It's been over six years,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
I got Rosie (High Play S) just over six years ago, she has the most gorgeous coat year round and moves like a big horse! But, except for an occasional pat on the rear she didn't want any one near her. Before I got her she had spent 4 years out in a pasture. Doing her feet is an all day affair and no fun for anyone. She is an extremely easy keeper, is the boss mare, protector and is perfect at her job.

This afternoon I was out cleaning the barn and took a pocket full of horsey Christmas nuggets. Normally Rosie stands back and watches as the rest attack me for their treat. But she walked up closer, I held out my hand with a treat and she knocked it off, then ate it. She came back, again I held out my hand and she took it!!
default_smile.png
Then another, and another, LOL. I went to share with the others and felt her behind me, I turned around and reached for her, she didn't move, and for the first time I rubbed her between the eyes, down around her chin and gave her scratches. She took another treat from me,,,now my pocket is empty, but she continues to nudge up against me,,,and I stand and let her. I reached to pet her and again she stood and accepted the rubs a long her neck.

I went back out just over an hour later, filled my pockets, and to my surprise Rosie was the FIRST to greet me! Did I say it's been SIX years? Needless to say the girl is full of Christmas treats!! I have no idea what happened or why now, but it was one of my happiest horse moments and only another horse person, you, would understand.

Do you have a Rosie in your barn? It may take awhile, but there is always hope,,,just when you least expect it!

That is simply wonderful!!!!! I am so happy for you!!!

default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png

I think it took me about the same amount of time with a rescue mare I got for her to come and take cookies. After dealing with her. I dont go into the pasture with out them. Now most of mine will come and greet me right when I walk out. They are not pushy but most know I have some, somewhere. I have a second mare that today was the first day I was able to walk thru the barn and slide my hand down her back with out running off. And I ran into her by accident and before she would run and spook. I fell into her and she just ignored it. It is so wonderful when they start to really come around and there is a BIG break through!

Congrads.

I'm such a sap, that put tears in my eyes!
default_wub.png

I think not only is she full of Christmas cookies, she's full of CHRISTMAS!

That right there was an awesome gift to get!
default_wub.png

Thats wonderful!! Uh I just love when you finally get any animal to have a break through. I purchased my "special" mare becuase of her terrified attitude. I wanted to help her and it took me a little while to finally find something that she would connect with me with. A bunch of treats later, introduced the clicker and boom. A changeing horse. Found something she enjoyed. The clicker and learning. This girl just loves to please me. :eek:) Congratulations on your break through!

REO, I'll join you in the sappy tree...

Thank you, Carolyn, for sharing that wonderful experience. My formerly feral rescue kitty, Willoughby, sat on my lap as I read your story. When we got him he hated people, then learned to like men but hated women, then finally turned into the Kitty God of Love. Amazing how animals change once they learn to trust!

Maybe it is just Christmas! Rosie is very strong both mentally and physically. The first time I tried to clip her she pulled out a t-post to get away, we don't clip any more. She has attacked raccoons to save a foal that wasn't hers, she will go after any dog not ours, she bolted through a cattle panel to scare off 2 coyotes, and herds up all the other horses if she feels there is a danger. When the wind blew our barn down 3 years ago she had all the other horses at the opposite end of the lot, wouldn't let any go towards the barn.

There have been many offers on her, especially when people see her move. I never thought anyone would understand her and didn't want to take a chance, but really, she is worth her weight in gold!

I can't tell you how many times I just wanted to tie her up and make her stand there until she came around, no matter how long it took! I have worked with her until I was blue in the face, and walked away shaking my head. I can't even begin to tell you how I felt when I walked today. It was a connection 6 years in the making.
default_smile.png
. I hope she feels it as much as me.

I know what you mean, my mom kept urging me to sell my mare. Because she was hard to catch. An at night when we would put her foal and her in, my mom could never get her to go in a stall. She would be cussing her. I would walk up an tell her to open the stall door and turn your back to her and she would run in the stall. But you would have to take all the pressure off of her to go in. It took a year before you could just walk up and open it and her go in with you looking at her.

Last year was the first time she walked up to mom for a scratch and to be caught and go into a stall.

An I will say her personality change has made her foals much easier to work with.

default_wub.png
We have a amhr mare named Dolly that is like your Rosie. She has wonderful bloodlines and I know one day it will happen for us too. She has at times allowed me to touch her and has now been allowing some touching on her hip so one day...
default_wink.png

I am very happy for you and I can tell that you are very pleased... way to go for hanging in there. I would have given up a long time ago. Good for you.
default_thumbup.gif

You bet "we" understand. What a nice Christmasy present! Thanks for the story.

Such a heart warming story (tear jerker). I just loved the final out come.
default_wub.png
I am so glad that it has finally come to where you both have connected with one another.
default_biggrin.png

I also have a mare like that. When I got her she was very frightened of people and very very head shy and was the hardest ever to catch. Wouldn't come within 15 feet of you. She too has came along way. I am able to comb and brush her finally without having to tie her up. She is still a little leary but will take treats from my hand. I do have better luck when it comes to catching her also, I just put my arm around her neck and she will stop. But if my husband tries she is gone like a flash.

She was one of the very first mini's that I had purchased. She is not registered and has had one foal and is an excellent mother. I have thought of selling her, but I am afraid of someone else being mean to her and I couldn't live with that. She is the only one that I have that is not registered, but because of who she is (being my first mini and I do LOVE her
default_wub.png
) she will probably always be here with me and the rest of my kids.

Thanks again for such a terrific story right here at Christmas time. I am very happy for you!
default_biggrin.png

Have a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!!

I thought she was coming around once before, but it was very short lived,,,I do believe this time is different. I have been back out several times today, just to see, her look is different and she has come to me each time.

For you who do have a Rosie in your barn it'll happen,,,just give it time, give them love from afar,,,AND Christmas nuggets!!!

YES! Know EXACTLY what you felt..........It's a wonderful warm prickly feeling of wanting to HUG!
default_biggrin.png

But if you did hug her, you'd probably have to start all over again! LOL!

That's awesome!! The first time my emotionally withdrawn, afraid-to-love Arab nickered at me three or four years after I got him I burst into tears and hugged him, then ran to tell Mom blubbering like a baby. Every little sound from him to this day (almost 15 years later) still makes my heart glow.
default_wub.png

Ain't love wonderful??
default_cheers.gif

Leia

Awww she sounds like a special gal! just like her momma!!!

I got Rosie (High Play S) just over six years ago, she has the most gorgeous coat year round and moves like a big horse! But, except for an occasional pat on the rear she didn't want any one near her. Before I got her she had spent 4 years out in a pasture. Doing her feet is an all day affair and no fun for anyone. She is an extremely easy keeper, is the boss mare, protector and is perfect at her job.This afternoon I was out cleaning the barn and took a pocket full of horsey Christmas nuggets. Normally Rosie stands back and watches as the rest attack me for their treat. But she walked up closer, I held out my hand with a treat and she knocked it off, then ate it. She came back, again I held out my hand and she took it!!
default_smile.png
Then another, and another, LOL. I went to share with the others and felt her behind me, I turned around and reached for her, she didn't move, and for the first time I rubbed her between the eyes, down around her chin and gave her scratches. She took another treat from me,,,now my pocket is empty, but she continues to nudge up against me,,,and I stand and let her. I reached to pet her and again she stood and accepted the rubs a long her neck.

I went back out just over an hour later, filled my pockets, and to my surprise Rosie was the FIRST to greet me! Did I say it's been SIX years? Needless to say the girl is full of Christmas treats!! I have no idea what happened or why now, but it was one of my happiest horse moments and only another horse person, you, would understand.

Do you have a Rosie in your barn? It may take awhile, but there is always hope,,,just when you least expect it!

Latest posts

Back