Silver Gene

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdmini

Reaction score
I'm starting to understanding color genetics but my "understanding" is starting to cause some confusion on my part.

Silver only shows on black, got it no problem. Silver hides on red, again no problem.

But.....if silver hides on red does that mean all colors with a red base can hide silver? Palominos, red duns, red roans (not bay roans). If silver doesn't hide in these but rather expressed, why and can you show me examples.

On a side note I've seen bay roans affected by silver but have never knowingly seen a silver blue roan and would love to see one.

But.....if silver hides on red does that mean all colors with a red base can hide silver? Palominos, red duns, red roans (not bay roans).
Marlee, to put it simply [SIZE=18pt]YES![/SIZE] LOL

Silver is my favourite gene by far! I love all the different expressions.

Yes, any colour that is red-based can hide silver.

I don't believe I recall seeing a silver blue roan, but logically they are out there.

Yes, there are silver blue roans. I think that Kendra here may have one? Or have had one? I know I saw one pictured, and I think it was on her website.

I also love sliver
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

We have several horses which physically appear to be "red roans", but are heterozygous for the Silver gene.

The Silver Dilution gene will only alter black pigmented horses. However, it is important to know that a red horse will not be diluted by the Silver gene.............. it can however be a carrier of the gene and thus potentially pass the gene on to its offspring.

I've had people say they can "see" the silver gene on red horses, but I don't think it's true.

I've known horses that were tested to carry silver, that were dark red chestnuts with red manes and tails. The orangey-sorrel/chestnuts that have flaxen manes and tails are just as likely NOT to have the silver gene as those that do carry it and have the same coloring. Silver just doesn't modify red hairs, in my basic understanding.

I think it's the one gene I understand pretty well, and I am always interested to see photos of horses when there are test results that contradict what "appears" to be there.

Science sure is a wonderful thing!

I hope someday we can have a test for dwarfism rather than having to rely fully on visual cues.
default_smile.png

Liz

Ok that's what I thought but wanted to double check.

Funny thing is a couple of years ago I would have swore I didn't have one silver in my herd. Now I know I have two palomino mares that carry it and one sorrel mare plus two foals I've kept out of those mares. :DOH! Those are of course the ones I KNOW carry silver who knows what else is lurcking in there.

Here is my "silver" sorrel mare, 23 years young and still in her winter cloths.

missred.jpg

Shed out she is by far one of the deepest fire engine red mares I've ever owned or seen yet here is her foal by a bay stallion.

jet6.jpg

Here are my two silver carrying palomino mares

platinum1.gif

tisher.jpg

default_nono.gif
No comments about the terrible picture of the last mare, she was one of my "grandma's" I bought and you have no idea how tickled I was to find out she was halter broke. 'Course getting the halter on in the first place was a little western and if she has slowed down in her old age I would have been frightened to know her when she was younger.
default_biggrin.png

default_saludando.gif
Hi Marlee!!!!!!!

Well.......I bought a GORGEOUS mare this past spring from Joy at Red Stone Farm, this mare's a Silver Bay mare, which I think a Silver Bay (as a "girl") is a GORGEOUS color!! Just would not want it for a "boy!!"......but this mare was in foal to a sorrel (deep red) stalion........ and she foal a lighter sorrle filly.....

you know what!!!?????????/ WHO cares......... THis filly is WOW!!!!!!!!!!! I like her no matter what! She is awseome!!!!! I think more people need to look past he color genetics....... and look at what the conformation is........because shes' going to do well in the show pen!!!!!!!
default_yes.gif
Too me..........as a breder........ it's how they are going to do in the show pen!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
What is causing the flaxen mane and tail on sorrel horses then? I realize silver will not express on red horses but what is causing the lightening of the mane and tail? Always wondered that.

What is causing the flaxen mane and tail on sorrel horses then? I realize silver will not express on red horses but what is causing the lightening of the mane and tail? Always wondered that.
Its my understanding that there is a "flaxen" gene that modifies the mane/tail to the flaxen color. Has nothing to do with silver. I don't know the details.

Very pretty horses! These are mine that carry silver (one I am assuming does). A wide range of shades
default_yes.gif

Smokey silver black stallion:

Destiny%20Area%205%202006%203.jpg

Silver dapple sabino mare:

HOPE%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20037%20MARES.jpg

Silver buckskin filly:

Flirt%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20100%20Touched%20MARES.jpg

Silver dapple sabino pinto mare:

LOU--07312006--%20085%20BRUSHED%20MARE%20PAGE.jpg

Light silver bay dun mare (I think -- tho she's registered as palomino)

Goldie%20Mares%20--%2007012006%20--%20034%20MARES%20MARES.jpg

Silver bay dun gelding:

SUNNY%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20109.jpg

Latest posts

Back