Driving Discussion 2024

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing. I have not driven in over a week, I think! I had such a busy weekend. Friday, we did a parade with our littles for the county. Sunday I ran the horse show. It was great although the weekend was so busy for horse people all over the province. There were 2 other open shows the same day, plus a driving show in the county, a big dressage show not far away and who knows what else! Regardless, I had 10 entries in my little show. We were paying the judges anyways, so we might as well have some fun. Ali took her warmblood mare and did almost every class they were eligible for. They came out junior high point champions for the day.
My best moment was the hobby horse mini show at noon. I was so hoping there would be interest in it. I had this beautiful, enthusiastic but shy young lady come up with her home-made pool noodle hobby horse, Bubbles. Took my whole heart! Definitely a serious hobby horser! She is exactly who I was hoping would come to participate. I was just thrilled to see her there.
We even had 2 teens join in, one on a shovel and another with a broom. I think we had 8 altogether. My mom judged it. I don't know who had more fun, the audience, the participants or my mom. In the end, only one of my 6 classes was actually "placed" the other 5 classes were wiped with first places. And I don't mind at all! We had top 3 placing ribbons plus participation ribbons so everyone went home with placings. And I had loads of little prizes donated. Books, and little mini puzzle games and tiny stuffed animals but the biggest hit was chocolate bars and mini rubber ducks!
I had kids for hobby horse and regular horse show come up to me at the end of the day and tell me how much they're looking forward to coming back to it next year. That filled my heart!
Now, the next 4 weekends are for driving!
Hobby Horse 2024.jpg
And yes, Ali had her name tag on her forehead...

Nothing. I have not driven in over a week, I think! I had such a busy weekend. Friday, we did a parade with our littles for the county. Sunday I ran the horse show. It was great although the weekend was so busy for horse people all over the province. There were 2 other open shows the same day, plus a driving show in the county, a big dressage show not far away and who knows what else! Regardless, I had 10 entries in my little show. We were paying the judges anyways, so we might as well have some fun. Ali took her warmblood mare and did almost every class they were eligible for. They came out junior high point champions for the day.
My best moment was the hobby horse mini show at noon. I was so hoping there would be interest in it. I had this beautiful, enthusiastic but shy young lady come up with her home-made pool noodle hobby horse, Bubbles. Took my whole heart! Definitely a serious hobby horser! She is exactly who I was hoping would come to participate. I was just thrilled to see her there.
We even had 2 teens join in, one on a shovel and another with a broom. I think we had 8 altogether. My mom judged it. I don't know who had more fun, the audience, the participants or my mom. In the end, only one of my 6 classes was actually "placed" the other 5 classes were wiped with first places. And I don't mind at all! We had top 3 placing ribbons plus participation ribbons so everyone went home with placings. And I had loads of little prizes donated. Books, and little mini puzzle games and tiny stuffed animals but the biggest hit was chocolate bars and mini rubber ducks!
I had kids for hobby horse and regular horse show come up to me at the end of the day and tell me how much they're looking forward to coming back to it next year. That filled my heart!
Now, the next 4 weekends are for driving!
View attachment 51970
And yes, Ali had her name tag on her forehead...
What a fun weekend! Those smiling faces say it all 😁

I drove Falcor last night. I've bought 2 new bits to try on him. My very experienced driving friend suggested I try a mullen mouth rather than a broken (been using a French-link butterfly) mouthpiece on him. I ordered a liverpool and a half cheek. Started with the liverpool. It almost feels like that bit wears the pony! The purpose is to see if he will stop over rolling behind the vertical. Well, it didn't stop him. Poor dude, I think he got tired yesterday in our work because he did his normal over roll and pull off one shoulder after some nice, big trot work. We drove out further than we ever had on our own and came back through the driveway and yard - which is a space we haven't been confident to drive without a friend leading previously. So it's still progress.
This weekend we're out for some schooling off property. I hope he enjoys the adventure and feels confident as it will be his third time on that property. Fingers crossed!

I drove Falcor last night. I've bought 2 new bits to try on him. My very experienced driving friend suggested I try a mullen mouth rather than a broken (been using a French-link butterfly) mouthpiece on him. I ordered a liverpool and a half cheek. Started with the liverpool. It almost feels like that bit wears the pony! The purpose is to see if he will stop over rolling behind the vertical. Well, it didn't stop him. Poor dude, I think he got tired yesterday in our work because he did his normal over roll and pull off one shoulder after some nice, big trot work. We drove out further than we ever had on our own and came back through the driveway and yard - which is a space we haven't been confident to drive without a friend leading previously. So it's still progress.
This weekend we're out for some schooling off property. I hope he enjoys the adventure and feels confident as it will be his third time on that property. Fingers crossed!
Nice to find a bit. Sounds as though he is coming along well if you are feeling more confident with him. He's so handsome.

I've been on "vacation" this week as my daughter started grade 10 today. It was nice to have some time with her before she went back to school.
Sunday, we went with a group driving at the grounds where they host CDEs. The weekend prior they'd had one, but I'd been running my own horse show. So, knowing we were coming, they'd left up most of the course for people to run through and school again.
It's an absolute privilege to be president of the largest carriage driving club chapter in the province. I love that so many people are getting interested in participating in driving and I love organizing events for people to participate. What I do find frustrating is that I spend more time organizing and it impacts me actually being able to participate with my own animals at the events. When we arrived at the grounds on Sunday, there were a few participants already there, which was lovely. An awesome group of drivers! I spoke with the owner of the property about how things were going to proceed, getting waiver forms signed, doing safety checks, etc. and I asked about the cones course. It had been put away, so we needed to reset it. Bless that beautiful man, he helped me set up a half course on their grounds for people to school. By the time I got down to do safety checks after setting cones, everyone was harnessed and hitched, ready to go. My pony and donkey were standing at the trailer, not even brushed yet. Thankfully Ali and one of our friends pulled the 2 carts off the back of the truck, but I still had the K-bike in the back seat of the truck to put together...
I got everyone checked and set off and started Falcor's walk. By the time I got to his Bemer session, half the crew was already back. By the time I got him half harnessed and ready to lunge, the rest of the crew returned. Unfortunately, Falcor just needs to extra time and process to feel good and ready to have a positive, relaxed drive.
A couple of the members did decide to go out again, one took Phillippe out for me, another went in hand. It was nice that we weren't completely alone. Ali came to help us get through the water hazard. In hand, I can lead Falcor into the water without issue. But asking him to go in on his own is just more than he can manage. Ali would just grab his cavesson and lead him into the water. Once we were in, we could steer, but we could not turn around and re-enter the water on our own. We'll keep working on that.
We did go trotting through the path in the trees on our own and schooled the cones course without anyone around. He was a little nervous, but I was able to actually push and we got through everything well! Together we are building confidence.
At the end, two of the participants volunteered to put the cones away and clean up the grounds from gifts the animals left behind. I was so appreciative of their help.
My lesson: In the future, I will ask for some volunteer assistance to get things ready and do safety checks. I think everyone should take a turn at being a safety officer so they learn what to look for and potentially improve their own drives.

I've been on "vacation" this week as my daughter started grade 10 today. It was nice to have some time with her before she went back to school.
Sunday, we went with a group driving at the grounds where they host CDEs. The weekend prior they'd had one, but I'd been running my own horse show. So, knowing we were coming, they'd left up most of the course for people to run through and school again.
It's an absolute privilege to be president of the largest carriage driving club chapter in the province. I love that so many people are getting interested in participating in driving and I love organizing events for people to participate. What I do find frustrating is that I spend more time organizing and it impacts me actually being able to participate with my own animals at the events. When we arrived at the grounds on Sunday, there were a few participants already there, which was lovely. An awesome group of drivers! I spoke with the owner of the property about how things were going to proceed, getting waiver forms signed, doing safety checks, etc. and I asked about the cones course. It had been put away, so we needed to reset it. Bless that beautiful man, he helped me set up a half course on their grounds for people to school. By the time I got down to do safety checks after setting cones, everyone was harnessed and hitched, ready to go. My pony and donkey were standing at the trailer, not even brushed yet. Thankfully Ali and one of our friends pulled the 2 carts off the back of the truck, but I still had the K-bike in the back seat of the truck to put together...
I got everyone checked and set off and started Falcor's walk. By the time I got to his Bemer session, half the crew was already back. By the time I got him half harnessed and ready to lunge, the rest of the crew returned. Unfortunately, Falcor just needs to extra time and process to feel good and ready to have a positive, relaxed drive.
A couple of the members did decide to go out again, one took Phillippe out for me, another went in hand. It was nice that we weren't completely alone. Ali came to help us get through the water hazard. In hand, I can lead Falcor into the water without issue. But asking him to go in on his own is just more than he can manage. Ali would just grab his cavesson and lead him into the water. Once we were in, we could steer, but we could not turn around and re-enter the water on our own. We'll keep working on that.
We did go trotting through the path in the trees on our own and schooled the cones course without anyone around. He was a little nervous, but I was able to actually push and we got through everything well! Together we are building confidence.
At the end, two of the participants volunteered to put the cones away and clean up the grounds from gifts the animals left behind. I was so appreciative of their help.
My lesson: In the future, I will ask for some volunteer assistance to get things ready and do safety checks. I think everyone should take a turn at being a safety officer so they learn what to look for and potentially improve their own drives.
You said you love to plan and organized events and you must be great at it. To host your own show and participate also, I commend you. :) It was so nice that people stepped up to help you. Definitely ask for volunteers next time. Congrats on a successful show🙂

Last edited:
Everything HersheyMint said! You have shared your incredibly full life with us via your posts, and it is very generous of you to take on the role of president and all that entails.

Kudos to those who stepped up to help and also to Falcor for doing his best!

Absolutely reach out for volunteers for specific tasks! I like your idea of members taking a turn as safety officer!

Sunday we had a practice day at a new venue a whopping 12 minutes' drive away from our farm. We had 6 hitches registered, but 9 showed up as well as a few more club members to check out the grounds. It's an eventing facility, but loads of space, up hills, down banks, a nice, big water obstacle on course and lovely people! We took Jasmine and Falcor. Phillippe stayed at home, poor sad donkey!
I was so proud of my Falcor pony. He schooled really well. We didn't even look at the water but worked around the banks and the dry sand without hesitation. That's all it needs to be for next weekend's derby, so I didn't feel it was appropriate to push at this time. He handled the chaos of all the other animals and hitches really well, just interested and alert. I did go adventuring to the back of the property with him and Ali and Jasmine. He climbed some hills and worked really well. He did get upset on the way back when Ali and Jazz took off back to the schooling grounds where everyone else was. I let him big trot back and he called out a few times. We walked until he relaxed and called it done.
Schooling that way at that location was something I did not think would be possible with Falcor at the beginning of the year. I'm very proud of him and where we've come!
He'd never been out there. Normally I'd take him for a walk to look around before his Bemer and lunge. I didn't this time. He had his Bemer, lunge and then hitched and drove. And it was good!
Ali and Jazzy were a going concern! Goodness, they had so much fun. Jasmine's learned how to gallop through the water making big waves and splashing all over! It was so fun watching them.

Falcor made it through his first CDE derby! What a huge growth from him between his first 2 rounds. I'm so proud of him. And now very excited for next year's adventures!
Ali and Jasmine did great all weekend. Their first time trying Prelim and did everything cleanly. I think they were both happy that they got to canter cones and derby obstacles, especially in the water. They ended up junior high point champion (only junior driver...) and 5th prelim overall.

Falcor and I didn't place, and I couldn't care less. Honestly, I feel that we had the biggest win of the weekend in his progress and success in his performance. He brought me to tears after his second dressage test because he'd felt so confident and relaxed, a huge change from his first test the day prior, and he was able to participate in all the events. When I registered, I didn't think I'd be able to put him through the derby, just the dressage and cones, because I didn't want to overface him and blow his confidence. Well, we did derby both days and he only felt more confident after each!

What a WIN!!! 💓
34D94251-E412-4FB0-AF3F-D8DC64C03C47.jpeg
015D26EF-EB28-4666-9955-ABBEC190C605.jpeg
C5473626-321B-410E-8265-0AD9A3DE95FC.jpeg

Last edited:
Congratulations to all of you! I love reading about your events.
Your love for Falcor, how you are so aware of his limits, how proud you are of him come out so clear in your writings. Falcor must sense all your positivity by how well he responds to you. Kudos to you!

Congratulations to all of you! I love reading about your events.
Your love for Falcor, how you are so aware of his limits, how proud you are of him come out so clear in your writings. Falcor must sense all your positivity by how well he responds to you. Kudos to you!
Thank you! That's so kind of you to say. It's very important to me to learn who each of my individuals are. Not all of us get along but I try to get them each what they need. I think the part that makes me super proud is the part where I can hand Falcor to other drivers, competent horse persons but new to driving, and they can be successful together. I wonder if he won't end up going on to a new partnership in the future. I'm open to it if he is, I think. I've got a 2-year-old warmblood colt that is going for training next year that I need to be able to focus on riding again. Sometimes finding the balance is challenging.

Latest posts

Back