Preparing wild land for minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoahG

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I finally got a job in central coast california and I'm moving then minis to our property. The land is pretty wild other than our neighbor occasionally mowing a section for us. The ground is spotted with coastal native plants, ruts cracks and bumps. A little uneven terrain is good for them, but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience or advice pertaining to prepping ground to put down sand and pipe stall fencing.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this.
--Noah

Congratulations on your new journey! That's so exciting. I'm afraid I don't know what native plants are in California or what will work best to break ground for fencing, but I wish you all the success in it!
Aside from all the people, I really enjoyed California when I was there about 8 years ago. The population where I live is nowhere comparable to the density of Sandiego, LA, etc. My only disappointment down there was being in surf culture areas and not hearing a single person say "dude"! I say dude fairly frequently and didn't hear it once down there. Off track, sorry!
I would normally suggest shelter being a priority, but your climate is far more dry than other places. Please keep us posted!

Congratulations on your new journey! That's so exciting. I'm afraid I don't know what native plants are in California or what will work best to break ground for fencing, but I wish you all the success in it!
Aside from all the people, I really enjoyed California when I was there about 8 years ago. The population where I live is nowhere comparable to the density of Sandiego, LA, etc. My only disappointment down there was being in surf culture areas and not hearing a single person say "dude"! I say dude fairly frequently and didn't hear it once down there. Off track, sorry!
I would normally suggest shelter being a priority, but your climate is far more dry than other places. Please keep us posted!
This area in particular along the CA coast has a chilly, damp climate. Shelter for the minis and a shed for hay is on the top of my list. Our neighbors lease some of the land and keep their horses on natural dirt with plants and shrubs with zero issues but I'll talk with them.

Well, I'm on the other side of the country, but I've taken land and made it horse friendly a few times. Over here one of the big concerns is old dumping areas. Each farm dumped or burned their garbage and now that it is grown over you don't know until glass and rusty metal start showing up in your pasture. My best advice is to get some portable corral panels and feel it out for a while first. You want to get a feel for how the land works, where you can see them best, how far it is to water, which direction the shelter should face. What works for us on the ground is to let them eat the grass down, then in fall when it starts to get muddy I top it off with crushed stone. It works into the ground a bit and makes it very compact. Pasture I spread manure and seed, that usually takes care of that. I'm guessing you have totally different soil and climate so I don't know if I'm much help to you.

Congratulations Noah! If I could I would love to live in central CA. I'm in the southern desert.
Hopefully your neighbor will help you out with your questions plants and shrubs. You probably have thought of these, ask about wild life predators in your area, farriers and veterinarians. Also feed stores if they carry the same type of hay you feed. Just wanting to help you think ahead. A move is huge. I'm happy for you all.

Latest posts

Back