Vet Tech's - Have a few questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
Are there any Vet Tech's on here? I've been working towards medical school to get my RN, currently taking a few classes online that i did not take in high school (Advanced Chem, Advanced Algebra...the "fun" classes) which are required before i can actually start the med classes.

Anyway, i recently took a job as a Nurse Aid as i felt that would go along well and look good when i had finished med school....now i really do not think the nursing is for me. I can change what i want to take anytime now really, and i am now looking more towards Vet Tech. I think i would prefer working with animals, more so then people
default_wacko.png
. Its a two year associate degree with 96 credit hours, cost is actually more then my med school i would be going through but it is only two years rather then the three year for my RN. The college is closer then the college i would be attend for my RN as well. Vet Tech is something i think i would enjoy much more. I am so glad i took this job as a Nurses Aid as it really has given me a glance into what Nursing is in some way, and i'm finding that is not totally for me...

Do you think the jobs and need for Vet Tech's are out there? Do you enjoy your career? Did you have any trouble finding a job after graduation?

If you would rather PM my privately please do or my email is [email protected] if you rather not post it here.

Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Leanna,

I own and run a small animal hospital, have worked as a lay tech for 11 years and am now in the middle of getting my RVT finally. This is just my opinion but from keeping up with the industry I feel there is a need for good registered technicians that are highly skilled. I hear of places that want one and can't find one. The job market now, of course, is iffy and many hospitals are cutting back. Won't be that way forever though! I do love my job (the medicine side, not the management side) and before we owned this hospital I had no trouble finding jobs as an assistant. It's hard work and the hours can really cuk but same for RN. I say do what you love, as long as it's an reasonable source of income for your lifestyle. The pay is probably better as an RN, I don't know what they make but probably more than an RVT. I feel RVTs don't get paid what they should, for all the schooling and skill involved. That's probably true for many jobs though.

If you haven't already you might try volunteering at a local animal hospital to see if you like it. We have usually 2 or 3 volunteers hanging around here every year - I love encouraging them in their love of veterinary medicine.

Also, a tip from one of my vet tech friends: look into what techs and RVTs make in your area, and make sure it's something you can afford to live on.

Leeana,

I was in the same boat as you just a bit ago. I just completed all of the prereqs for Dental Hygiene school but once I shadowed my DH I decided that it really wasn't for me. So I started researching other careers in the medical field. I went to a intro class to nursing and decided that it really WASNT for me
default_rolleyes.gif
The pay sounded great but that was about it. The prereqs are pretty much the same for DH and nursing except you have to take one more chemistry class for DH. I was researching health careers online and came across Physical Therapy Assistant. The college is closer, the program is cheaper, the program isn't impacted like the nursing and hygiene programs and I think I will actually LOVE the job. The pay is good too with benifits unlike DH.

I did consider becoming a vet tech before I decided to start the prereqs for DH. The pay detered me as well as the ugly side of the animal industry. I was taking an animal science course a few years back and there were a few VT students who I was able to talk with. They talked about how owners would bring their animals in and just ask to have them put down. For no reason other than they didn't want them anymore. This along with many other sides to the industry made me realize that I needed to keep animals as a hobby rather than a career.

I guess my whole point here ( even though I just wrote a book for you) is that there are many other career paths in the health care industry other than nursing. I don't know about you but there is no way I was going to take those horrific science courses and than decide not to actually use them lol
default_doh.gif

I think if you can handle the unpleasantries of the animal world and still enjoy your job than go for it. Just do your research! Indeed.com is an awesome source! They have forums for just about every career. I have researched DH, nursing and PTA. It might be helpful to go read what people in the fields are saying
default_yes.gif

With any career there are some people who love it and some who hate it.

Also, a tip from one of my vet tech friends: look into what techs and RVTs make in your area, and make sure it's something you can afford to live on.
This is a very good point
default_yes.gif
I think vet techs around here top out around $15 an hour where the nurses are making over $75,000 a year. Indeed.com also lets you look at projected salaries for specific careers in your area
default_yes.gif

As a RVT for the last 10, quckily 11 years of my life, I've pretty much seen and done it all. I've worked in small animal, exotic, large animal, referral/teaching university, and now research. Everyone has excellent advice. First and foremost, if you've never worked in private practice I would encourage you to volunteer at a clinic or apply as a veterinary assistant. Most clinics do their own on the job training and it will give you the best answer as to if this is the career for you.

There are loads of opportunities for RVTs out there: private practice, practice managment, drug company representatives, referral practice, teaching hospitals, research, zoos, ranch managers, etc.

Can you live on the salary? Most RVTs out of school with little experience start around the $10/hr range here. I am currently making in the $17/hr range. You also need to take into consideration benefits. Some practices offer them, some don't.

We have our own professional journal too. I've been published twice in it (Career Burn out and Bovine Anesthesia Case Report) as well as having been published in two reference text books (anesthesia).

There are several professional vet tech associations out there to join and be a part of, as well as continueing education seminars and conferences.

But there's much more out there than just a "RVT". You can specialize in anesthesia, emergency critical care, behavior, as well as many others.

It's a quickly growing field with a high demand, but it takes a special type of person to do it. And you definately don't do it for the money.

I've only been on this job as a Nurses Aid for about a week now, i have found it is just emotionally draining....not worth it to be emotionally drained 24/7. Do somewhat enjoy the job in a few ways, working mostly with elderly, but its a lot of stress. I am much more comfortable working with animals
default_smile.png

Thank you! I'm thinking i am going to go for it this fall....

If you can handle the emotionally draining part I dont think a vet tec would work for you either.

Hey Leanna I also was in nursing school and changed too because it was depressing to me. Its not always going to be about bed pans and working directly with patients. You can branch off into medicine, or lab and lab tech and things like that where you don't work with the patient but for the patient. There are many choices in the medical field and will always be a demand.

Hi Leanna! I did two years of nursing school before I finally had to admit that this was not the job for me. I loved the medical aspect, and the science to it all, but it could be emotionaling draining. I went and got certified as a scrub nurse, and went into the OR. I LOVED it! It had it's moments, as any job does, but it was the best job. If I had not moved to Texas and had kids, I would still be scrubbing!

Bcody i may have to send you a PM later on today
default_smile.png

I love the medical field, but working with people in that manner is just not for me really. I think i would feel so much more comfortable working with animals. I am so glad i took this job, i mean i am starting to like it, but i just cannot see this long term. The money is not bad, at all, but some things just are not worth the
default_wacko.png

Latest posts

Back