Foaling myths and realities

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While we are on the topic of foaling myths & reality - can someone clarify what to do with the umbilical cord??? Tie & cut or let it break by itself??

By the way that is ridiculous pricing on the approach your vet takes on banamine, you can buy it over the counter here in the USA at places like Tractor Supply.
John, you can buy Banamine at TSC? It's considered a prescription medication so I'm surprised. I'm going to have to look into that!

I do know that some meds/vaccines are available in some states but not others. Since I'm close to Texas and do most of my shopping there, I'm going to check at TSC next time I'm there.

DITTO DITTO DITTO to everything Becky has said ---

We always have Banamine on hand in our horsey medicine cabinet. And for those who have a vet who won't sell you even a tube of the paste???? Establish yourself with a new vet. (We have encouraged the use of banamine for the broodmare immediately after birthing for years....Thank you Becky.) We use the liquid orally, 1cc per 100 lbs.

We also worm our mares with Ivermectin at the same time we give the Banamine.....This is followed with a dish full of grain........ It really does help keep the poor momma on her feet which allows some time for their newborn to investigate where the groceries come from.

We tend to milk some colostrum from the mare and give it to the foal - giving the baby a jumpstart in its search. It also helps relieve some of the mare's cramping before the Banamine kicks in.

Oxytocyn is also another drug we keep on hand, but only use on the advice of our vet. And yes, we also feel that after three hours if the placenta hasn't passed it is a concern and we begin to consider it as "retained".

Yep,

I thought maybe I was dreaming or something. But Cindy said yes that is where she gets hers (TSC) and in fact bought a couple of tubes Saturday. Our vet was the one that told her to go there to get it, as it was cheaper than he could buy it for. LOL

ditto on the three hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
While we are on the topic of foaling myths & reality - can someone clarify what to do with the umbilical cord??? Tie & cut or let it break by itself??
Targetsmom - Let it break by itself if it will. It helps to close it off if it breaks naturally. This normally occurs when the mare stands up after foaling. It's good for the mare to lie quietly for awhile after foaling as there is still an amount of blood being passed to the foal from the placenta even after birth. However, no need to panic if the mare jumps up right away. The foals generally are fine anyway. In case the mare gets up and the cord doesn't break, then you will need to tie it off and cut it. Generally, that's about 2 -3" from the foals body. You don't want to leave it long.

Another thing I want to mention while on the subject - disinfecting the umbilical stump. This should be done initially when the cord breaks and then again 2 - 3 times per day for about 3 days. The umbilical stump is like an open wound and should be treated as such. Left untreated, it is a pathway for bacteria to enter the foals' body. Treat it until it dries up. Either a gentle iodine or dilute Nolvasan works well.

Wow, John, that is really interesting! I'll have to check with my local TSC.

Freeland, let me know what you find.

I apply iodine to the stump for several days but does anyone apply it to the bottom of the foals hooves? It seems somewhere I read to do that?
default_unsure.png

I had a mare who with 2/3 foals the cord did not break. I followed the advice from "The Complete Book of Foaling" by Karen E.N. Hayes, DVM, MS. I had it marked with a sticky note and I'm so glad I did!! Page 121 reads "With very few exceptions the umbilical cord should be allowed to rupture on its own, that is, it should not be cut or ripped by human attendants, since the odds of bleeding and contamination are increased with such intervention. One exception would be if the mare passes the afterbirth while the umbilical cord is still intact. Similarly, if the mare is very weak and is unable to rise for a long while after foaling, manually stretch and break the cord at its predetermined breaking point after 15-20 minutes. Cutting it with scissors or a knife is not advised since the stump will almost alway bleed and must be tied off, leaving it vulnerable to infection."

If you feel about 1.5-2" from the foal's belly, you can feel a weak spot in the cord--a place where's there's an indentation. This is where I would sort of knead with my fingers and it would easily break. I then disinfected it immediately.

Yep, I read that same page in the book, but when my vet was here for our one and only live foal, he tied and CUT the cord.... I guess I should have questioned him about it, but after what we had just been through, it didn't occur to me.

I agree with your vet, we tie and rough cut the cord at the desired length which is about 1 1/2 - 2" as we are cleaning eyes, clearing the mouth etc. etc. Then put a betadine iodine solution wash over it for a few seconds.
default_wink.png

Too many times I have seen the baby or mom struggle after stepping on the cord and it ends up too short or herniating area where it goes into the body.
default_sad.png

Quicker, safer and in our opinion better than taking the chance of injury.
default_biggrin.png

Sorry, I'm back.....
default_rolleyes.gif
Thought I'd give my two cents on a couple of new subjects that have come up.....

The umbilical cord --- Normally it snaps on its own at the weak/narrow spot that Barnbum quoted from the book by Karen Hayes.....I've found that if it doesn't? You can find that weak spot on your own and pull, much like it happens naturally, with the Iodine or Nolvasan right there to douse with. And yes, repeat dousing several times.

I still like to keep the scissors and twine or dental floss handy JUST IN CASE.

The other subject that I saw was regarding the availability of Banamine........??? In most areas people can only get it through their vet, either directly or with a prescription via a catalog. HOWEVER, I do know that some rural farm stores in some places make the PASTE Banamine available. I know of one such store in our area, but you have to be a regular customer and have to ask for it.

We personally purchase Banamine from our vet and only in liquid form. We have three vets we have good relationships with, who know us, know how we use it, and why we need it, so there's never been a problem purchasing it. As I stated in a previous post, if I came across a vet who questioned or refused selling it to me, I would tell him he no longer was my vet and would locate another. (Just my opinion.)

Latest posts

Back