Ultrasound/Progesterone Assay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albahurst

Reaction score
I had a mare ultrasounded on Monday for a foal check. One horn was not visible because the mare's bladder was full. Since we could not be 100% sure from the ultrasound, I had the vet do a Progesterone Assay, which indicated no pg. Now, however, today I needed to chat with the vet regarding another matter of this mare and she said we do not know for sure if the mare is in foal or not. I was thinking the Progesterone Assay would have given us a pretty good clue about that matter. The mare should be about 50 days if she was in foal.

Anyone have experience with this type of scenario?

Peggy

Last edited by a moderator:
WE USE BET REPRO LAB IN KY... http://www.betlabs.com/ MAYBE ASK WHERE YOUR TEST WAS SENT... ASK FOR A COPY OF THE RESULTS AND MAYBE COMPARE THE NUMBER FOR YOUR MARE TO THE NUMBERS GIVEN ON THIS WEBSITE... GO TO THE EQUINE SECTION AND IT WILL GIVE YOU A CHART. BE A DETECTIVE... I HOPE THIS HELPS. REALLY A PMSG LEVEL SHOULD BE USED ON MARES AT AROUND 50 DAYS...

The vet ran it at her clinic. She said the other test was a possibility at about 60 days, so that is why we did not do it this time around and just ran the other.

I am thinking I may need to do the test you suggested?

This mare never came back into heat, that I could detect, and she shows heat cycles very clearly. This would be her first breeding, as she is only three.

Thanks!

At 50 days it is very easy to see a pregnancy.

If she was pregnant, the vet missed it.

Well, the first vet missed it! I took my mare to another vet that I think does a great job- (110 miles away, though) and there is a foal in there, for sure. Exactly as I thought- guess I should go on my instinct about my mares. Anyway, just found out late this afternoon about the foal. This vet said it was very easy to detect- at 53 days.

Now, I am curious about the Assay, though. Wonder if the first vet ran the test incorrectly or ?????

Peggy

Latest posts

Back