Herd bound cute duo. Any suggestions??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elauren27

Reaction score
Meet Moonmist and Moonshine! We recently acquired this pair. One is super friendly and chill* and happy to be mauled by 4 year olds. His only drawback is that he is OBSESSED with his buddy. He absolutely loses his mind if he is out of his sight, and can barely be led, because he is 100% focussed on his friend. He is so glued to his friend that even his friend gets annoyed sometimes. When he is separated from him he races around in a panic, whinnies and gets lathered up in a sweat. He has been saddled and is unconcerned with little girls sitting on him, as long as his friend is right in front of him

The other guy is the alpha of the two. He is nervous and not comfortable being handled anywhere but his face, but leads much better, and is fine going out to his paddock alone, and being around our other horses. He is slimmer than his emotionlly needy buddy, but our farrier says he has foundered in the past, and had very long dished front hooves. Bith horses are about 6-7 years old

They are extremely adorable, and we would like to work with them individually, but they seem inseparable. Has anyone dealt with anything like this? We have only had them for a few weeks so they are still adjusting.

suggestions welcome!
1000037653.jpg1000037631.jpg

1000036577.jpg

I have been told that you need to separate them so they can't see each other until he is over it. Which is at least a few weeks. You might try separating them to feed them, gradually increasing the distance between them when you work with them, or adding a 3rd. But I know people who have had to sell the horse to split them up. Oddly enough the horse doesn't usually get obsessed with another horse, it seems to fix the issue.

Hi, they are adorable! Are you ready for my suggestion? 🙂Add a little Moonlight to your herd and get a third mini to keep the one company while working with the other.🥰
Well, I do have another lovely mini, but he is not very concerned with him, he is a part of my full sized herd. They don't seem interested in him either. I have put them in with him one at a time, and the super needy guy just did his pacing and calling, and the less needy guy just said hi and focussed on consuming as much grass as possible 😆

I have been told that you need to separate them so they can't see each other until he is over it. Which is at least a few weeks. You might try separating them to feed them, gradually increasing the distance between them when you work with them, or adding a 3rd. But I know people who have had to sell the horse to split them up. Oddly enough the horse doesn't usually get obsessed with another horse, it seems to fix the issue.
Hmm... well i can put them i separate paddockks, but they will still be able to see each other, and DEFINITELY hear each other with all the whinnying Moonshine does!

Hmm... well i can put them i separate paddockks, but they will still be able to see each other, and DEFINITELY hear each other with all the whinnying Moonshine does!
Start with that, so not as stressed. A little at a time and then increase over time. You could also introduce your 3rd mini to your needy guy at this time without his bestie so close around. He might be more accepting after a while. Just a thought.

They are too cute for words, but I bet you have thought of a few recently! 😂 That is a tough situation especially with a child literally in the middle. Are the ponies both geldings?

Splitting them up seems inevitable and the ideas shared are good ones. If you want to keep both, I would formulate a plan that makes sense in your circumstances and plan on a long haul of patient persistence, prayer, humor, and about 20# of really good chocolate! ;)

Most likely, they are very bonded, and separating would be like the weaning process all over again; but perhaps the anxiety will lessen a bit once they are both more settled into their new home, especially the anxious one.

As the owner of a very co-dependant riding horse my suggestion is work with it instead of against it. You will all be happier. Adding a third member and making the duo a trio may help BUT I learned many years ago that a buddy sour horse needs that other horse to feel confident. My horse ripped a hitching post out of the ground and ran off to find his buddy even with another horse that he knew still at camp with him.

Actually, maryflora has a good point. Do you want to keep both? If the other guy is not really kid safe you might consider finding a new home for him. Once his buddy is gone the safer one will calm down. (It will take time) You already have a friend for him so he won't be alone. And as far as I can tell, that's the easiest way to fix this issue. I don't know why it happens, but when it does it's a huge pain to fix.

Well, that is a thought. The trouble is we bought the pair sight unseen with another family, and the sweet one is theirs/ their daughters (my daughter's best friend). If I sell the jumpy one i'm all out of cute white ponies! But I will consider it if things continue to be a problem to work them alone.

Latest posts

Back