This just absolutely sickens me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_no.gif
:No-Sad
default_no.gif
Its terrible to think of how on earth people can justify this....

Not a rodeo fan, now no, not to often you see horses with a rope around their necks get pounded agianst the metal gate at rodeo's while getting tazed, once is one time to many, that just gets my blood boiling.
OK I went back and rewatched the first part of the video in case I missed something the first time. I still don't see the horses head being slammed into the gate, nor do I see it being tazed. I see it jerking its head away from someone who wants to grab its ears and I see a cowboy jerking a neck rope to keep the horse straight in the chute. Do they treat the horses gently? No, they don't. Would I use those tactics? No, but then I don't deal with too many unhandled horses with a job to do either, I would expect to have days or weeks to get the horse prepared for the next step. I am not unwilling to give a lead rope a snap to get a horses attention or warn it to behave. That to me is pretty much the same thing on a lesser scale.

I don't know about other rodeos........but here in Central Oregon we have at least a half a dozen every year. The "bucking broncos" are actually PROFESSIONAL Rodeo horses! The cowboys around the chute are there to rev up the horse by pushing and prodding him......It's not very nice. Eventually, the horse gets too old and is either sold or sent out to pasture with a rodeo person.........They USED to be sent to slaughter, but they don't anymore......

I didn't watch the video because I don't have the heart. However, I will say that here in Canada rodeo is the most regulated "event" out of all the animal events. All events have "bad apples", most people I know will not support racehorsing because of the terrible stuff that goes on at the track. I've seen plenty of animals being abused even at local dog or equine shows. The animals do poorly on their run and they get taken out back and beaten. I suppose what I'm getting at is that there are good and bad people in every sport and at the end of the day it's the animals who pay the price.

Unfortunately, perception often carries more weight than reality.

Even if the animals are well cared-for and competitors are fined for harsh treatment, the public still often sees this as a cruel sport -- and yet they attend anyway and take their children.

This is not a sport I care to watch, but what I truly hate is human nature...or more precisely those who don't care how animals are treated and consider them to be here merely for our entertainment.

I agree that we need to be careful for what we wish. I don't like rodeo, but I'd prefer to show my opinion by not going, rather than by trying to outlaw it.

One more thing...

Just because something has been done for years -- as in breaking wild horses in a "time honored" method -- does not mean there isn't room for improvement or that we shouldn't reconsider how it is done.

Sometimes "time-honored" methods are worth keeping, other times we discover better ways of doing things. That's what progress is all about. I refuse to "honor" anything merely because it's been done that way for years...instead I choose to consider what is the best approach.

I don't like rodeo, but I'd prefer to show my opinion by not going, rather than by trying to outlaw it.
I can respect that.

In my opinion (contrary to what it may seem from my rejection of the idea that rodeo animals are abused) having people keep an eye open for abuse/neglect in all the places we find animals is a good thing and a safety net for the animals but... if the knee jerk reaction is to say its abuse because its not our area of interest, I think that is counter productive.

SHARK has been on the FBI watch list for some time now and, although up until now I hadn't seen their rodeo videos, other videos of theirs I have criticized for showing blatant lies and colored 1/2 truths. They preach non-violence but here are some of their quotes.

You kiss your mother with that mouth? Tell us where do you live, so we can send some bleach over the wash that filthy hole out.

You are enough of a drain on the world's resources already. Please don't spawn.

We are happy to have you tell people just how bad it is for animals, whether in rodeos or on the ranch

It isn't a matter of thickness, it is a matter of sensitivity. Bovines and equines may have thicker skin than humans, but they are extremely sensitive, and that's what counts

These are PETA wannabee's people! Want to talk about 1/2 truths.

First, the flank strap is just one piece of evidence that the animals are not "Born to Buck,"

IF you are interested in fact a flank strap is not torture devise designed to pinch the horses genital; which is why according to SHARK only Stallions are used. (not true by the way) A flank strap starts out as a training device, to trigger the part in the horses brain that cues in survival, much like when a mountain lion would jump on a horses haunches. If you have ever had a broke saddle horse come uncorked after the back cinch slides back or kicked a horse in the flanks you've triggered the same instinct. After the horse figures out what is wanted from him it is used as a switch, to let the horse know to "turn it on". A well adjusted flank strap is snug to prevent slippage NOT tight as a over tight flank will produce discomfort and the horse will not buck to his potential. Scores are produced on a 50/50 scale meaning a horse that does not buck hard is not going to be scored as high as a horse that does resulting in a lower score and placing for the cowboy.

Bucking stock actually lead pretty leisure lives as after they are trained (yes trained) the only time they are bucked out is at rodeos. There off time is spent in large turn out pastures to stay fit. When I say trained I mean, learn that the flank strap is not going to kill them, the pick-up men are not going to kill them and that their job is done at the whistle. What these videos didn't show were the horses trotting across the arena after successfully dumping the rider, head up tail flagging, sauntering over to the gate to be let back in. No, those horse don't enjoy their job at all. I'll let you in on a little secret, all horses buck, not all horses are bucking horses. If a horse does not like what he's doing he will never cut it in his field no matter if it's a bucking horse or a halter horse.

If you don't think this is PETA read their statements. They delete any statements that give an honest fact based opinion and pounce and tear to shreds those that stand up for rodeo but can not give a well thought out rebuttal.

If you like rodeo great, might see you there some time, if you don't that's still fine with me. It's a rough around the edges sport but a lot of the things that look bad IF you take the time to get a honest answer are not bad or as bad as you first thought. Example, they use hot shots, not tazers on animals. Hot shots have about the same OR LESS voltage as most hot wire fences. Do you not think organizations such as SHARK will not go after hot wire fences if given an inch? A sport, any sport, needs to be overseen by a third party to keep everything on the up and up but to give ANY credence to a rabid, sensationalize group such as PETA or SHARK is promoting trouble for ALL of us.

Proud to be from SD where we have produced such legendary Rodeo celebertaies such as Casey Tibbs, the Etbauer boys, Marvin Garret and others!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be a bit wary of sharkonline's numerous videos... carefully edited to make you think that all that crap happens at every rodeo.

And the commentary about bucking straps illustrates a complete lack of horse sense at times... only stallions are used? No. The cinches hurt the genital area? Ummm... explain how that would work on a mare. And geldings/stallions retract, don't forget.

Bucking stock is often better cared for than many backyard breeders' horses... and sell for more $$$, too.

Ever heard of Pawnee? She... yes - SHE... was an appaloosa mare on the Calgary Stampede string... I cannot remember if she started out a saddle bronc and then went to bareback - or vice versa... but anyway - she used to be a saddle horse but decided she did not like it. And thus her talent for bucking was discovered. She would come ripping out of the chutes shrieking her head off, bucking and twisting - and when that cowboy hit the ground she often simply stopped... and sauntered towards a pick-up man or the gate, knowing her job was done. With that evil and oh so cruel bucking strap on. You know, the one that was pressing on her genitals and forcing her to buck.

Anyway - my point is that it is not wise to rely on the agenda-laden videos some post. Like rodeo or not - that is fine... but be aware that some animal activists are more about their agenda than the actual animals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found this on about.com:rodeo and thought it was a great.

http://rodeo.about.com/od/animalwelfare/a/sharkcomment.htm

Here are a few quotes:

Here are some numbers from 2004; out of 60,971 exposures at 62 rodeos (198 performances, 73 sections of slack) there were 27 injuries. That’s an injury rate of .0004.

In 2003 the PRCA was awarded the Lavin Cup which is given by the American Association of Equine Practitioners (AAEP) for contributions to the health and welfare of the horse.

BTW - I am pro-rodeo (PRCA fan) and would watch Matt Austin anytime, anywhere.

Liz R.

Latest posts

Back