Canon Powershot S5

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca

Reaction score
I've been wanting a camera for years now, waiting and saving for a really nice one, I went into Best Buy a few days ago and say the Canon Powershot S5. Looked online and found it for about a hundred dollars cheaper, and it's gotten very good reviews!

Anybody here have one? If so what do you like about them? Do they take good action pictures? (I'm always taking pics of my girls, lol!)

I really enjoy photography and if this is a good camera I will definatley seriously consider buying it.

Look forward to reading what everyone has to say!
default_laugh.png

Thanks!

I don't have that one (but may get it!). I do have a Canon Powershot IS S3 and LOVE it. I bought it a couple summers ago and it takes outstanding action shots. I expect the new generation of it is even nicer (and this one is plenty nice -- huge zoom, great shots, quick response).

Here are some to give an idea, however, I edit the pictures to take up less room which reduced the resolution. The "originals" are even deeper.

Action shots:

Hope%20Whinny%20For%20Me%20Farm%20--%2011102006%20--%20192.jpg

Hope%20and%20Flirt%20--%2009092006%20--%20158.jpg

DUNIT%20--%2006232006%20151.jpg

Klassy%20Whinny%20For%20Me%20Farm%20--%2011102006%20--%20205.jpg

From way up in the stands:

DESTINY%20--%202006%20Lexington%20KY%20Show%20--%20023.jpg

Portrait setting:

Kelsey.jpg

Action shots:

Hope%20Whinny%20For%20Me%20Farm%20--%2011102006%20--%20192.jpg

[/img]

From way up in the stands:

DESTINY%20--%202006%20Lexington%20KY%20Show%20--%20023.jpg

Portrait setting:

Kelsey.jpg

Wow! That basically made me make up my mind!
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
Thank you for posting those, it lets me get an idea of what it might be like, if that's the 'older version' hehe! GREAT quality pictures compared to my current digital that I sahre with my family.

Anybody else?
default_laugh.png

We got one for Christmas! I've wanted one (well, an S-series Canon) forever but had to choose a smaller camera that would fit in my purse since I couldn't afford two. All of a sudden my mom has decided she's interested in photography so to my delight she asked for a nice high-zoom digital for Christmas and I steered her in the direction of the S-series. We debated between the S3 and S5 because the S3 had considerably faster continuous mode shooting but in the end chose the S5 because of the newer processor and face detection technology.

We unfortunately haven't gotten to play with it much yet as our weather (and hence our lighting) have been awful but so far I'm impressed. The flash recycles almost immediately and indoor shots are WAY better than any other digital I've ever had. We took it outside for one session with the horses between major rain storms and got the pictures I posted on the "Wild Stallion Attack" thread on the photo forum. That was our first attempt so I'm sure the settings weren't right but it still caught pretty good action for the truly awful lighting and no flash. I was disappointed with the continuous mode though, it's way slower than my A700.

I can't wait for sunnier weather to try it out. I think we're going to get some great shots this summer.

Leia

Hi,

I have to agree with Jill, I also have this camera, the S3 IS, and I love it. I purchased it when it was new on the market and paid quite a bit for it, but I dont regret it. Lately I have been taking wildlife pictures of the birds outside. Here are some shots of them, and keep in mind that these were taken also with a window in between.

IMG_2068.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2078.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

Talk about attention to detail!
default_biggrin.png
Especially compared to my digital. I have made up my mind....I'm ordering this camera ASAP!
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_wink.png

I have a Canon A75 and I love it! In my opinon Canon is the best brand for digital cameras. It is easy to use, but you can change the settings as well, the pictures come out great!

I just got a Canon Powershot SX 100IS I love it because I can't take a good picture if my life depended on it. I just stink. But with this new camera I have taken a couple of pretty good ones of the horses in the pasture. I love the 10X zoom on it and it takes great indoor pictures as well.

This is from across the pasture.

lovie1.jpg

This is about half the herd on the far side of the pasture.

herd07.jpg

This is inside during the day with no lights on. And just on a regular setting.

img_0008.jpg

Latest posts

Back