AMHR Nationals & AMHA World

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaroleSue

Reaction score
I have a question. If you do not attend AMHR Nationals and/or AMHA World why not, and if you do, why?

We usually try to attend one or the other every year, but did miss one year. We only attended both shows back to back one time and it was so stressful and expensive and such a long time away from home we will never do that again.

We usually opt to attend the World Show because AMHA is our main focus, but we do attend the AMHR Nationals a bit and really enjoy that show. We haven't been to Nationals for a few years and may go there this year. At least we will qualify our horses for both and see how the economy goes, and how gas prices go.

We just go to AMHR Nationals just for the fun of it, and we place thats even better. You get to meet new people or old people you only get to see at Nationals, and showing there is competely different then at a local show. The atmosphere just gets your heart pumping even if your just watching it. Lots of classes to offer and lots of fun. Of course there are your added stresses. Last year was stressful for me, just didn't enjoy it much. This year I can't wait, should be lots of fun.

I go to Nationals to compete and Worlds to watch. It's far easier and MUCH less expensive to qualify and enter Nationals than it is for Worlds.

Lucy

Despite all the bashing that sometimes takes place both organizations have a bunch of really nice people. People that we have been honored to meet over the years and only get to see once a year at the respective National/World show. It's a vacation and social event for us. If we happen to pick up a few awards that's even better.

It's also the only venue where I can competetively (sometimes it's hard to tell) drive my multi hitch.

default_smile.png

I don't go, primarily because it is so far from Connecticut. I don't want to put myself or my horses through the stress of the trip. I do think our horses could compete though, but I guess I will never know for sure.

I would love to make both entire shows every year, but for the same reasons Jody mentioned it's hard to do. The last couple of years we have gone to Nationals for the duration, and World for just a couple of days since it is close. I took Futurity horses last year, so could do it in 2-3 days and be back home.

It's fun to visit with folks you only see once a year, it's great to see how much better the competition gets every year....and of course it's a great opportunity to shop if you have anything left over by the time you get there LOL.

Jan

Where are the AMHR Nationals held? I am new to showing (I have my first show April 4th with the POHA club) and I don't really know anything about the AMHR Nationals. I live in SC and am not too fond of traveling far away from home so I guess if it wasn't in SC, GA, AL, FL, NC, TN or KY I probably wouldn't go. . . .

~Katie~

AMHR Nationals is held at Tulsa, OK and AMHA Worlds is held somewhere in TX, for the life of me I can't remeber where exactly.

I used to go to the AMHR National and then went to the AMHA World one year. (my horses did well in both, taking some Reserve National Champions and multiple Top 10's at the AMHR's, my goal was to do the same and more at the AMHA Worlds)

I enjoyed the World so much that year. Really well presented show, really nice people. The following year I tried to do both. That did not work, too much stress on the horses and money out of my pocket, so I decided to do only the AMHA Worlds since I really love that show!! I like the way it is run and the way they treat us.

I hopefully will be able to go to the AMHA Worlds every year as it is the highlight of my showing each year.(fun to see friends from all over the country) Plus it was a goal of mine to win one of those leather AMHA World Jackets.
default_laugh.png
Which I did last year. Now I want to be greedy and win some more.
default_smile.png
Lets not forget the really nice rosette ribbons and the horse trophy too.
default_smile.png

Besides, I am trying to breed National and World Quality Mini's. By going to the World, I am kept abreast of what is wining today, what horses and bloodlines I like, and what I need to do with my own breeding program. I am not one to go with the horse of the year, but the bloodlines that can produce the horse that will consistanly place at the Worlds.

Last edited by a moderator:
We go because its easy to say you have World or National quality horses, its a lot tougher to go and prove it. We pride ourselves in our horses and enjoy showing them off, taking them to the top level justifies what we are doing. Yes its expensive, but its our hobby of choice and we love it. And it is a long trip for us too, 18 hours to each one, but we prepare our horses well, take great care while traveling and they always arrive in good shape.

Most years we only go to World, but this year with two shetlands, we will go to Nationals as well. Then two different horses to World, the horses will be fine, we on the other hand will be road weary.

Speaking only for ourselves the following are some of the reasons we go to A & R nearly every year.

1. The people from around the country that comes with and without horses. It is always fun to catch up with folks we have met in previous years and find out what is went on in their lives during the preceding year.
default_saludando.gif

2. To compete against the best of the best. We have gotten to the point where our horses usually do very well at local or regional shows. Championship wins are usually very hollow if it is a poorly attended show. Nationals and Worlds are never at a loss for good horses.
default_aktion033.gif

3. Cindy is serious about improving the quality of horses each year and showing at the World or National show is an excellent proving ground on exactly where we stand and what we need to move towards with our breeding program as we breed what we show for the most part every year.
default_488.gif

4. Last but not least it is just fun to be around that many mini people for a couple of weeks. What more can you ask for great horses, great people and lots of fun.
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Bottom line if you have not been, you owe it to yourself to at least go and watch. You will so much better understand exactly what a national quality horse is and what it takes to get there in what ever disipline you are interested in. PLUS as I have said above it id great fun!!!!!!

The World show is in Ft Worth , Texas. I have been to both and they are both exciting and have lots to offer. I liked the World show because of the sale and pre-sale dinner which gives you a chance to see what current prices are like and see a lot of people in one room. Both shows are well worth going to see, even if you are not showing.

I also love going to FT Worth so we can eat at Uncle Julio's. LOVE that place.

Don't forget, there is no sale this year.

The cost limits me to picking one or the other. I historically go to AMHA and AMHR shows (enough to qualify either way), AMHA Central and then pick.

I live in Dallas so even if I don't have a horse at AMHA worlds, I go anyway. It's just a 45 minute straight-shot down 30W for me. Love to visit with folks, help out, see friends from the coasts I don't otherwise see during the year, and shop. ;)

I enjoy the Nationals because I know so many people there, it is a huge social event! BUT, I went to the world for the first time last year, made the 18 hour trek by myself, and had a ton of fun. The people are so nice, the show is so well organized and in all honesty that is where my little horses belong. I don't have shetlands or shetland/miniatures so I guess if it gets to the point that I have to choose, I'll go with Ft. Worth!
default_wub.png

We do not attend the AMHA World Show at all, we do attend the AMHR Nationals and the National Shetland Congress. We love going to both events and have a great time seeing everyone that we know and meet new people as well.

The shopping is great at Nationals for both merchandise and horses as well and we have a great group of a show family that we stall with every year and have alot of fun.

Its like being at the Super Bowl and its something to experience and see for sure. We wouldn't miss it for the world. Sometimes you actually come home with more horses than when you went out to Nationals and Congress like we did last year, not having any intentions of adding anymore horses and then you see one or a few that you have to have in your barn.

We look forward to going every year because most of the people we know are out of state and its like a big reunion with us all. Last year our group of show family had 72 stalls booked at Nationals and we had our own cook, farrier and two vets in our show family so that made things very nice for showing, doing the prep work and having some fun plus some good laughs.

Best advise is to take lots of spending money also, there are some bargains out there for supplies and anything that you might need to save on shipping costs for the following season and to get your clippers gone over and blades sharpened while there also.

It is just amazing the horses that are there and its the BEST of the BEST there competing and if you place its even better with all the excitement with everyone that you know cheering when you place.
default_smile.png

We love both registries, but can only usually go to one, time off etc. We chose the world show because of the futurity payouts. We usually can at least pay for our entries there. Our entries are generally run the same for the A and R.

I would love to go to AMHR next year. Can't see it in the budget this year, but im hoping I can start putting money away for 2010. If only it were closer.

Latest posts

Back