Grass Pasture & New Mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRACYQH

Reaction score
I've had Quarter Horses and Appendix QH my entire life. I stopped showing horses when my sons were born. Fast-forward 20 years. My barn and pasture are empty. No more 4-H or FFA projects. No more breeding stock. Nothing. I thought I would like the semi-retirement, but I miss my barn time. The boarding facility down the road was looking for a home for a 10-year-old mini mare. I'm getting her this weekend. ;) I am new to minis. I'm going to mow her pasture and was planning on hand grazing her for about 15 minutes a day and increasing the time as she gets acclimated to it. I will be stalling her at night and out during the day. I just don't want her to founder since she has always been on a small dry lot. Also, thoughts on the Purina Miniature Horse and Pony Feed or supplements? She will have the standard free choice fresh water and salt and mineral blocks.

She has never been bred. Thoughts on breeding her? I'm not dead set on breeding, but if it would be a possibility I may consider it. She is in excellent health and has a great temperament. I just don't want to put her in a bad situation. I know minis can have issues. Our Quarter Horse mares could have issues, but generally, everything was fine. If one of them had issues, you had more room to manipulate a dystocia. I feel if a mini gets into trouble it would just be terrible.

Any tips for a new Mimi Momma would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I've had Quarter Horses and Appendix QH my entire life. I stopped showing horses when my sons were born. Fast-forward 20 years. My barn and pasture are empty. No more 4-H or FFA projects. No more breeding stock. Nothing. I thought I would like the semi-retirement, but I miss my barn time. The boarding facility down the road was looking for a home for a 10-year-old mini mare. I'm getting her this weekend. ;) I am new to minis. I'm going to mow her pasture and was planning on hand grazing her for about 15 minutes a day and increasing the time as she gets acclimated to it. I will be stalling her at night and out during the day. I just don't want her to founder since she has always been on a small dry lot. Also, thoughts on the Purina Miniature Horse and Pony Feed or supplements? She will have the standard free choice fresh water and salt and mineral blocks.

She has never been bred. Thoughts on breeding her? I'm not dead set on breeding, but if it would be a possibility I may consider it. She is in excellent health and has a great temperament. I just don't want to put her in a bad situation. I know minis can have issues. Our Quarter Horse mares could have issues, but generally, everything was fine. If one of them had issues, you had more room to manipulate a dystocia. I feel if a mini gets into trouble it would just be terrible.

Any tips for a new Mimi Momma would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I work on a breeding farm and have done for 5 years and working with 10 mares I have found if you have small arms and lubricate well it is a bit more tight than Quarter horses and full size but if you know the anatomy well it should be fine if your mini does get a dystocia. Additionally just like full size horses try to get your vets personal number and have a good relationship because they are the best people on this planet they help us so much and are so underappreciated

Welcome TracyQH and congratulations on getting a mini mare!

I can’t think of a better choice for your barn. She will also love hand grazing and the time you spend with her. There are so many ways to enjoy a miniature horse!

I have used Purina Miniature Horse and Pony with good results and no problems. My 4 minis and one mini donkey, however, are all seniors now (in their 20’s) and are subsequently fed Purina Senior.

Enjoy the forum and let us know when your new buddy arrives!

Latest posts

Back