Billy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Que sera!
Well, the mesquite beans are falling now so weight could get interesting.
I'm stuffing hay bag, cleaning manure, and wondering "who owns who here?" I've about decided to just let "what will be, will be".
So much cooler for him to hang out under a shady tree than standing in his hot shelter. But the shady trees are loaded with tasty mesquite beans...

For those of you who do not live in mesquite country, i thought you might like to see some. We have a lot of mesquite trees. Every spring we go around the whole property and spray the new ones, trying to keep them under control. They are a valuable food source for wildlife. Some people make the beans into flour. There are billions of them.

Attachments

• mesquite beans.jpg
    mesquite beans.jpg
    994.8 KB · Views: 0
Wow, I have never seen that. Those are long:oops:
I'm surprised you don't have mesquites there. Over the last 100 years they have slowly but surely moved up from Mexico. Oklahoma is about as far north as I've seen them.
I patrolled our little enclosed pasture this morning and none of the mesquites have beans, so Billy will be restricted to that area for a while.

That is such an interesting photo! Thank you! I’ve never seen a mesquite tree and it sure is fascinating!

I’m assuming mesquite flour is used like any other flour? It is always interesting to learn about the ways different areas use their natural resources.

I've managed to keep him away from most of the trees. I'm still seeing a few seeds in his manure, but I can live with a few. Pepper likes them also and finds a shady spot to lay and crunch them.
He had a bath this morning and a nice walk. Too hot to think of doing anything in the afternoon.

We are invited to the nursing home December 1. A new thing we are planning is to buy a bunch of simple gifts and put them in the saddle bags on one of our horses. I think i will put the jingle bells on Billy--we must do some practicing! Bells and his glitter boots are probably all I will do on him; he does not like stuff on his head and it will be easier for folks to pet him if he is not cluttered with decorations. First time going without Dapper Dan...

Oh, dear. I've been unhappy with Billy's hooves for a while, plus the clicking when he walks. My dil is a certified barefoot trimmer. Unfortunately, she moved to Canada so she cannot trim for me any more. I sent her pictures of Billy's hooves and a video of him walking. We will have a phone consultation next week.
The takeaway I got from her first observation is that he needs to be in the dry corral. Too much grass. Probably his weight contributes to the problems also. This is a total bummer for me. It makes me want to move to town and find a boarding place for him. All this beautiful pasture where I live, fencing system and shelters--and he cannot go out and "be a horse". What a waste. I'm frustrated (can you tell?).
My sister lives in town and boards her horses; I am tempted to put Billy there also.

As much as we adore having these wee souls as our companions and partners in all sorts of activities, they don't come without challenges either, do they? It's funny that our cultures communicate love with food. Indeed, love could well be a dry-lot pen with activities and care without food being the primary interaction or reward. However, when you've got the space to use, it does seem a waste to not have animals out to utilize the grass.
Do you think Billy would enjoy a change of scenery and company? You might enjoy having more horse people to connect with too?

As much as we adore having these wee souls as our companions and partners in all sorts of activities, they don't come without challenges either, do they? It's funny that our cultures communicate love with food. Indeed, love could well be a dry-lot pen with activities and care without food being the primary interaction or reward. However, when you've got the space to use, it does seem a waste to not have animals out to utilize the grass.
Do you think Billy would enjoy a change of scenery and company? You might enjoy having more horse people to connect with too?
Yes, Billy might enjoy it. But there is always the danger of catching something. Or people stopping by the feed the horses who-knows-what. I'll see how I manage him in the corral for a while. Spent the afternoon re-configuring my little horse barn to make the hay easier to get to. And I'll need to buy more hay. A whole pasture full of grass and I have to buy hay😵‍💫
The local farmers are not set up for doing hay work in small areas; their equipment is huge. And not many even have small balers anymore. I'll work it out somehow.

I can't remember, but have you tried a grazing muzzle on Billy? DJ wears one 9 months out of the year. But he shares an acre paddock with his daughter. There's not much grass, mostly weeds, and I don't feed hay except winter. But they still get fat, just not scary fat. I would have to go to extremes to have a dry lot where I live. Even my gravel areas grow weeds. Even the paved roads grow weeds in the cracks across them. 😄

No, I have not tried a grazing muzzle. It's hard enough for me to see him imprisoned in the corral. If I had to watch him wearing a muzzle I would be very sad. I am not cut out to be a policeman.
I can tell he is not happy. I put him on the stake twice a day to graze while cleaning corral and filling haybag. Brush him twice a day, and try to walk once a day. I hate this. He so much enjoyed cruising around the pasture, standing under his favorite tree to nap, sometimes being by the house and looking in the windows for us. Galloping from the far corners when I called him. But I will persevere.
My dil is calling on noon on Tuesday (she is in B.C.) and hopefully I will get more insight into his hooves. But I know in my heart is too much grass and too much weight causing the trouble. She said "he needs a diet alteration to help reduce inflammation in his hooves which makes the hooves weak and contributes to the distortion".
The barefoot farrier I've been using knows the mechanics of trimming, but he doesn't love horses. He keeps talking about horses in the wild and working cowboy horses having good feet. Well, what the heck does that have to do with Billy and me?? My dil loves horses, and is always educating herself about holistic methods. I'm looking forward to talking to her about Billy. My sister is also a horse lover and knows a lot about trimming. Hopefully when we get our heads together, we can come up with a plan.
Sorry to be long-winded --just need to vent to miniature horse folk a little.

It is frustrating sometimes to have animals and I think, speaking for myself, I get more frustrated in some circumstances than my mini/dog/cat/donkey! ;)

You list so many ways Billy found solace, fun, and exercise in the pasture, perhaps trying a muzzle and watching how he adapts over a week or so? The horses I’ve met with muzzles truly seemed comfortable and moved freely around their area. There are so many styles and varieties maybe one would fit the bill?

Have a great visit with your dil and all the best as you work out a plan! :)

Latest posts

Back