Mixing paste wormers with grain

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minis3

Reaction score
I just wormed my 3 minis yesterday and mixed the paste wormer with their grain. My little filly is easy to worm orally but my 2 geldings are a bit like trying to worm godzilla so I just mixed all 3 minis wormer in their grain. Was wondering if any one else does this?

Wouldn't work around here. I have several that don't like the taste of wormer and no amount of grain will mask that taste. But, for the most part, I don't have any problems just worming them with the tube as intended. I did try the IverEase granular ivermectin that you add to feed (not daily, just one you can add to feed), and it worked pretty good for everyone (it comes packaged in doses for 250# increments).

Have never done it with a PASTE wormer. I don't think we'd get away with that.

We have squirted LIQUID wormer on their grain, though, and been successful -- in that they eat all their grain!

We only do it to a couple of horses who have a phobia about things being stuck into their mouths. I've also given those same girls liquid Banamine that way, when they've foaled.

MA

We have one mare who on some days hates paste wormer witha passion. You can't get it near her. Other times she will stand fine and take it with no trouble. One day thought I'd get her outsmarted. I had apple slices out in the barn and put her wormer dose in between 2 slices like a cookie. Lets just say it was several days before she would even sniff an apple slice. She will not eat grain with any wormer in it.

I've done this and it worked but none of mine ever leave a single oat. I also had a big mare that was just plain dangerous when you tried to stick the tube in her mouth and we squirted it on peppermint pieces and she was no problem at all. I think the peppermint masked the taste.

Mary

We take a treat (A good 1 is Gypsy Love i think its called?) and put the wormer on the treat for the difficult ones! For example, Kid the gelding I work wit, rears when you try to worm him. And Dancer, a bay mare will rear up also!

I feed Strongid C daily wormer with their grain in the evening and paste worm with Zimectrin twice a year and put that on top of their grain and have no problems.

Thanks for your replies. It was the first I had mixed their wormer with their grain and I must say that they were not thrilled. My one guy looked at me as if to say " what have you done to my grain!" But they did all eat it although not as happily as usual.

Latest posts

Back