horses w/problems in their legs that ended up responding very well to some even slight nutritional changes.

Just throwing some ideas out there and trying to give you a photo of a horse where you might try taking a similar one for others to see and give opinions on.
default_smile.png

Or maybe someone could come on and point out what I'm so inept at!

Liz M.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back