Its that time of year....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowpaints

Reaction score
well in a mere 3 months and 10 days we have our first show! YAY! Im so excited! so i am trying a new approach... instead of mixing what seems like million different feeds together, im going to feed Omelene. some of you feed this i think? any who here is who i am feeding :

Mikey- 4 year old pintalossa gelding. he is a bit overweight (arent we all early spring??LOL) his IDEAL weight should be around 250 i think he weighs about 275. he will be driving this year (first time at the shows!) also in hand classes and liberty. he will be getting worked startiung next week.. lunging and driving as long as the snow stays away!

Angel- 2 year old bay (possibly roan) filly- just halter classes.. i think she can do liberty also. she is her ideal weight right now.. not sure of her weight

Millie- yearling silver dapple filly could use a few pounds, she is gonna be a tall one i think! she will be halter only also

Cash- 2 year old stallion, will be doing liberty and halter.. perfect weight.

ok so my question is... what should i start feeding??? they are all getting a cup of oats and 2 of my homade cookies with flax seed and paprika for color. do i need to add more oil?? and what else... their coats are dull from winter so im not sure?? im looking forward to kicking butt in the show ring!!

Also how warm should it be to clip just head and necks?? im excited to see that is under that fuzz! thanks all!

Edited: 1 cup omolene 200 weighs 5 or so oz....small coffee can ..1 lb 4 oz +/-

Good luck with the Platform.

Sue
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
i am not a fan of the omolene feed but i just wanted to say that as i beleive the paprika does work as i used to use it i heard recently that it shows up in drug tests, anyone want to jump in on this?

so just be aware

angel

i am not a fan of the omolene feed but i just wanted to say that as i beleive the paprika does work as i used to use it i heard recently that it shows up in drug tests, anyone want to jump in on this?so just be aware

angel
I've heard paparika does show up in drug test??? I don't know for sure but heard that when I was showing a blood bay so never tried it. I use the Rose Oil as it intensifies color 2-3 shades. And, no worries...just spray it on wet or dry.

I don't feed Omelene either sorry!

well i dont have to feed omelene!!! i just found out a tack/vet supply store near by has now started to carry feed! and when i went in to get Goat Chow... OMG was i excited!! they are now carrying PLATFORM!!! YEAH! im so excited they are the only people near me that carry it! so the minis will all be starting platform miniature horse feed soon!

the weather is really chilly here so a full body clip is a long way off probaly till mid april anyways! but i would like to do a head and neck... gotta wait! lol

thanks again!

Becca

We tried Omolene last year and it just did not do "it" for my horses....some of mine are easy keepers and some are not so much.

The platform mini feed is garbage, IMO. If you do a search on the forum for it you will see that very few people like it, and nearly all of us have tried it. Your probably better off with the omolene, or heck, if you can get omolene which is made bu Purina, they can probably order you strategy if they don't normally stock it

really?? hm . the platform is what my stud cold was on when he came here and his coat was so shiney and soft.... his previous owner, lives by platform. im gonna try it any ways. i can get strategy too but had never fed it to minis. thanks for the advice! it never hurts to ry new things, right?
default_smile.png

I too have been feeding Strategy here for about 3 months and really like it. My horses were eating Equine Jr before that, but I had problems with mold in it.

And when I asked around I never heard anything good about Platform either. Most said that is was very dusty and basically just a "filler" feed. So I never did try it.

I also feed Strategy and prefer it over any other feed I have ever tried (Horseman's Edge, Platform, etc.). I feed it to both my riding horses and my miniature ones. The minis get 1/4 pound of Strategy per day and a 1/4 pound soaked Beet Pulp a day. Horses that need a bit more calories for weight get 1/2 or 1 cup of Corn Oil per day which I have found also makes the coat nice and shiney! Be careful when you first start using it as it will cause their stools to be a bit loose until they are used to it.

For me this system works really well - of course if someone needs more weight the only thing I do is increase Beet Pulp to 1/2 pound per day and start adding in Corn Oil. Otherwise they get 1/4 pound Strategy and 1/4 pound Soaked Beet Pulp if they are in good weight. I never increase the amount of Strategy as I am 100% convinced that Soaked Beet Pulp will fix it every time!

~Katie~

When I fed it to a yearling stud colt I had terrible results. His coat was alright, but his topline looked terrible, and he had a big belly from bad nutrition/protein. I had to feed atleast twice as much of it as I did strategy, and he looked 10X better on strategy. I feel strategy is a far superior feed, and if you ask trainers what they feed, I bet most tell you strategy. Also, I dont know about where you live but platform mini here is $19 a bag, strategy is $13 a bag, and I always had to feed less strategy, lasted about twice as long as a bag of platform mini. Good luck in whatever you choose.

yes you have to saok shredded beet pulp but it only has to sit for 10 minutes maybe a little longer. i switched to that so much easier

No, you DON'T have to soak beet pulp shreds. It is an old myth that when a horse eats it dry it will expand in the horses stomach and the horse would colic. That is not true, the bet

Et pulp is not in the horses stomach long enough to expand to that point. I hae a few links but i cant find them now.

I did feed them dry, but decided to feed it wet because of the addad hydration in the winter.

I soak my bp too. I have a 32yr old qtr horse and if I give it to him dry he chokes. But, never had a problem with colic when I used to feed it dry. Always heard more about the choking problem.

Im pretty sure a forum member had a dog who got into some unsoaked shredded beet pulp and had to have emergency surgery to remove the mass.

Not a chance im willing to take, I mean come on what does a little water cost, and whats 10 minutes of your time versus an expensive vet trip.

We currently and always will feed Omelene. Last year we tried a new feed but found that we were having to feed sooo much to keep our horses filled out....so we switched back to omelene 200. We feed Omelene,born to win(natures essentials) as a dietary supplement,flaxseed and SOAKED beet pulp, as well as a muscle builder,nu image and daily dewormer. This combo works for us year after year on both our halter horses and driving horse. As for the beet pulp...i serve it soaked because who would want to eat dry beet pulp i would think it would be kinda rough on the throat haha. Plus water works great for extra hydration and i add hot water to it in the winter to give the horses a nice hot treat.

Samantha

Latest posts

Back