Billy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm taking Billy to be weighed this evening. My sister works at a local vet and I am going after hours to use the animal scale indoors. They used to let me weigh him there, but then moved the scale into an examination room, so I haven't like to ask. But we won't be in anyone's way.

He has only lost 5#. Very disappointing as I have been trying so hard. He has only been on the timothy cubes for a week; hopefully after a month I will see more loss.
Our son was here and he set me up on the Strava app to track our walking. Today we did 2.11 miles and averaged 2.9 mph and a 22% incline. It will be fun to keep track of his walking and driving.

It's still a loss and not a gain! :) How are you feeding the cubes? Weighing them and dividing it into several meals, or?

I got a bag yesterday to check out, I gave him a few inside his muck bucket setup and it really didn't slow him down at all, he figured out right away that he could grab a giant mouthful (net and all), pull the net away from the bucket, and then shake it and all the cubes would fall on the floor! Seems like it would be really hard to slow-feed them which is too bad because I'm guessing they do have fewer calories than the forage.

It's still a loss and not a gain! :) How are you feeding the cubes? Weighing them and dividing it into several meals, or?

I got a bag yesterday to check out, I gave him a few inside his muck bucket setup and it really didn't slow him down at all, he figured out right away that he could grab a giant mouthful (net and all), pull the net away from the bucket, and then shake it and all the cubes would fall on the floor! Seems like it would be really hard to slow-feed them which is too bad because I'm guessing they do have fewer calories than the forage.
We measured them by weight into a coffee can. I put some in 3 different tubs around his pen. Still giving him a pound of hay in a hay bag. He gets this twice a day. When the hay bale is gone--I am trying to transition him--I will up the measurement of cubes. He really seems to enjoy the cubes--the tubs are practically licked clean. I also let him out for up to half an hour twice a day to graze. Usually he spends the time rubbing on the junipers and wandering around.

Latest posts

Back