Triple Crown Safe Starch Forage

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, here is the photo comparison! Three weeks on the Safe Starch. He is taking about 9 days to eat 40lbs now that I've got the delivery method sorted out. Here he is the day I started him on it:

View attachment 51997

And here he is today:

View attachment 51998

Slightly different lighting and unfortunately I cut his butt off in the first pic but he does appear to have lost weight and his crest is going down. Gained a hole on the girth of his harness. And...only one data point on this, but...he was not at all bothered by gravelly areas last time I had him out on the trail, areas where he would previously sometimes go bushwhacking to avoid walking on the rocks, he just tromped right down the middle.
He looks great. Im excited to start billy on it.

Pooh. I called today to enquire about my timothy cube order. Glad I did because it was NOT ordered. The guy I talked to this time said it would be in on Saturday.
So annoying when they do that, not just that store, but in general; we've had it happen at various places for special orders.

They are new and a fun "treat", so likely very enjoyable right now. Might work to just go with a 50:50 mix, lower his carb intake some, but keep some long stem hay in the mix that takes longer to eat.

Not sure if you need an idea, but I space out 3 - 4 flat feeding pans and dole out the cubes in each one, even if it is just one or two. The ‘grazing’ does slow down my muncher and he will go back and forth just double checking, so gets in a few steps.

Something I should do with a pan of brownies. 🤣

Not sure if you need an idea, but I space out 3 - 4 flat feeding pans and dole out the cubes in each one, even if it is just one or two. The ‘grazing’ does slow down my muncher and he will go back and forth just double checking, so gets in a few steps.

Something I should do with a pan of brownies. 🤣
I did that this morning and this evening. Thanks for the tip.

You’re welcome! I hope it slows him down a little! Mine actually moves fairly slowly around the paddock searching, as I move the pans around a bit each day. It’s a bit of a game and he always wins. 😉

If you are feeding them dry, you could also try a treat ball to provide entertainment and slow down the consumption.
When I had the Timothy Balance cubes, I did put ones I could break apart by hand into my stallion's treat ball (which is in a water tub, so he's not eating off the ground, if you have a harder surface than I do, so less chance of ingesting dirt with the cubes, on the ground is probably fine), and the ball slowed down his consumption.
I have an older (more expensive) treat ball, but this is what I am talking about: https://www.chewy.com/shires-equestrian-products-ball-horse/dp/265673 The Timothy Balance cubes are a bit smaller than standard hay cubes, and typically softer, so they load and fall back out easily, but not too easy.

Latest posts

Back