Checking if mares are in foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
We checked our first mare in 2004 and she was confirmed in foal by ultra sound

ended up not in foal.

So since then we have used blood tests

which have been right for our mares 12 times since then without fail

now this year out of 5 mares that tested in foal by blood test

in late summer early fall. 2 have come up not in foal and probably a 3rd who is due 6/16

and she is not showing any signs and even came into heat.

only 2 have been right so far

So we are re thinking how we check our mares after this strange year

What do you prefer to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
After a false pregnancy in 2007, we learned to not rely on a single test or US. That mare had been confirmed in foal by ultrasound and then must have lost it. So we still ultrasound, but if we have ANY doubt at all later in pregnancy, I will do a Wee Foal urine test to confirm. That will detect a false pregnancy. I have also used the Pregnamare blood tests and they have been accurate on the two mares we tested.

If they do not come back in heat I wait and feel for foal movement by the time they are about 5 months along. Some of mine actually start to look in foal even before that.

But that is by far the most accurate way I have ever found in 21 years of breeding.

Susan O.

We ultrasound. An early pregnancy can still be lost. We follow them through their pregnancy so we are not waiting for nothing.

They can absorb them in the early stages and slip them later without your ever knowing.

Finicky group .... mares !

I ultrasound after the first month and continue to have them palpated and/or US for the next several months to make sure they have not lost the foal. Expensive-YES, but worth the knowing for sure!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

I don't test. My vet doesn't have the right ultrasound tips. When I first got my minis we weren't sure if some of the mares were in foal or not.....my vet's us ended up worthless to me. I have a short breeding period because I want them done before show season. So for me they either catch or they don't.
default_rolleyes.gif

What do you prefer to use.
A stallion!
default_biggrin.png
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
default_rolleyes.gif
After going out of heat, I start watching/checking mares back to a stallion starting on day 14. Teasing is my preferred method and the cheapest. However, I do have an excellent vet here that both palpates and ultrasounds. I do have a few mares that might be in question ultrasounded or palpated every year plus any bred mares I have for sale.

My vet is tiny and palpates. It's been pretty accurate so far. Had one palpated in January as open, but she said it was weird. I thought oh no, there's something wrong. Turns out she was just bred and she foaled in November.

Also had a friend take a horse to same vet and she said open, but she was bred.

Not perfect. But pretty safe.

I LET THE STALLION HELP... HE IS THE CHEAPEST!

I HAVE THE VETS WHERE I WORK (WE HAVE 2 WOMEN) PALPATE THEM. I DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR THAT BUT I TRY TO THINK ABOUT MY MARES COMFORT, SO I DO NOT DO IT MORE THAN NECESSARY... OUCH! I ALSO HAVE A CHART I WRITE THE BREEDING DATES ON, SO IN 14 DAYS I START WATCHING TO SEE IF THERE IS ANY "ACTIVITY" THAT TAKES PLACE.

If they do not come back in heat I wait and feel for foal movement by the time they are about 5 months along. Some of mine actually start to look in foal even before that. But that is by far the most accurate way I have ever found in 21 years of breeding.

Susan O.

That's what I've done/am doing. In foal, great! Not in foal, no biggie
default_wink.png
To go on from another thread, I'm not in it for the money (probably costs more to have a foal than not...).

If they do not come back in heat I wait and feel for foal movement by the time they are about 5 months along. Some of mine actually start to look in foal even before that. But that is by far the most accurate way I have ever found in 21 years of breeding.

Susan O.

That's what I've done/am doing. In foal, great! Not in foal, no biggie
default_wink.png
To go on from another thread, I'm not in it for the money (probably costs more to have a foal than not...).

We've done everything posted........and if it were an "outside" breeding, we'd have an utra-sound done.......

For our own, we do the watch and check method like described above.......Our mares and stallions tell us more often than not.

Sounds bad, but if you keep a "horse calender" it sure helps!

If they don't come back in after the first breeding cycle - according to the stallion - I have them ultrasounded. Once they are confirmed in foal, I generally don't vet check again unless there is an obvious question although I do watch behavior and notice how they are around the boys. Our vet is terrific with ultrasounds and I don't think to date that she has missed one for us (or even been off on the time).

Jan

Latest posts

Back