Weaning According to the Farmers Almanac

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
Our first three foals are already being pulled from moms for August because they are sold and Four Months old......Fortunately all three are very independent.

My preference would be to wean according to the Farmers Almanac, but I don't have the dates. Does anyone? We have at least two for September, October, November, and December!

THANK YOU in advance!

I HAVE WEANED BY THE SIGNS THE LAST TWO SEASONS AND HAVE BEEN PLEASANTLY SURPRISED AT THE GOOD RESULTS I HAVE HAD. I WILL NOW ALWAYS WEAN BY THE SIGNS. SEEMS TO BE MUCH EASIER ON THE FOAL AND THE MARE.

Willow Tree, thats really interesting. If you don't mind sharing just "how you wean"? Do you do it slowly, all at once, keep the mare totally out of site of the foal? I'm just gathering info as my first ever foal is almost 11 weeks old, so I'm trying to figure out how I should do this when I do. Thanks for the info.

MA, I have had best luck by going by the Zodiak dates from the Farmer's Almanac BOOK, which are usually different from the dates on the website.

The book:

3 days of "Feet" (wean cold turkey time) is Sept 3,4,5. So Sept 3rd is the best day.

Sept 3

Sept 30-Oct 1

Oct 27-28

Nov 23-24

Dec 21

default_smile.png

People can wean gradually and use the above dates for the final separation dates.

Robin, THANK YOU. That's what I was wanting.
default_saludando.gif

As for weaning? Some folks will pull babies from moms for hours at a time over several days. Some will do a "cold turkey" separation. The dates given are best to use for the final separation.

We have done both weaning methods. No matter what, you will have the heartbreaking calling....(just to let you know.)

We personally have decided to do the "cold turkey", with the Farmers Almanac method. Other than having the moms weaning their own foals, this seems to be the best.

Thank you again for this.

Ma---

Wonderful!!! This will fit in perfectly for me to use Sept. 3 as my final separation day. I started separating for a few hours at evening feeding time and it is going well...this gives me a week to work in all night and then total separation on the 3rd.!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

I use the same days as REO.I do cold turkey-baby is with mom overnight, fed their little grain bucket in the morning, then mom is removed to a field as far away as I can move her on the farm.Baby stays in a faniliar field with other buddies being weaned.Less stress on baby than losing mom and having to live in a new place.My weanlings never even lost weight because they were eating well from their own bucket before weaning.Been doing this for over 20 years with Minis and before that with big horses.some are easier than others-some moms miss baby lots and some moms miss baby lots. The mare's bag will soften in about 3 days-some even by the next day.I learned this method from an old time Standardbred breeder.Good luck.

My dad has always used the Farmers Almanac for just most all things and I always said i would follow it as well. Last month, before we headed out for Congress I put a colt in to wean and we did not follow the FA. He lost a dramatic amount of weight while we were gone for 5 days. I will be weaning two colts next month according for the farmers almanac and hopefully it goes much smoother
default_yes.gif

I USUALLY WEAN "ACROSS THE FENCE" COLD TURKEY. I LEAVE THE FOAL IN THE COMFORTABLE PASTURE WITH THE HORSES THE FOAL HAS ALWAYS BEEN WITH AND I MOVE THE MOTHER TO THE LESS FAMILIAR ENVIRONMENT ACROSS THE FENCE. WORKS GOOD FOR ME. I DON'T HAVE THE OPTION TO MOVE THE MARE TOTALLY, BUT I PROBABLY WOULD NOT CHOOSE THAT METHOD EVEN IF I COULD. THANKS.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm, well the Sept 5th will work for my buckskin filly, already planned on weaning her the first of September, but other two babies are not quite old enough, planned on weaning them first of October..

It goes by the Zodiak signs. Each sign is assigned to a body part. As the "blood" goes towards the "feet" the better it is to geld or wean. The day after the feet is the Head and that is THE hardest day on them.

But Sept 5th is the LAST good day and the next day (6th) it will go hard on the foal.

Sept 2nd or 3rd would be the best and would give the foal several good days. Leaving the wean until the very last good day doesn't work as well. Just trying to help!
default_smile.png

We tried everything through the years. And cold turkey works the best. On MY horses doing it gradually made it harder on them. Each day was stressing out from separation all over again.

I do it across the fence for the first day or so (leaving the foals where they lived and are used to) then I move the mare back to her pasture in the back.

Sept 1 - Legs =good

Sept 2 - Legs =better

Sept 3- Feet =better

Sept 4- Feet = still ok

Sept 5 - Feet = good luck!

Sept 6 - HEAD= HARD going!

Sept 29 - Fine

Sept 30 -Good

Oct 1 -Good

Oct 2- feet=good luck

Oct 3 HEAD!! Not good!

REO, Can you tell me what days would be good in October ?? Thanks
default_smile.png

I bought a filly that will be ready to wean that month.

Thanks REO, I did see the earlier dates but wanted the later October dates so THANKS
default_wink.png

Robin,

First.....THANK YOU for all of your info for all of us.

I have a couple of kids that I was thinking of pulling from moms this weekend. Is that bad?

Robin, thanks for the explanation.
default_smile.png
I've used the Almanac for most weaning/gelding for years, but had never known why it worked. I only had one to wean this year, but have a couple of boys to geld right after World.

Jan

You're all welcome
default_smile.png

MA, this week end is a little early still (knees) The dates I put in one of my above posts would go smoother for you
default_smile.png

Sept 1-3 or at the latest Sept 4th.

MA....PS, did you see my post to you in Crabby Chicken's back porch thread?
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back