How to get a young stallion to breed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in the same boat. He couls care less. I am just hoping he comes around. I am trying everyone's suggestions and hope sthing works! Soon!!

Perhaps time is all he needs. Wait for next heat cycle or next breeding season. Maybe he is just a late bloomer
default_smile.png

Just to let you know there is hope lol….. We got a new stallion at the end of February, he is five but he has never bred a mare. We did a lot of the things suggested here, like hand breeding with a more experienced mare. He practiced every time one of his mares came into heat. FINALLY, yesterday it all seemed to click with him and he bred both of his mares. I might hate myself next year if both foal at the same time but for now I am excited…..it does all pay off in the end if you practice with him….. Mine already thinks he is a pro. By the way mine had the exact same problems you are describing, I just think yesterday both mares were ready and everything just clicked for him.

Want to borrow my yearling colt? Dear heavens I've had to take all his toys away before he hurts himself!!!!!!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

LOL You and I are in the same boat. This past week my little fella lost his senses. That will be remedied shortly. Can't stand the sneaky biting. Call them history.

Anyway if your stallion is shy maybe he needs a quite mare for his first love.

I worked at a big horse breeding farm and was the stallion handler for many years. We bred mostly artificial. We had 3 stallions.

Stallion #1 after lunch give the shank a jingle when you walked into the barn he was ready sometimes he would just run for the dummy and never look at a mare in the teasing chute. LOL

Stallion #2 exact opposite. He didn't like music on (what a romantic LOL), no one could be out working in the barn, tractors, ect. He would just be distracted. He was very shy. He didn't like tall dark mares, but put a small chestnut mare in there and he was more into it and it didn't matter if she was in heat or not. But a big dark mare you could be in there for hours.

Stallion #3 he loved the squeally type of mares. He loved to talk to then for ever. But he did his job.

I would try just leaving them alone maybe he is a little to immature. Maybe he is sensing your anxiousness and frustration. It is only April you have plenty of time. He will figure it out. Maybe just leaving him alone and not being so stress out when he seem interested his light bulb will just go on.

Good Luck and be patient.

Want to borrow my yearling colt? Dear heavens I've had to take all his toys away before he hurts himself!!!!!!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
I worked at a big horse breeding farm and was the stallion handler for many years. We bred mostly artificial. We had 3 stallions.

Stallion #1 after lunch give the shank a jingle when you walked into the barn he was ready sometimes he would just run for the dummy and never look at a mare in the teasing chute. LOL

Stallion #2 exact opposite. He didn't like music on (what a romantic LOL), no one could be out working in the barn, tractors, ect. He would just be distracted. He was very shy. He didn't like tall dark mares, but put a small chestnut mare in there and he was more into it and it didn't matter if she was in heat or not. But a big dark mare you could be in there for hours.

Stallion #3 he loved the squeally type of mares. He loved to talk to then for ever. But he did his job.
Hilarious! They really are like people sometimes!

I feel for you, I wish I had that problem with my 8 month old colt, just keep trying to catch everything down and in place so I can call the Doc and take care of this hormone headache!!!

I am trying!!! It is so hard to hand breed because she keeps kicking him and then he gets more shy! Ugh!!!I am being patient. I just keep watching and hoping. I am sure it iwll be soon
default_wacko.png
Congrats to the foal just born!!!!

I think the clue is that the mare keeps kicking him. In my opinion, it sounds like she is not ready. Nathan is right in that it is hard for some colts to become dominant when they are still youngsters in their minds. Try a less aggressive mare. Definitely hand breed and you may want to look into breeding hobbles for her so she can't kick him.

When I bred show dogs, I had a very reliable and experienced stud dog. With one bitch he refused to breed her because she was very aggressive towards him. He finally had had enough and put her in her place. Then he consented to breed her. The poor owner of the bitch was a bit shocked, but understood the process. The next time we went to breed that bitch, she was very polite to the stud, lol.

Latest posts

Back