Laminitis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
I rescue one horse a year and try to give them a good home and then place them. I am fighting laminits with this one mini. I ordered LaminaSaver. It is very costly but if it works it is worth it. What else can I do? She sits on peet moss, ice packs etc. She is so sweet. It is worth giving her a chance. I mean I hope I can save her and place her in a forever home!! What about some type of shoes??

Hi

I am sorry about your mare. I too, am fighting it with a filly of mine.

She is only 3 and recently diagnosed with Cushings disease.

I would test your mare. It may help. I HATE this terrible disease!!!

My farrier made her tiny shoes that he glues on backwards,, open at the toe.

It does keep her more comfortable

I have never heard of LaminaSaver. Please let me know how it does for you.
default_smile.png

Good Luck!

~Sandy

I haven't heard of it but I searched it and it sounds worth trying. Has a vet done an X ray yet?

At CMHR we use Remisson and Cipex and pain meds are mandatory to stablize. Our CMHR horses were not rotated so they recovered well with no sweet feed type food at all, nothing with sugars and possitively no grass, just hay and a good pelleted feed. You can soak a couple of times per day in cool water and wrap if needbe with stay free maxi pads and vet wrap keeping it away from the cornet band. Don't let anyone nail a shoe on her.

http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/product.a...;cmkw=remission

http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/product.a...&cmkw=cipex

Pete Ramey is gods gift to the foundered horse

We have had a lot of success with Pete Ramey trained natural barefoot trimmers that understand how to trim to get the coffin bone down in the exact place it needs to be. Follow the links and you will find one in your area.

Read this website: http://www.hoofrehab.com/

I had heard wonderful things about LaminaSaver from both vets and shoers so I ordered some for my rescue pony, who had foundered. Unfortunately his case was too severe and I lost him. I had scores of people wanting my LaminaSaver, however, and would not hesitate to recommend it to someone.

Shoes can be helpful in some cases, I know, although as someone mentioned the last thing anyone wants to do is put nails in the feet! We were getting ready to try glue-on shoes before he took a bad turn.

On a more positive note, many years ago my TB hunter developed laminitis and made a complete recovery and I continued showing him for ten more years. Today (at age 21), he's still going strong, ridden six times/week. In his acute phase, he was on banamine and ace (which helps with blood flow). He had one recurrence about six weeks after the first attack and then (knock on wood) never again. Have been very careful with his diet ever since.

Good luck. There are lots of resources out there about laminitis, founder, cushings, etc.

Thanks. I will let everyone know about the Lamina Saver. If it even remotly works I will be happy. The vet said it is not severe and stopping the progression is key right now. I do have to mix it with something since it is in the powder form. I use apple sauce and such a small amount. I hope that is not bad. But what else can I use?

Thanks

I researched it several years ago when we had a big mare flirting with founder, but did not end up using it. Sounds like a great product, will be interested to know if it works for you. We did use something called Hot Hoof, it's a Chinese herbal product and it sure did the job for her. Probably about the same cost, no bargains out there for horses.
default_rolleyes.gif

Jan

Thanks. I will let everyone know about the Lamina Saver. If it even remotly works I will be happy. The vet said it is not severe and stopping the progression is key right now. I do have to mix it with something since it is in the powder form. I use apple sauce and such a small amount. I hope that is not bad. But what else can I use?Thanks
I'm feeding two of my horses an anti-inflammatory product (they come in soft tablets and horses are supposed to like them and just eat them, not mine), and it was getting old mixing it with applesauce and syringing it in. So, I decided to try soaking some grass hay pellets and mixing it in that, it works like a charm, and they eat up the soaked pellets (I just use a very small handful of the pellets). [if you have it soaked beet pulp might work also, then just feed it too them.]

I tried LaminaSaver with my severely foundered pony some years ago. It did not work for her and was very expensive. I literally tried everything with her and it came down to the most basic of things: low-sugar diet and proper trim (and Pergolide for her Cushing's after diagnosis). I second Marty in that Pete Ramey is a God-send to foundered/laminitic horses! My pony had never worn shoes and I wasn't about to nail anything to her extremely painful feet. I did use boots for her and foam cushions, too. I didn't personally try the glue-on shoes.

Get your little mare tested for both Cushing's and Insulin Resistance (IR). They are not the same disease though horses can have both. Although she has both Cushing's and IR, my pony is sound and healthy today at 27 years young. She had serious rotations of her coffin bones but they are now ground parallel and her feet are finally looking like "normal" hooves. She was a very severe case and is profoundly insulin resistant--thankfully she has a fighting spirit and had a very strong will to live. I now always test my grass hay to be sure it's low enough in NSCs (non-structural carbs); most IR horses are safe with an NSC of less than 10%. Princess must have below 8%. Even grass hays can test high in sugar--I've seen enough tests to know.
default_wacko.png
All my horses get the low-sugar hay and it is worth it, especially for my minis. Until you know the cause of the laminitis, I would play it safe and stick to low-sugar feeds. If you use beet pulp try the kind without molasses. My pony can have very small amounts of the WellSolve Low Starch feed (by Purina). I use it to mix her supplements and she eats it readily.

Also check out the Cushing's group on Yahoo. It is a very active group with many knowledgeable people on the board. It's moderated by Dr. Eleanor Kellon and also someone on Lil' Beginnings (Hosscrazy, I think?
default_unsure.png
).

Good luck with your mare. Please keep us posted.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back