Grain protein percentages

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildoak

Reaction score
After going to a Bluebonnet feed seminar recently, I have put some of my horses on their Equilene. Looks like a very good high quality feed all the way around, the only problem is that it's available at one feed store locally only and he's only carrying a few of their products. I've had them on Safe Choice and/or EQ Sr forever, 14% feeds but the only thing he has now is a 12%. For my big guys this is plenty of protein, in fact I like it better. What kind of protein do you feed, do you think 12% is adequate for a working show horse? Someone commented on another thread about using the protein to build topline... I do feed beet pulp as well, along with coastal hay and either alfalfa or the bagged alfalfa/timothy mix that TSC sells so they are not lacking.
default_wink.png
The feed also includes a probiotic, which means I can probably stop adding Fastrack.

Bluebonnet makes a 14% but he doesn't have it and I don't want to be dependent on a feed that I can't get all the time. It looks (and smells) good lol. They also make a senior feed and several others but he's not stocking them as of now. I think it's available pretty much only in the southwest states. It is one of the few companies that lists exactly what they put in the feed and doesn't substitute whatever is cheaper/more available at the moment.

Jan

I feed a ration balancer (30% protein) and a senior feed (14% protein) plus I have alfalfa dehy pellets (17% protein), orchardgrass pellets (8% protein), oats and beet pulp (not sure on the protein for my beet pulp or oats). Majority of my minis get the ration balancer plus some alfalfa pellets, the senior feed is primarily for my senior half-Arab gelding. All get locally grown grass hay. [Just started up with the alfalfa pellets this winter, my regular feed supplier doesn't carry them, but I can get them in another town fairly close.]

I much prefer staying on a feed that is readily available, from any location. You never know when you need to travel or would have to switch them back (the feed store decides not to carry it any longer).

I feed Strategy for pellets, coastal and alfalafa hay - pasture. I have also used new feeds before and liked them when I first starting using them and the quality of the feed goes down after a period of time, especially if they cannot sell the product they make, they start cutting corners.

Good luck,

Beth, Bluebonnet is not a new company, but they have reformulated feeds and - I think more than anything - tried to improve their visibility and compete on a bigger scale with Purina & Nutrena. I like the feed but I sure agree with you about buying something that's hard to find....that was my only hesitation in even trying this. That's just something I'll have to live with awhile and see how it goes.

I guess my bottom line question here is, will a 12% be enough protein?

Jan

Jan,

I looked up that Bluebonnet feed and I'm pretty impressed! I guess they are trying to get really competitive in the upper end horse feed market. I would certainly feed that. I think what you will have to do is just try it and see if it meets the condition you want for your horses. They do have several formulations of that as you know, but if you can only get that one, go with it and see what happens. I do like what is in it. If your horses aren't blooming the way you want after awhile, you might add something like Omega Horseshine with it.

Good luck with it and I'd like to hear a report back after you've been feeding it for awhile.
default_smile.png

Becky, I do think it's a good feed and I'm sure he will order what I want....just spoiled being able to find Safe Choice or Purina feeds everywhere lol. I think OK is in their territory too if I remember correctly.

This all came about because a local dressage/h/j trainer researched it and asked the feed store to carry it, and put together the seminar. She says her horses look better than they ever have. I will stay with it and see how they look in the spring - may have him order in Equilene in the 14% or some of the Intensify. Will give you an update in the spring when haircoats come off!

Jan

Hey!

I feed a am currently feeding all stallions, growing horses and show horses a 12% sweet feed top dressed with 1 ounce of Equi Omega Complex twice a day along with turn out to fescue hay for a few hours each day and the mares are getting 12% sweet feed & alfalfa pellets top dressed with 1 ounce of Equi Omega Complex twice daily.

I really like the Equi Omega so far - I have been feeding it since Thursday and no horses have refused to eat it plus, everyone is much "perkier" than normal around her and seem to be more animated but not "hot". The EOC is made with cocosoya so we are hoping for some weight gain on some of our hard keepers.

Good luck!

If they are getting a good quality hay I would think that would be enough protien when you figure in the whole diet

We have been big Prina fans, until the mill stopped carrying it. They let me know a head a time and gave me info on the replacements. It is much easier for me to have the mill deliver it, then to drive 30 minutes to TSC. I did have friend working at TSC and he bought the pallette, I went to get it and tthen he bought from me as he needed it.

But anyway. I found a great feed, Legends Grow & Preform Pelletted Horse Feed. 14% protien, 6% fat and 11% fiber. I am a big believer in low fiber. They get it from the grass/hay and beat pulp.

Any one heard or tried this feed? It is a Southern States projet and does have a better tag then Strategy. We will see.

Latest posts

Back