A just finished Breyer Cm,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zora

Reaction score
Here is a Breyer mini whinney custom I just did, 1 1/2'' tall.

Now she's an Akhal Teke horse.

Here are some pictures,

click to enlarge

Really nice work Zora! She looks alive! Great expression you produced with the eyes.
I like it too! That's talent!
default_smile.png

Nice job Zora!
default_aktion033.gif
That cantering model Micro Mini/Mini Whinny was always my favorite to customize. Remind me to post pictures of the collected dapply gray Andalusian I created from that mold.
default_wink.png
You did an excellent metallic Akhal Teke paintjob on this horse and I like how you thinned his neck as well. He's got a great expression! Have you considered thinning down the pasterns and lower legs as well? It helps tremendously with that mold as does shaving down that bulgy shoulder a bit.

Leia

Nice job Zora!
default_aktion033.gif
That cantering model Micro Mini/Mini Whinny was always my favorite to customize. Remind me to post pictures of the collected dapply gray Andalusian I created from that mold.
default_wink.png
You did an excellent metallic Akhal Teke paintjob on this horse and I like how you thinned his neck as well. He's got a great expression! Have you considered thinning down the pasterns and lower legs as well? It helps tremendously with that mold as does shaving down that bulgy shoulder a bit.
Leia

Thanks! The mini whinney legs are so thick.

I do sand them with sand paper but they're so bendy that I think making them really thin would make them pretty weak.

You could thin them and then strengthen with Epoxy putty though.

He is a little well rounded for an Akhal teke, I just always wanted to try that pretty shiny dun color.

I'd love to see you're Andalusian Cm:)

Zora said:
I do sand them with sand paper but they're so bendy that I think making them really thin would make them pretty weak.
Surprisingly it's not that bad. I shave them down with an Exacto blade then use small files to smooth the results. If you're concerned they may still be too bendy, glue the finished horse down to a small wood or sculpy base. With each individual leg secured and the entire unit put in a small box whenever it's shipped it should do just fine!

The problem is more that when the legs are so easily flexed it stretches the paint job and can cause cracking and peeling if the model wasn't carefully prepped. The legs themselves won't break and will support the horse's weight just fine unless you really go overboard with the thinning.
default_smile.png

Leia

Zora said:
Surprisingly it's not that bad. I shave them down with an Exacto blade then use small files to smooth the results. If you're concerned they may still be too bendy, glue the finished horse down to a small wood or sculpy base. With each individual leg secured and the entire unit put in a small box whenever it's shipped it should do just fine!

The problem is more that when the legs are so easily flexed it stretches the paint job and can cause cracking and peeling if the model wasn't carefully prepped. The legs themselves won't break and will support the horse's weight just fine unless you really go overboard with the thinning.
default_smile.png

Leia
That's a good idea, Thanks!

very Nice! I also customize models
default_smile.png
I mostly paint artist resins with pastels tho. What media did you use?

very Nice! I also customize models
default_smile.png
I mostly paint artist resins with pastels tho. What media did you use?
Thanks, I use Acrylic paint, just with a small paintbrush.

Then I coat the eyes in clear epoxy.

It would be neat to have an Airbrush someday though.

Your Website has some beautiful horses!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back