Flies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have not had many flies this year at all. No ear problems, and legs a little but not critical. But all the sudden they have attacked that one spot on Billy's stomach; I think it is the navel cord spot? A little cluster of them. I spray the spot, scrub the area with a brush. Then there was a little wound. So first I tried Swat. Then silver spray, which worked for a couple of days. Now I'm using the silver honey cream, glopping it on pretty thickly. I'm wondering if the wound is aggravated because he uses his hoof on the area.
Anyone else have trouble with that little stomach area, and ideas for discouraging the flies there?

I have with gnats, not flies.. I use the spot on fly stuff...I usually get freedom45 from tractor supply. I think they get an allergic reaction which causes them to rub and make it worse. I make sure I put a little right above the area they are getting raw, even if the directions don't say that. It doesn't work real well for flies, but it it's the gnats making it raw and the flies just enjoying it, it may help.

I'm not sure what the tiny flies are called around here. We had horseflies this year, bad! But now it's iddy biddy flies. I don't think they're sand flies - we don't have sandy soil. They bite on the belly where the horses can't reach. I could spend all day scratching belly buttons and udders, between back legs. At least the horses are thankful for the attention.

I agree about them loving all those extra scratches!
The silver honey is enabling the sore to heal; Billy isn't pawing it and making it worse; flies cannot get to it. Win.
I tried vaseline and it did not work. The silver honey ointment is best. Need to order more!

Latest posts

Back