Need Guidance - Minis got into Chick Starter (non-medicated)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IA_Donk

Reaction score
Our two one year old miniature Jennies got into the chick starter below and consumed around 15 lbs total sometime between 8pm last night and 10am this morning. (We feel terrible and have now moved the feed barrels to a different location so this can never again happen.) I called several local vets and one answered the phone and agreed to meet me at his office to give me some medicine. He said that it was lucky it was a donkey and not a horse because a horse would be a bigger concern. He told me to give them each 3 CC's orally of Bute right now and 3 more CC's in the morning. He said that's really all we needed to do. I've read that we should take their water away so we did that. We've got them confined to a very small corral for now because they were eating their straw bedding since we took away their hay. For how long do we limit their water intake and how much water do we give them for now? How long do we need to keep them away from straw bedding? They are showing no obvious sings of distress other than one had some diarrhea, which is possibly a good sign that it's moving through them?? Should we call another vet when they open tomorrow morning?

Ingredients
Grain Products, Plant Protein Products, Porcine Derived Meat and Bone Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Salt, D-L Methionine, Choline Chloride, Roughage Products, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Niacin Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Soybean Oil, d-Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Menadione Nicotinamide Bisulfite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Thiamine Mononitrate.
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 28% min
Crude Fat 2.5% min
Crude Fiber 3% max
Calcium 1.25% min
Calcium 1.75% max
Salt 0.1% min
Salt 0.6% max
Phosphorus 0.8% min

https://www.chewy.com/hudson-feeds-28-protein-multi-flock/dp/254434

A vet came out and checked them out. He felt like they were doing good. He was here somewhere between 6 and 20 hours after they had eaten the feed. He said to let them have all the water they can drink. Let them eat the straw bedding. He said if they're still doing good in the morning to reintroduce the grass hay. None of the vets around here could tube them because their tubes are too big. Can someone provide a link to a tube that we could order and have on hand for future emergencies if they were to arise?

My goodness, how scary. Definitely didnt sound right to withhold water, especially in the summer. There are some safety issues with bute you might research on this forum. Little rascals!
We got some aquarium tubing to keep on hand for rattlesnake emergency. Not sure if that is helpful.

No matter how well we try to manage their environment, it seems our equines can always find the weak link!

Really glad to read the vet was able to come out! I have never heard of withholding water and agree with Abby P, though it is hard when you call and get little to no response!

Welcome to the forum! Would love to learn more about your donkeys! 😍

A vet came out and checked them out. He felt like they were doing good. He was here somewhere between 6 and 20 hours after they had eaten the feed. He said to let them have all the water they can drink. Let them eat the straw bedding. He said if they're still doing good in the morning to reintroduce the grass hay. None of the vets around here could tube them because their tubes are too big. Can someone provide a link to a tube that we could order and have on hand for future emergencies if they were to arise?
That is a great idea to have a small tube on hand. I hope you can find one. Maybe ask the vet for his supplier or maybe the vet will order one for you.

Our two girls seem back to normal now. Their ankles did get warm a few times but we kept cooling them down with cold water and that seemed to do the trick. It's been over 24 hours since they felt warm. They've been confined to a smaller space for a couple days now so they're bored and looking for trouble lol. For the first time I caught one of them on our camera chasing guineas. They're getting out of donkey jail today though so they won't be so bored.

Glad they are doing better! My boys get a kick out of chasing the guineas, but the girls always leave them alone.

Latest posts

Back