Changing Directions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

Reaction score
After 17 years breeding miniatures I have decided to move out of the 30 inch and under group and just concentrate on the over 30 inch horses. No problem with them at all. I was just finding myself drawn more to the bigger ones. I am still staying AMHA though.

It has been a tough decision as I have some awesome under 30 inch horses that have incredible pedigrees, color, and temperaments, and they are a joy to have here. Pocket pets really. Though they all were reliable breeders for me. They look for a crack in the barn door and can be found munching on the hay scraps !
default_wub.png

And you know these small guys have a huge heart and forget that they are small at all. They think big!

It turned out that these horses were all black frame overos or black frame tovero mares too.
default_no.gif

But I know there are people that just concentrate on the small horses and I am hoping they will find a small herd they can hang out with. I love them all so it is important where they end up.

I think I am much better at buying miniatures than selling them.
default_unsure.png
Especially the ones I have birthed out.

The mares really become part of me having gone through a birth or two with them.

I am sure there are other breeders out there that have changed directions. I would love to hear your stories if you have time to share them.

I bought my first under 34" mini and my first ASPC shetland pony the first week I started this journey. Originally I started out with a 30" stallion and bred for the tinies. I know a lot of small breeders say they have no trouble but for us it was heartbreaking. We just had so many problems breeding small miniatures. After a particulary bad foaling season I decided I was done with the small ones and dispersed my entire small mini herd. The only strictly mini I have left is the first one I bought and she ended up going over 34" and to this day has never had foal go even close to 34 even when bred to my 37" stallion. Go figure LOL

I then started putting together an ASPC/AMHR herd (4 years ago) as I felt and feel they are the best of both the mini and pony worlds.

We now have several ASPC registered only shetlands too

So even though we started little we have really changed since then.

I love to admire other breeders tiny miniatures but I will never ever breed them again. For us it was the right decision as our stress level and vet bills went down dramatically!

When we first got started in the minis all we wanted was the little ones but over time the little tiny ones kinda scare me and I also find that the taller ones have more of a horse look to them with better proportions. I love looking at the tinys too but I think I prefer mine to be 32-35. I do have a couple under 32 but mostly like to stick with those with more leg....
default_biggrin.png

I have friend that breeds the tinys and she has had more bad luck than anyone I know. I think I am convincing her to change her thinking a bit.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have also been selling my under 30" black Toveros. I'm not really breeding for tiny, but I always get some really nice smaller foals! I hate selling my smaller horses but I like the 31-34" ones and I can't keep them all! (as much as I've tried to LOL)

Problems breeding or foaling was not the issue. Just a change in mind set.

I have always been drawn to the tiny ones and only a couple years ago, when I got excited about driving again did I try for some taller "B" horses. I found it to be way too much work and have sold them all but one gelding and one mare. I think I will stick to my first love, the "littles"....
default_wub.png

When I got more involved with the Minis (from Morgans), my daughter got involved with them too, but she was into the really tiny ones. She had a stud that was 26 1/2" tall and her mares were almost all under 30". Mine where 30" and taller.

I had nice healthy foals, she lost everyone and lost the ability to breed to some of her smaller mares. She ended up getting out of Minis because of the heartbreak. (The smaller they are, the harder it is to get inside and be able to do anything too). I vowed never to have a breeding mare under 30". I do have one, she is 29", but she scares the heck out of me every time she foals. Her first foal had bent knees and I could not get the legs to straighten out, so he was born alive with the bent knees. He was fine after that, but it took a few years to get hr to cancieve and carry a foal again. She has since had 3 foals without a problem. Still......

I love the 31" to 33" horses and I love a 34" driving horse.

It is always interesting to watch folks as they become a permanent part of the mini community as you have been for years. Invariably they move toward the slightly taller horses it seems(with the exception of some of the good folks like Tony G. LOL), which we have found ourselves doing also.
default_yes.gif

We still have a core group of little ones that will die here I guess and we still produce the 30" and under horses each year. Additionally we have made great strides in getting the look we want in them, even though without the height it is a little harder to get the balance etc..
default_wink.png

But with that said the majority of the herd is geared toward the more competitive taller horses. As long as they stay under 38" it is fine with us as all of them are AMHA/AMHR registered and can go either or both ways. LOL
default_488.gif

I commend you though on having a plan both short term and long term plan for your herd. So many people just kind of coast along, breed anything to anything and then wonder why they did not get world champion results.
default_new_rofl.gif

Good Luck in your new direction, I bet you will be successful in it also.
default_saludando.gif

Joanne Im sorry if you didnt like my answer but that is the only way I can answer. That is why we changed direction and went on another path-mindset

I dont breed anything, but from a buyers standpoint, I wont purchase anything under 32", and thats really pushing it for me. I prefer the 33"-34" horses. Much more versatile. When they are done with halter, they can go on to hunter or driving, and so forth. I know a lot of the small horses drive and jump, but they generally just cant compete with the 33" and taller horses.

Kay I was not upset with your answer at all ! I want people to be honest and share their experiences. I just wanted to be clear that in MY case, it was not the problems with the small ones that made me get out of them.

I lust after your tall jet black frame overo stallion, and admire your breeding program. What is so wonderful about the minis is that there is something for everyone. And Thank God there are those that specialize in one size or another!! I do believe in specialization and that we can make great strides if we are centered in our goals.

I often look at my Paint Horse Journal and sigh that I wish a particular horse were mini size. The funny thing is that I have full size horse paint breeders that lament that mine are minis instead of full sized horses
default_new_rofl.gif
The grass is always greener I guess.

My reason for explaining that it was not problems that moved me away from the small ones, but rather just seeing what I was producing and what I wanted to wake up and see in the morning. I do this 24/7 365 days, and I feel I have done the small ones. I have ones with excellent leg to body proportions and know what to breed mine to in order to get conformation and color in a small package.

But when I look at my offspring and decide which to keep for my own program, I am not keeping the small ones. From a sales standpoint this might not be the right move as the small horses sell great here.

I also will keep some of my older small mares that I have had since I started and are worth more to me than money can buy. We just have too much history together and we know each other's flaws too well.

Oh, and I love them too much.
default_wub.png

What i love about AMHR is that i can have a 32" horse on my show string, as well as a 38" horse ... i am not real picky on height but i admit my preference is 32-34" height range although i could not imagine having all tinys around here. With my shetlands i like taller classics, in the 42-45" range.

Your horse are just great all around and i have always admired your pinto program, so i feel size is just a small part of what makes your horses so great
default_yes.gif

We started with 1/2 Shetland and taller miniatures got a few of the under 34 but went to breeding double registered Shetlands. Have two older B mares that we wont part with and breed them to our under 34 Shetland. We love the Shetlands and that is were are breeding program is with Classic Shetlands mostly B size but a few Shetlands that will be A size.

I AM REALLY PROUD OF JOANNE AND HER BREEDING PROGRAM. SHE ALWAYS SHARES HER KNOWLEDGE ON THE FORUM IN A POSITIVE WAY.
default_aktion033.gif
I WOULD PROBABLY WALK TO CALIFORNIA (LONG WAY FROM N.C.) TO EVEN LOOK AT JOANNE'S HORSES IN PERSON...
default_worshippy.gif

I AM VERY INTERESTED IN THE PINTO PATTERNS AND WHY WE GET THE PATTERNS WE DO.

I BEGAN WITH MINIS IN 2000 AND REALLY HAD NO DIRECTION OTHER THAN HAVING THE NOTION I COULD HAVE MORE HORSES IF THEY WERE SMALLER IN SIZE. THEN MY FOCUS WAS ANYTHING BUT SOLID RED. I FOUND THE PINTO FOALS ALWAYS SOLD QUICKER THAN THE SOLIDS. THE TOBIANO PATTERN IS THE MOST COMMON FOR MINIS. SO TO TRY TO BE A LITTLE DIFFERENT… I BOUGHT A CREMELLO STALLION (THAT TAKES CARE OF THE RED) AND I AM TRYING TO FIND MARES THAT WILL COMPLEMENT THE COLOR HE WILL PRODUCE AND PUT OVERO OR SABINO MARKINGS ON THEIR FOALS. I AM ALSO INTERESTED IN THE CHAMPAGNE COLORED HORSES AND I HOPE THAT BECOMES POPULAR AMONG MINIATURE ENTHUSIAST. I PREFER HORSES OVER 30”. I HAVE A VARIETY OF HEIGHTS AND MY FAVORITE IS PROBABLY 32” – 33”. EVEN IF I DIDN’T BREED, MY DIRECTION WOULD BE A HORSE THAT IS JUST PRETTY TO LOOK AT. I THINK WE ALL FINE TUNE OUR PROGRAMS TO SOME EXTENT ALONG THE WAY. AFTER NINE YEARS I FINALLY HAD TWO FOALS THIS YEAR THAT I WAS PROUD TO SAY I RAISED.

THANKS TO ALL MEMBERS ON THE FORUM THAT OFFER GOOD ADVICE… HATS OFF TO MONA FOR BEING A RESPONSIBLE, HONEST MINIATURE HORSE BREEDER!
default_yes.gif

I noticed your foal getting taller over the last couple years. I will always prefer those under 30" but I do not breed. Any size, your horses are always outstanding !

Last edited:
Thank you Leeana and Angela for your kind comments about my breeding program. I was taken aback as I was not expecting that response and I do appreciate it.
default_yes.gif

Angela I know you do not comment often, so I feel honored that I was able to get a response from you. I know we communicated a while ago about color genetics (a subject I adore!!). You are welcome here at any time. Your guest room will be waiting. Perhaps driving a mini across country would be better than walking??

Our focus has been on great leg to body proportions, no matter what the size. Even our under 30 inches produced that refined type of small horse, not pony look. That is the core of the breeding program. I adore the Arabian and Thoroubred look. The lean, refined look. But I have balanced that with some refined quarter horse types that cross well with my refined stallions.

The biggest challenge to a serious breeder is knowing how to use the horses you have to achieve your goals.

Thanks so much Joanne. And I love your horses too! And your cam. Us pinto lovers have to stick together!
default_biggrin.png

I can totally relate to this topic. I had a few minis over ten years ago and gave had to give them up due to a cross country move and divorce. I had wanted minis since I was a child, I had dreamed and dreamed of them. Tiny Tiny Little horses! I thought of little horses so small I could carry them around. lol

One of the first minis I bought way back then was a 24" two year old filly. Then a few other horses. Went to my first show, tried jumping and then came home, looked at my little 24" filly and thought, "What the heck and I going to do with her?". lol

It was almost ten years before I got Miniature Horses again. That is a lot of time to think about what you really want your horses to be. I knew this time I wanted performance horses and that my preference was for the taller ones. I have only bought AMHA horses except a couple of mares that I truly believe are worth hardshipping, though I plan to add anyone who is only AMHA into AMHR eventually as well. I like mine to be 32"-34". But, I would take a 35" gelding over a 31" gelding any day.

I have totally discovered that I am not even a 30" and over person, I am seriously 32" and over.

Latest posts

Back