This just absolutely sickens me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaos Ranch

Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit that before seeing this video I would have been one of the first ones in line to watch a rodeo. I liked the bucking bulls....hated the roping part of it... even felt a stab of pain in the heart when they would ride "bucking bronks"... horses were meant to be treated with respect, and admiration.. not scared to death on purpose.

Anyway. I found a few videos on YouTube that showed the cruelty that goes on in the rodeos. Now, I'm not at all saying this goes on in ALL rodeos... but it went on at these that are being shown... and it could go on at other shows.

Here is the link, try to watch it all the way through.

There are many other videos out there, and that sharkonline.org will explain it better than I can. Again, I'm not saying this goes on in all rodeos... but even just a few is still too many.

People like that need to be thrown in Jail! I am sad to say I have seen animals in worse condition, I work at an animal shelter, and what some people do just sickens me! The sad thing is you can't do much about it.

I do not know how any HUMAN could possibly sleep at night after treating an innocent animal like that. I don't know who decided to name us humans and them animals because I think it's backwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been to rodeos.........and not ALL are horrible........but all it takes is ONE like what is shown. I no longer allow us to attend any and we have a number every year in this area.

Deleted
default_shutup.gif

People like that need to be thrown in Jail! I am sad to say I have seen animals in worse condition, I work at an animal shelter, and what some people do just sickens me! The sad thing is you can't do much about it.

I hear ya, but I think there is a lot we can do about it. Educate when you can, in a non-confrontational way (seems to get the point across much better), and do your research for where your money goes, whenever dealing with live animals.

Could you imagine the thunderous out-cry of miniature horse breeders, owners, and fanciers if these guy s think it would be a cute sport to start running miniature hoses down that arena instead of baby calves.

I just don't understand how they can watch those baby's snap around and their tongues hanging out, mouth wide open in fear and gasping for breath.... it's just a miserable thing to do.
default_no.gif

I don't stand against ALL rodeos, but I would much rather prefer a horse show rather than a rodeo any day. That...to me is showind the great aspects of our horses,,.. much better than rodeos can.

What I don't get is PETA is required to be at any TV or movie location where animals are being used to make sure that no abuse it taking place, yet rodeos go on all over the country and its considered "sport"...and it made me sick to watch that video! I will never again support rodeos...NEVER!
PETA has nothing to do with monitoring the humane treatment of animals. In fact, you may want to check this out for a contrasting opinion: http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

In the US, the ASPCA has to be on site to monitor the treatment of animals used in fliming.

I haven't watched the video that was linked, but I can make a guess as to it's content. As with any propaganda, watch both sides of the issue, because the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

What I don't get is PETA is required to be at any TV or movie location where animals are being used to make sure that no abuse it taking place
No PETA is NOT required - the Humane Society stands by when animals are used in movies, etc.

PETA is a questionable organization that has staged "cruelty" to support their stances. It's a radical group that many ethical animal lovers and supporters will not associate with. They try to pull on people's heartstrings to draw in $$$.

The little flag that shows "Coca Cola Supports Cruelty" "Dodge Truck supports abuse" etc is bunk. What would sponsors get out of promoting cruelty?

Plus the the rodeo stock is their bread and butter - what would the rodeo company gain by abusing, injuring, or killing their own money makers?

Looks like "Shark" is trying to get a little Christmas shopping money. I wouldn't give them a dime.

I hear ya, but I think there is a lot we can do about it. Educate when you can, in a non-confrontational way (seems to get the point across much better), and do your research for where your money goes, whenever dealing with live animals.

I mean legally, in many states there is no punishment.Believe me we do a lot of educational things, but if they don't have some form of punishment they just don't care.

So, tar and feather me if you like but I saw no REAL abuse. I saw some broncs that stumbled and fell, they weren't tripped they just fell and any horse (or other animal) will stumble and fall occasionally particullarly if it is moving fast (I've seen more than one fall while bucking during play time). I grant that as far as the wild horse race, I would NOT send one of my horses to be handled in such a way but that is a time honoured method of starting a WILD horse and it is an unfortunate fact of life that horses being flight animals will be terrified of anything new. Even a slow and patient handler will initially terrify them if they have spent their earliest years learning the flight response as their best hope of survival. I find it interesting that the speed of the video was increased to make the scenes more frantic looking too. Then of course we come to the calves/steers, those portions were also at a higher speed (just watch how the men move). Now I have no doubt that SOME of those animals were injured to a point. But most of them (like that last calf) can and will jump up and walk away when they are ready. I've dealt with many cows that when first being taught to lead will toss themselves to the ground and lay with rolled back eyes until you are convinced they are dying. The minute you step back and they think they can escape they leap to their feet and bolt. AND they know quite well whether you've removed the lead or are just giving them some slack. Cattlemen and rodeo contractors can NOT afford to callously injure and kill their animals. It is not good business and it is tough enough to make any real money as a rancher with out the careless waste of your animals. There is a great deal more I could say in regards to this video (and others like it) but.... If these groups would focus their attention on the thousands of truly abused animals in the world their time would be better spent. JMO

(flame suit buttoned up tight)

My thoughts exactly too Reinmaker Miniatures. I went to the olympic rodeo when the olympics were here in Utah. The PETA people were absolutely ridiculous! They kept showing a calf getting roped over and over on their megatrone tv. And the scenes were sped up. If these animals were truely harmed, the rodeos would've been stopped long ago. The horses I saw stumble or run into something (like I haven't had horses run into my fenceline) but they weren't purposely tripped (this was done by their own doing).

Let's find animals that truely need our help in backyards starving to death.
default_wub.png

And we could also post scenes from steeplechases, race tracks, etc. I am PRCA pro-rodeo and attend most of the local PRCA events. I wish some of the other "local" shows were regulated as well as the PRCA shows are.

Liz R.

No real signs of abuse in that video??? When one of the very first things I see is someone with a rope around a horses neck slamming it into the gate?

I'm not even sure what to say to that way of thinking, that there is no real signs of abuse in that video other than it makes me sad to think it is not clearly visible to some..

There are many animals in the world that are extremely abused,

that do not bleed,

may not show scars

and that do not look starved.

What is the definition of abuse then?

I"ve seen this video before and many many worse than that on the subject of rodeos.

Its not the murders and robbers behind bar's in a state pen that worry me, its people like that out walking the streets that scare the living ___ out of me doing THAT for fun and giggles, on the same mental level as a murder...same thinking process.

No real abuse? Hmmm...okay, that calf tied the rope around his own neck and dragged himself around the arena? Sure he wasn't running for his life....okay
default_rolleyes.gif

Not a rodeo fan, now no, not to often you see horses with a rope around their necks get pounded agianst the metal gate at rodeo's while getting tazed, once is one time to many, that just gets my blood boiling.

I believe very firmly that these kind of phyco's have the same mental process (or disfuntion, whatever way you wish to put it) as any murder / phyco behind bars or sitting on death row, i really believe there is a connection in how both think and a very dangerous connection at that.

l'm a big rodeo fan love everything about it. Probably got that from my granddads side.

What I don't get is PETA is required to be at any TV or movie location where animals are being used
No - they just THINK they should be there... as Lowrise Minis pointed out, PETA can be very extremist - and has nothing to do with rescue or the ASPCA or the Humane Society.

PETA extremists think any and all riding is cruel - gawd forbid they decide that driving minis is cruel - they will be picketing every show and shouting insults at you! PETA "do-gooders" simply do not even pause to think.... a few years ago in this area, they broke into a mink farm and released 10,000 mink "into the wild to be free". Morons! Mink raised in cages on cat food did not know how to hunt - hundreds were killed on the nearby highway... invaded nearby farms in a panic... were torn to shreds by dogs and coyotes... it was a mink slaughter. Anyone trying to rescue terrified mink were badly bitten for their trouble. I am anti-fur - but IMO those mink suffered far more thanks to the actions of the thoughtless PETA "rescuers" than they would have at the mink farm. Those who were not smeared on the highway or torn to shreds probaly starved to death...

But that's okay.... they were FREE! And terrified. And suffering.

I would be very careful who you chose to paint as heroes. PETA is not an organization deserving of that title, IMO.

Ok....as a long time rodeo fan, participant (in my younger stupider days), and as a veterinary technician, I can assure you that rodeo isn't cruel. I didn't watch the whole video because it was completely pathetic propaganda taken out of context to rile emotions. The first horse that had the rope around it's neck and being slammed into the gate? Well, if you bothered to look closer you could tell the horse was sitting on it's haunches and they were trying to get it up. Open the gate? Yeah, and have him fall over,kicking, and getting hung the fence...no thanks! These rodeo stock animals are VALUABLE AND EXPENSIVE. Cowboys and girls are fined HEAVILY for any stock they injure in the event. Calves........Cowboys are fined for their horses yanking the calves back so hard they hit dirt. BELIEVE ME the rodeo companys are well aware of how outsiders who know NOTHING of rough stocking handling can ASSUME that there's abuse. And cowboys can't afford to be fined so they all try their best not to harm. The calf being dragged? Well that's an over exhuberant roping horse backing to keep the rope taunt so it doesn't slip off. That's just a green horse(who I will remind you is currently RIDERLESS). This was probably NOT one of the big professional rodeos. Not all rodeos are created equal, so don't judge based on some video footage that's been cut and edited.

And if you're going to label rodeo's as abusive....then what about animal research? Or animal processing plants where we get our food? Or how about feedlots? Or, how about horse farms? Hunting? ANYBODY can see ANYTHING as ABUSIVE depending on how they look at it.

i agree.. that video show's far more "incidences' than you'd probably ever see at one rodeo and they have cut and pasted the worst. they show the best photo's and best footage to play on your sympathies. there are plenty of video's just like that flying around youtube where they are showcasing all styles of riding. Quite frankly those broncs are pretty stupid to run themselves into the wall like that.... I agree there are things that go on that probably SHOULDN'T in every sport..but when you start critising everything..be prepaired for it to be shut down..meaning NO MORE HORSES.. NO MORE RIDING.. NO MORE DRIVING. NO MORE BREEDING.

I can see "cleaning" up problems making it harder for people to do things that are TRULY abusive but be careful what you wish for.

Not a rodeo fan, now no, not to often you see horses with a rope around their necks get pounded agianst the metal gate at rodeo's while getting tazed, once is one time to many, that just gets my blood boiling.
OK I went back and rewatched the first part of the video in case I missed something the first time. I still don't see the horses head being slammed into the gate, nor do I see it being tazed. I see it jerking its head away from someone who wants to grab its ears and I see a cowboy jerking a neck rope to keep the horse straight in the chute. Do they treat the horses gently? No, they don't. Would I use those tactics? No, but then I don't deal with too many unhandled horses with a job to do either, I would expect to have days or weeks to get the horse prepared for the next step. I am not unwilling to give a lead rope a snap to get a horses attention or warn it to behave. That to me is pretty much the same thing on a lesser scale.

Latest posts

Back