"Lethal" Defects in my Mini Stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintNminis

Reaction score
These are Pics of my Deaceased Perlino Appy He was 3 Years old Perfectly Healthy or so we thought. He had a Deformed Intestine and a Wall of Water Around his Heart, He was Never Sickly Acting always happy full of Engery One day he got sick called out our vet and he Couldn't find any thing wrong the next day he was Dead
default_sad.png

this is his small intestine it is only 2 ft long when it should have been 25ft Long

autopsy2.jpg

Then this is his other Intestine Defect notice how small it is right in the Middle?

It should be huge but it looks like someone Pinched it right in the Middle.

autopsy3.jpg

autopsy4.jpg
autopy1.jpg

Our Vet said he had NO Idea how he lived so Long.

Oh my gosh!!! What a shame, I am so sorry!!

I am sure that is a rarity, and the vet is stumped! I would be. There is no telling, when you buy a horse even with a pre purchase, to detect odd things like this and who would ever know. I am glad you had an autopsy done so you would at least have knowledge as to what happened.

A friend of mine had a stunning little gray stallion that was about 8 years old. He had been driven and was really coming along on the show scene here. One day he dropped dead. Turned out he had a heart defect that no one knew about and he had never been sick a day in his life, or exhibited any problems.

I think your little guy there was a scientific wonder, and miracle, that he did live that long!! Again, so sorry for your loss- that must be heartbreaking. I have never heard of that actual sitution. Hugs to you.

I am so terribly sorry for the loss of your precious boy. My heart just breaks for you.

Tammie~

I am sooo sorry. The pics did not show up but I feel so bad for you.

First of al I'm so sorry about your loss, and may he rest in peace.

Next no pictures show for me, dreaded red X's , but found description very interesting and wow how Did he live so long?!

Makes us realize what a miracle it is when they (and us) are all out together properly upon entering this world eh?

Maxine

I'm so sorry.
default_sad.png
It's just like all living things tho....one never knows who long we have on this earth. Any one of us could be gone tomorrow from some unknown condition. At least it sounds like he didn't have to suffer long.

I couldn't get the pics either. I right clicked on the x & highlighted the addy...then copied & pasted into the search engine & got this message:

Sorry, this GeoCities site is currently unavailable.

The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later.

Are you the site owner? Avoid service interruptions in the future by increasing your data transfer limit! Find out how.

I'm sorry for your loss, but glad you were able to find out the cause. I would guess these things are a bit more common than we suspect, we just 9 times out of 10 never know about it. I have a stallion whose intestine was formed in such a way that he was prone to having it twist. We took him in for emergency colic surgery as a yearling (very nearly dead when we got there) - just a few months after we bought him - and they were able to attach it to the belly wall and hopefully prevent a reoccurance. He's 9 now, with no more issues although he is on a restricted diet. Vet said it was congenital, just one of those things that likely happened in utero, and not a heritable concern.

Jan

So sorry about your stallion! Your pics did not come up and I cant get your web up either. I would love to see them for educational reasons.

So sorry for your loss, thinking of you.

Pictures do show now... never seen this before... thanks for sharing... :no:

Those look like my Pics thanks for Posting them

and thanks to all your Kind Thoughts
default_smile.png

It was the Sadest Day when he left the World
default_sad.png

This was him the Summer Before he Died he was 2 in this Pic
default_smile.png

Can you tell why I loved him
default_wub.png
: not because of his Beauty he had the "Best"

Personilty

webrope.jpg

He would back his Butt up to you so you could give it a Rub

First-my condolences on the loss of your well-loved little guy! What a shock this must have been....

After reading your post, and viewing all of the photos, I find this an amazing case. The photos illustrate, so me at least, a similarity to what I've seen described as the manifestation of what happens to the intestines/ gastrointestinal tract of lethal white foals--and it made me wonder if this horse *might* have been some sort of an 'incomplete'(for want of a better word)lethal white, who managed to survive for a time because the defect was not as 'complete' as it would commonly be?? I went to the Cremello and Perlino site and read that there IS a possibility that the gene responsible for lethal whites CAN occur in horses that do not appear to be frames-which basically would mean that a lethal could occur-and it would have NO specific connection to the horse's visible body color(won't try to replicate it here;if interested, you can read it at the CPEA site). This in itself was news to me, but because of the EXTREMELY unusual nature of what happened to this little horse, as reported by his owner in the original post here, I wondered if the occurence of an 'incomplete' defect might be an actual possibility?

PaintNminis, did your vet consider contacting UC Davis with the facts of this horse's case? You ID'd your horse as a perlino appy-were there also any identified pintos in his pedigree? In certain 'big' appy bloodlines, there were BOTH pintos and appys(the Bright Eyes line), that I remember--I wonder what part that might or might not play??

In summary--it seems to me that this might be a 'historic' situation, which should be fully reported to an appropriate research facility...Just my thoughts! It is certainly a VERY unusual and rare occurance, IMO. I certainly agree that it is truly amazing that the little guy survived as long as he did; he must have had a strong will to live and amazing constitution...how wonderful that you were able to have him for the time you did!

Margo

Last edited by a moderator:

This was him the Summer Before he Died he was 2 in this Pic
default_smile.png

Can you tell why I loved him
default_wub.png
: not because of his Beauty he had the "Best"

Personilty

webrope.jpg

He would back his Butt up to you so you could give it a Rub
What a gorgeous little guy he was. So sorry for your loss. I know it would devistate me if something so quick and tragic happened to my guy.

Margo, those were my thoughts too! We were looking at the photos here & I commented that I wondered if this horse had pinto parents and if he were somehow an incomplete lethal white.

It would be very interesting to know what caused this abnormality.

Very sorry for your loss.

Hi Margo and Everyone

I have no idea What caused it The Vet said that because of "Rope"s Defects that it was a Scientific Wonder!

He Lived so Long! I do have a Pedigree On him
default_smile.png
He is out of a Perlino Appy with a Frosted Blanket and Sired by a Solid Cremello. His Registered Name was "Dutchmans Ray of Hope" he was AMHA/AMHR Registered. His Sires Side of the Pedigree had McRaes Mr GG, Bond Sir Galahad & Komokos Brandy Wine. His Dam side of his Pedigree was only Appys (but like you said they could have been carrying LWO) IDK

Hidden Meadows Moon Dust, Legandarys Bullet, and 3 Crosses to Chianti

I have Pics of his Sire, Dam and his Dams Parents I will past them.

UC Davis might still have DNA on him to test since he was tested for Red Factor and Agouti but his Breeder did that test so I have no idea if they would test it for me. I think if they would test it I might have them test him for that.

Also he was Cream, not white at all and his Eyes were Diffently Glass Eyes.

This is his sire

dutchmane.jpg

and this is his Dam

tikishow1.jpg

So very sorry for your loss. There are a few pintos in his pedigree...I am thinking along the same lines about the LWO gene. Here are some on his sire's side: Komokos Brandy Wine, chestnut pinto; Komokos Little Champ, chestnut pinto (three times); Bond Sir Galahad, black pinto; Bond Peppermint Goldmine, grey pinto; Bond Shorty, black pinto. I don't know that I would have had the wherewithall to get a necropsy done, but I am glad you did. We have all learned something and I hope I am not in the position to have to do this. Thank you so much for sharing.

So very sorry for your loss. There are a few pintos in his pedigree...I am thinking along the same lines about the LWO gene. Here are some on his sire's side: Komokos Brandy Wine, chestnut pinto; Komokos Little Champ, chestnut pinto (three times); Bond Sir Galahad, black pinto; Bond Peppermint Goldmine, grey pinto; Bond Shorty, black pinto. I don't know that I would have had the wherewithall to get a necropsy done, but I am glad you did. We have all learned something and I hope I am not in the position to have to do this. Thank you so much for sharing.

Thanks whats worse I had to go to Work right after I found him I Cryed my Eyes out.

That poor kid I was Baby sitting :eek:

The Vet was VERY nice he did the Autopsy for FREE!!! since he couldn't sleep the night before either

since he was Worried too. I think even if I had to pay for it I would have still got it Done!!! He Left so soon.

His Grand Dam does have a Huge Blaze She might be the one I am not sure!

Toni, I am so very sorry about him once again! Have you talked to Laurie about what you posted? Im not sure but I think his mom had something similar to that! You should talk to her!

Gage

Tiki Died of Colick and she did have an Autopsy Done too.

Me and Laurie Talked and Talked and Talked we even had our Vets Talk ;)

I just wanted to show the Pics because they are Amazing (that he Lived so Long!)

I'm so sorry you lost your beloved boy. He looked so sweet and I can see why he was loved so much. {{{hugs}}}

Latest posts

Back