Foaling myths and realities

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
Just a few of my observations over the years and a couple of myths to put to rest.

Myth #1 - Banamine given right after delivery will keep the mare from passing the placenta or slow down the process.

Not true! Foaling is a painful process no matter how stoic the mare might appear afterwards. Giving Banamine immediately after foaling will do a couple of things. First it will help to relieve pain in the mare. She is still having contractions to deliver the placenta. She will pass the placenta as she would without Banamine. If the mare is not painful, she will be on her feet more and tending to her foal. The foal needs to nurse within the first few hours to get the critical colostrum. If the mare is painful, she will lay down more, roll, thrash and not interact well with her foal. In fact, she could become dangerous to her foal if she is in pain.

I give Banamine here orally as soon as the mare foals. Once the foal has been delivered, and it is up on it's sternum breathing well, I step out of the stall to get the Banamine to give to the mare. Sometimes, that's before she even stands. IMO, it is cruel to not give the mare something to relieve pain. After all, she has been working hard for US!

Myth #2 - Feeding the mare after foaling might cause an impaction.

Again, not true. Foaling causes a dramatic drop in blood sugar and some mares become hypoglycemic. They are weak, wobbly and have a hard time keeping their balance when on their feet. I put food of some sort out for my mares as soon as they foal. Generally when they stand. If the mare stays down longer, I will put food in front of her face. Most mares clean out well beforre foaling and it will be 24 hours or longer before they pass more manure. If there is any concern about impactions, give the food wet. Moisture in the GI tract will help to move things along. Again, a comfortable mare is much more likely to interact well with and take care of her newborn foal!

If there are any concerns, certainly contact your vet. A happy, healthy mare and foal should be everyones' goal!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for that information.

I think we often don't recognize that our mare is having pain.

I worry about the placenta passing and would have feared that banamine might slow the process.

What about oxytocin shots? Do most people give that shot after birth?

The dosage instructions on the bottle, in the opinion of our vet, are too high and cause very severe cramping for the mare. She said the mare does not need very much at all.

What about oxytocin shots? Do most people give that shot after birth?
I don't see the need to give Oxytocin unless there is a retained placenta. One that has not been delivered after 3 hours is considered retained. And yes, Oxytocin causes uterine contractions, so it is painful. Again, use if necessary, but not otherwise. IMO.

Same here. And I have had a few mares get hypoglycemic after foaling. Can you say SCARY?????? Starts out with shivering which goes to violent shivering and staggering around.

The first time I saw it I was thinking bleeding internally and in shock. Luckily the vet got right out due to my hysterical phone call. Vet said"Do you have any sweet feed?" I'm thinking "My mare is bleeding to death and you want sweet feed???" Then she explained to me what was going on. Talk about relief. 30 minutes later Dinah was fine after a big serving of sweet feed and munching on a pile of alfalfa hay.

And we do the banamine thing too. I've had a baby!
default_biggrin.png
Actually, before I figured THIS one out I had a mare have a very normal delivery, healthy baby, but mom began getting violent with baby. Flinging the filly across the stall with her head. Becky clued me in on this one. She said "give the mare banamine". I did. 30 minutes later mom was so sweet with her baby. I did have to give that mare banamine about every 12 hours for the first 36 or so hours. When she hurt she was going to be sure someone else hurt!

Charlotte

I agree and do both as well.
default_smile.png
I usually give a wet, warm mash of beet pulp and feed along with a little alfalfa.

I don't routinely give oxytocin. I do keep some on hand but have only had one or two occasions to use it. If things are progressing normally, she's uncomfortable enough on her own without oxytocin - it will cause her to cramp up more forcibly.

Once the mare is up and around, I also express enough colostrum to syrings a few cc's into baby unless I have one who is an especially quick nurser. Even if they are up and bumping around, a taste gives them an energy boost to stay after it.

It does not hinder them from finding it on their own, just seems to give them more vigor.

One other thing I've learned the hard way is that it's okay to guide the foal to mom but once you step in and try to get them to nurse on your terms LOL, you have a fight on your hands. I'd rather syringe it to them a few times and gently point them in the right direction than get into a battle of wills. Nothing much more stubborn than a colt determined to do it his own way! There are times you have to force the issue, but I avoid it if I can.

Jan

Great tips. I always give mushy soaked warm BP mixed with some oil and feed to get things moving again. Being DM2 myself I know the feeling of low Blood sugars after an ordeal. Just enough to get her some energy and a banamine shot. I will be cleaning out the foaling kit while I watch the SAINTS win today....WHO DAT?
default_biggrin.png

Good thread Becky
default_yes.gif

From what I've learned, foaling is like natures bumper cars, one thing triggers another. It starts when the foal triggers labor (don't blame your mare LOL)

The foal nursing triggers more contractions that help shed the placenta. My mares usually clean out right away, but if they don't and the foal isn't ready to nurse (or is in between tries) when the mare is trying to shed the placenta, I wash off the bag with a warm water cloth (I do anyway) and slightly stimulate her and that helps her shed it. Then I can clean her up and not worry about the foal getting covered in that mess when trying to nurse.

Just got up, NEED my coffee, hope I made sense LOL

I agree with all you wonderful people.

Yes, here too.... banamine IM after foaling. One thing that has not been mentioned is that the mare has less chance of colicing or foundering after foaling if they are given Banamine.

The mares get mashes, we milk out some colostrum for the foal so it does not spend all its energy trying to find the udder and getting worn out. That usually gives them the boost of energy and the insentive to find where that pot of gold is!
default_biggrin.png

We feed the warm beet pulp, with some oil mashes twice a day for a few days. I would rather have everything slide out then have the mare pushing hard and in pain when she is trying to pass her manure.

The mares love being baby'd too! They have carried that foal for nearly a year and deserve some TLC after birthing!

Lets make it as easy for them as we can !

OKAY LET ME GET ALL THIS STRAIGHT!!

The people I foaled out mares for gave no meds, etc. before or after birthing so this is new to me. I want to get meds from my vet and have them on hand and would like to know WHAT ALL MEDICATIONS DO YOU KEEP ON HAND FOR YOUR PREG MARES IN CASE OF NEEDING THEM, HOW MANY CC'S/ML'S (if applicable) DO YOU GIVE AND HOW OFTEN?

So far I have the following on my to-get list:

- Banamine

- Oxytocin

I am sure there are more - just fill me in LOL!

I also give my mares a dose of ivermectin dewormer after foaling, since I started doing this (after seeing it recommended on here) I have not had to deal with foal scours

I did the same--and the dewormer Lucky-C just mentioned. My mares would never eat that bran mash stuff, so I just gave them a hearty serving of cut up apples and carrots with some whole flax--they sure loved that.

Unfortunately, for me here in Nova Scotia, Canada; my vet will not give me Banamine without seeing the mare in question after foaling. Since I live half an hour away from him and it is a 200$ fee if the call is after hours I prefer not to have him in unless there is a problem. So far I haven't had a problem but it sure would be nice to have it just in case. I had heard that the acetaminophen? that the Farm stores sell for Dairy Cows might do the same thing. Anyone know anything about this? ANd oxytocin (OMG) there's just no way my vet would let me have that. It's all about the money I'm sure. He wants his farm visit fee and to heck with the thought that my mare might have to wait in intolerable pain while he makes his way here.

Katie,

It always pays to be prepared! Banamine I keep on hand for many things here. It's dosed at 1cc per 100 lbs body weight. Normally, a one time dose right after foaling is all that is needed.

Oxytocin is something that I normally don't keep as I rarely ever use it. I believe it's dosed 1.5 to 2.5 cc. It can be given every few hours. When I have it, my vet normally just draws up some in a few syringes and gives to me. If I have a retained placenta, I want my vet out to see the mare anyway, hence the reason it's not something I normally keep on hand.

Weerunner - that's terrible your vet won't give you something as common as Banamine to use as necessary. My vet doesn't want me to be without it! There is an aspirin for horses that you can buy over the counter here in the US. I don't know if it can be used after foaling or how effective it would be, but worth looking into.

I would not give Oxytocin without the vet being in attendance - I do keep it on hand, and might give a very small dose - ie .5cc if the vet said it was OK - but I have been told that Oxytocin given in too large an amount can cause a mare to prolapse her uterus
default_new_shocked.gif
and I can guarantee you I don't want to go down that path.

I would rather tie a wet washcloth to the platenta and hope that the additional weight would help gently ease the placenta out.

I do give Banamine & also Ivermectin post foaling - altho I go the oral route - I used to IM the Banamine but then I stared reading about all the abcesses caused by IM Banamine, so switched methods.

Post foaling I like to bed my mares on grass hay - that way they don't eat straw and they have plenty of snacking material right under their nose for when tthey want to lay down and get a well deserved rest (after carrying a foal for 11 mos I am sure they appreciate the little extras)

Stacy

I have no trouble getting banamine now, as my Vet actually trained in Australia with Minis, so even though most vets here are still fairly unknowledgeable about Minis, mine isn't!

So, yes, I do routinely dose, but orally, with banamine, nowadays.

I never used to, and never gave it a thought until I had (have) a mare who not only red bags almost every time, but also colics like clockwork after foaling.

A little pain relief (in the start it was bute) stopped the colicking and so now I give it anyway.

I do not routinely worm after foaling.

I would never give oxytocin, I want a vet there if a mare needs this. I do however, routinely, clean a mare out and have never (and I am touching wood) had a problem with a retained, truly, like after ten hours, retained, placenta.

Until the mare has gone over eight hours without passing or trying to pass the placenta I do not consider it retained....that might be a myth??

That the placenta has to be passed almost immediately or the mare will die???

We keep both banamine (paste form) and oxytocyn on hand. Our vet has given us dosage and encourages to use the banmine if the mare seems to be in ANY discomfort and the Oxy. sparingly as it does hurt for the mare to have prolonged contractions of the uterus.
default_no.gif

We also do some things like keeping good quality hay in front of the mare after she has foaled, giving soaked beet pulp to boost her sugar index and tyeing a knot in the lower end of the placenta, if it does not pass pretty quickly. The extra weight helps it separate and come on out.
default_wink.png

Washing the eyes, treating the navel and all the regular stuff goes on very quickly for the baby, with a minimum of contact and stress for the mare.
default_smile.png

Remember her natural response is to defend and look out for her baby so even a really sweet mare can react as a real hellion if she is stressed or perceives danger for her baby. Which is as it should be.
default_yes.gif

Just watching the mare can give you real input on how she is doing and then you can react accordingly. But as our vet always says the closer to natural the better with as little intervention, drugs and disruption as possible.
default_wub.png

That is our approach anyway and it seems to work for us and our mares.
default_aktion033.gif

By the way that is ridiculous pricing on the approach your vet takes on banamine, you can buy it over the counter here in the USA at places like Tractor Supply. I would find myself another Vet!

Until the mare has gone over eight hours without passing or trying to pass the placenta I do not consider it retained....that might be a myth??
Rabbit, medically, anytime longer than 3 hours without passing is considered retained. A vet needs to see a mare that has gone longer than 3 hours without delivering the placenta.

By the way that is ridiculous pricing on the approach your vet takes on banamine, you can buy it over the counter here in the USA at places like Tractor Supply.
John, you can buy Banamine at TSC? It's considered a prescription medication so I'm surprised. I'm going to have to look into that!

Latest posts

Back