Are your babies born with blue eyes?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostandFound

Staff member
Reaction score
I've never seen a foal born with blueish gray eyes before. But google says that either all foals have them or no foals have them, or creme foals might have them depending on the website, so I figured I would ask the experts. We have waited for enough foals to be born that a few people should be able to chime in. It was extremely difficult to try to catch a picture of a quick moving colt but this is the best I could get. Looks more blueish in person, depending on the light. His half brother was born with dark brown eyes, then developed some blue in one as he got a little older.

Attachments

• a1col4.jpg
    a1col4.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 0
  • a1col5.jpg
    a1col5.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 0
I haven't honestly paid attention to the foals born here; but I've read on the equine color groups on FB that most foals are born with bluish eyes that darken with age, unless there is a white pattern causing blue eyes or double cream color, which has blue eyes.

It seems to be pretty divided on if they are supposed to have blue eyes or not. I've never seen it on a foal before, but what if I didn't look closely enough? And those fb color genetic groups are all over the place between people that know what they are talking about and people that got a pony ride once in 3rd grade and think they are color experts.

It seems to be pretty divided on if they are supposed to have blue eyes or not. I've never seen it on a foal before, but what if I didn't look closely enough? And those fb color genetic groups are all over the place between people that know what they are talking about and people that got a pony ride once in 3rd grade and think they are color experts.
I only trust a small handful of commentors on the two color groups I'm on on FB, they do know what they are talking about; but some things are still being researched, so there isn't a definitive answer.

Latest posts

Back