Cocoa - Koora Filly - WARNING - Picture overload! Page 36

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Minis have to be the least reliable waxers of all time. Twinkles did for me the first time but not the second. Painted Lady did. The others, if they did it they did so very last minute!

Trouble with wax is that it comes very quickly and often breaks off as the mare moves or lays down, so even if a mare does actually form proper wax, many owners miss it! But if you are lucky and as observant as you obviously are you wont miss it - a 1/2 inch to an inch of a candle wax looking spike hanging down from your mare's teats is not something you can mistake LOL!!

So in a couple of weeks (my guess) when you suddenly catch sight of this strange looking 'growth' and we see WAX! WAX! WAX! posted on your thread, we shall be glued to our screens waiting for news of the happy event!!
default_thumbup.gif

Haha it will definitely be the first thing i do and than take a billion and 1 photos for you all
default_smile.png
So there was no changes this morning, udder was exactly the same and she is still a cranky poo haha

Udder has grown quite a bit tonight still not huge though, still can't get any liquid

I havnt uploaded photos for a while so here are a few from this morning. (udder picture isnt the best sorry lol)

313 days (2).jpg313 days (3).jpg313 days (4).jpg

Looking good - nice steady progress, just what we like to see.
default_yes.gif

yes agreed
default_smile.png

So anyway so ive been doing some thinking haha and looking at the gap between the birth of her two previous foals, and if i go off how far they were apart then she might not have the foal till the 16th of october.

Because Cooper(her first foal) was born the 17th of October and Dakota(her second foal) was born on the 7th of October. And im pretty sure she would have been bred on her foal heat(i was a bit young so dont really remember).

So if i then go off when she had the third foal(the one that died) which was the 26th of October (the stallion got through the fence and bred her on her first heat as well) then she might possible have it the 16th of October.

Sorry if this is confusing haha

Looking at her development your guess certainly seems to be likely
default_smile.png

She for sure has the v look!! Good luck and I hope everything goes ok!! look at

crayonboxminiatures.com

they have a great foaling site on the development of foals!!
default_smile.png

She still hasnt changed very much, Absolutely no milk and udder is the same size.

Heres some photos from the other day. Cocoa at 322-331 days
default_smile.png

322 days (1)copy.jpg322 days (3)copy.jpg

Wide-Skinny-Wide (She just cannot make up her mind haha)

Bottom Comparison 2.jpg

ps sorry about the briefness but i had just finished writing a detailed update and internet stuffed up and then i had to start again
default_sad.png
lol

She looks great! Still got to develop that tummy a bit - drop and move forward to form the awaited V shape, but everything is progressing nicely in the right direction.
default_yes.gif

She looks great! Still got to develop that tummy a bit - drop and move forward to form the awaited V shape, but everything is progressing nicely in the right direction.
default_yes.gif
Its just taking forever
default_sad.png
haha but im happy to wait as long as the foal is healthy
default_smile.png

Exciting, not too far away now. What's your predictions for bubs colour?
Well ive recently changed my mind on what colour Cocoa is because i have been doing some research lol I think she is a dunskin (buckskin dun)

So if i have their colours/patterns correct then the foal could be:

Offspring Color Probability

Dunskin Sabino - 7.29%

Dunskin Tobiano - 7.29%

Bay Dun Tobiano - 7.29%

Bay Dun Sabino - 7.29%

Bay Sabino - 7.29%

Bay Tobiano - 7.29%

Buckskin Sabino - 7.29%

Buckskin Tobiano - 7.29%

Chestnut Sabino - 4.17%

Chestnut Tobiano - 4.17%

Dunalino Tobiano - 4.17%

Dunalino Sabino - 4.17%

Palomino Sabino - 4.17%

Palomino Tobiano - 4.17%

Red Dun Sabino - 4.17%

Red Dun Tobiano - 4.17%

Smoky Grullo Tobiano - 1.04%

Smoky Grulla Sabino - 1.04%

Grulla Sabino - 1.04%

Grulla Tobiano - 1.04%

Black Tobiano - 1.04%

Black Sabino - 1.04%

Smoky Black Tobiano - 1.04%

Smoky Black Sabino - 1.04%

So many different options lol

Isn't it funny how their shape continues to change as the little one does flips and flops? So much fun!!!

She's indeed looking great! Can't wait to see that little "present" she's working on for you!!
Same here im so excited
default_smile.png
haha i know, shes was a bit of a wide load this morning again!

Last edited by a moderator:
One of mine is still doing the lopsided act even though her belly is sinking, I reckon the foal keeps leaning!
default_new_rofl.gif

What makes you think she's a dun? Does she have a dun parent?

Her tummy size so reminds me of my mare Summer and your girl is almost due! You must be getting soooo excited
default_smile.png

I don't know about her parents that's why I can't be sure. But she has a very definite clean straight dorsal strip which goes all the way into her tail, and I think she's got the striped ears but a bit hard to tell at the moment because of all the fuzz. I think she also has a face mask and possibly cob webbing

The stripe doesn't always mean anything on it's own, my splash mare Fantasy has one and the is ZERO dun in her. Dorsal stripes can also be caused by countershading which is what is going on in my girl's case.
default_smile.png

Additionally Cocoa clearly has the sooty modification playing on her buckskin coat which is causing a lot of shading over her face and body, hard to distinguish from some of the dun shading.

This is where known parentage is handy as most colours (dun, roan, grey, LWO, cream, silver) can only exist when a parent directly passes it on. In Cocoa's case I'd be really hesitant in calling her dun without testing first or at least some very concrete signs.

I never thought she was a dun before, but i didnt really know the differences between buckskin and dun either. But the other day i came across a picture from the summer just past and the stripe on her back was very distinct so i did some research (i googled lol) and i found this website http://grullablue.co...or_markings.htm

Which said about the eartips, dorsal running into the tail, etc are dun markings

Anyway this is the picture that made me think she might be a dun

IMG-20111107-00531.jpg

This picture showed (what i think are) her the ear stripes (faintly)

PB150038.JPG

I tried to take a picture of the stripe how it goes all the way into her tail but the cameras bad quality so it didnt photograph well.

IMG-20120917-00276.jpg

Well anyway let me know what you all think
default_smile.png
Either way it doesnt bother me if shes not a dun

How do you tell the difference between countershading and dorsal?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back