Ouija boards

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I found it! This is the thing I had for a short time as a kid:

http://www.museumoftalkingboards.com/ziriya.html

Doesn't look as scary now as I rememember but then it's daylight right now
default_wink.png

I'm not generally a superstitious person, but I also don't dismiss things just because I don't understand them. My grandmother had her mother's Ouija board in her house for a long time (my great-grandmother definitely believed in the occult), and when my siblings and I were little we used to ask silly questions (like "Is Tiffany adopted") and were quite obviously pushing it. When I was a little older--around 13 I think--my best friend and I were home alone and decided to play with it. Being young girls, most of our questions were about boys, but what the pointer started spelling out was totally unrelated and quite frankly disturbing. I know *I* wasn't pushing the pointer, and I honestly can't imagine my friend was that dark at that age. We didn't just put the board away, we hid it and left the house to walk down the road to the farm. We ended up running, because the whole way we felt like someone was following us. That board stayed hidden all these years. It's funny that this topic came up, because just last month when my uncle was home for the holidays he wanted to know what happened to great-grandma's board. You'd have to see my grandma's house to understand why no one but me knew where it was. I dug it out, and the pointer was gone. I know it's cheesy, but it totally gave me the chills. No thank you!

You sound like me RRT. I always feel rather silly for being upset by the thing. It is JUST a piece of cardboard with a paper marked with letters etc. glued to it, but some how that is NOT how it feels and all the common sense in the world will not make me feel more blase (sp) about it. I would rather just have nothing more to do with it.

Jill I recall having seen various knock offs' too over the years but not the one you had exactly. Still I don't think it matters what they are called I will still avoid them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember a girlfriend's mother having one when I was in my early teens we would goof around with it and I took it as "just" a game. Then one day we had it out and it started giving these off the wall answers and she kept asking me if I was pushing the pointer to those answers/letters because she wasn't. Well neither was I. It scared the cr*p out of us and I have never touched one again. I would not let my daughter have one either.

Throw it away or burn it.

I believe they are a "toy" that Satan plays with you. I have personally tried to throw one away and it has reappeared in our closet, in our attic, and finally dissapeared when we burned it, I am not kidding at all. I was a young kid and my sisters were playing with it. It was a birthday gift and my Mom FREAKED!! She has had a lot of spiritual warfare in her life and she did the right thing by taking it away. BAD STUFF
To be marketed as a kids game that someone else actually controls is one thing, but whose to say there isn't something else moving it, don't take the chance of inviting those demons into your home.
I'm with you on this one. I have a cousin who had similar experience. They ended up painting a red x on it and burning it.

My Mom and I had one when I was 16. My best girl friend was killed suddenly 10/68. It was a while after that I remember asking the board questions about my friend and asking questions only she would have known the answers to. Many were not yes or no. Well it got the answers right and I wasn't pushing the thingy. So think about that one!

My daughter had a board in her room yesturday, the pointer was broke. Well its in a bag at the Hagerstown landfill today. I will let you know if it shows back up at the house someday. Eeewww that's a creapy thought, Ugh.

I find it interesting how many people have had the same experience with these things. Starts out fun and harmless but in the end leaves everyone feeling the same way. Add me to the list. One of my friends had one when I was a kid and at first it was silly and fun. I really believed that my friends were moving it. In the end though I'm not sure what exactly happened but it was not fun and just the mention of the thing gives me the creeps and puts a little fear in me. No thanks.
default_no.gif

To sum up all I could say, it's not a toy, get rid of it.

IMO, just like some people can paint and some can't, I believe that the Ouija works for some and not for all. So to some it's a game (that it doesn't work for) and others have learned better.

I have not touched one in over 25 years and I never will again. Leave it at that.

Why not just fling open your front door and let everyone be exposed to whatever enters! Only this is more dangerous as it concerns the other world which most people can't see. After opening this portal, whatever has entered, with your permission, is VERY hard to get rid of. This is just my opinion from having seen it happen to people I knew years ago. It's not a toy.

Of course there are those who are knowing of the spirit world and say prayers of protection and use it as a tool to contact the spirit world. It's not for me though.

Very interesting topic... Fun to read all the replies.....

I have to be added to the list of ones that have used it with a friend (I think it was home made?? Can't remember).... but we did it at my friends house, outside at night under the yard light.... Nothing happended at the time... "BUT".. I swear to this day... (maybe it's gone now) BUT something came out of that thing! I had WEIRD nightmareish crap happen to me after that.... dreams that seemed SO real, like someone was right there and it was NOT good!

I do believe there is another side... and some people are more sensitive to that stuff than others..... I've not really had anything wierd like that happen since i don't live in my mom's house (haven't for YEARS!).......but I do know the first house i lived in with my X HAD to of been haunted... upstairs...... VERY weird & freaky stuff going on up there! But I just tried to blow it off and make excuses for it......

But that stuff "does" exsists....

I would NEVER EVER EVER have OR ever use a oujia board or ANY thing to resemble one again....... you are just ASKING for trouble!!!!!!!! You have NO power nor can see what is on the other side waiting for the opportunity to get threw!

I don't think it's even a matter of positive or negative thinking.... it's just the facts.....

I played with one once at a birthday party....I think i must have been 11 or 12 and the six or seven other girls at the party were the same age. We never really got an answer out of it because we were all pushing it
default_laugh.png
I remember i thought i saw it move on it's own when no one else was in the room with me the next morning but no on believed me....and i was 11 or 12 and scared of it i'm not sure what i saw either
default_wink.png

My mom always tells me a story about she played when she was young and it told her she was going to marry Donnie Osman, not even close to the truth.

I don't know how the board "works" I had no idea that it invites spirits into your home...that sounds pretty powerful to me. I don't think i would let one in my home, even more so if it would keep returning from the dump and find it's way into my closet THATS FREAKY!

To sum up all I could say, it's not a toy, get rid of it.
IMO, just like some people can paint and some can't, I believe that the Ouija works for some and not for all. So to some it's a game (that it doesn't work for) and others have learned better.

I have not touched one in over 25 years and I never will again. Leave it at that.
I haven't touched one in that long either and will never again. IMO, belief in ANYTHING creates power and well, some things are better left alone, especially by children.

I used it once that I remember. I wanted to know if I'd see the boy from Canada with whom I'd had an innocent summer romance. It said I'd see him in 1984. Well if we saw each other, I didn't recognize him! LOL

Never had anything freaky with it.

But my daughter is using it at college. She says they do protective spells and stuff. I think she is a sensitive. So I've arranged to take her to someone who has experience as a medium. (Whether you believe in what mediums say they can do or not, trust me when I say that this woman is incredible.) She can advise my daughter and I can feel better.

I'll update you guys after the meeting.

played with one as a kid with some friends when I was 10 or 11 or so, and though I remember being really creeped out in general by it, the only detail that still sticks with me from that time is having it tell me I was going to marry someone named "Robert" which totally disgusted me because the only "Robert" I knew was a total bully in school a couple of years ahead of me that was a lot taller and bigger than the other kids and was really mean and smelly and once made another boy eat his boogers on the playground.

Guess what? I did marry some named "Robert" aka "Bob" , thankfully he isn't that booger bully from my childhood, but anytime someone mentions Ouija boards I think of the devastating news that I was going to marry "Robert" that haunted me for years.

EDIT TO ADD.......I was shocked to see them for sale in the games sections at Target and Walmart and I would never ever buy one for my children to play with.

Wow! I'm obviously totally in the minority here, but I think it's (the board) a load of crap. I'm NOT dismissing anyone's experience after/during using one, but my PERSONAL opinion is that one's mind and own spirit are in charge and not a game board. I believe it's like many other things. If you THINK it will, it WILL.

BTW, yes I played with one at a girlfriend's house as a teenage. To this day I believe we were pushing the pointer around.

Last edited:
I personally find it hard to believe that Milton Bradley has singlehandedly opened a portal to heck.

Cast my vote for harmless, possibly dumb, toy.

I thought it is Parker Bros. that market the "talking board" now? Regardless, something similar to the Ouija board has been around far longer than Parker Bros. or Milton Bradley--something similar to the board was around in ancient times--similar instruments were used in China prior to 551 BC to communicate with the dead. Wikipedia actually says it was longer ago than that--1200 BC.

Here's some fun reading for those who see it as just a game:

Ouija board warning

Growing up, we had all the board games, including the Ouija board. There is no doubt who was making that pointer move -- one of my brothers...not me, of course!

The truly evil game was Candyland, with the nastly little green-eyed monsters it brouight out in us. The things we wouldn't do to earn that little shortcut guaranteed to make you win that game. Just the thought of it makes me want to hit my little brother!

Dude! I watched the video on that Ouija board warning link and learned that during some high school guy's "peak of supernatural power" (courtesy of the all powerful Ouija board) he recieved two TRAUMATIC BLOWS: his girlfriend of several years broke up with him (shocker) and a couple relatives died (totally unnatural). For the first time in his short existence on earth he realized he wasn't in control of everything in his life (*gasp*) and he had no coping skills. In an effort to heal himself emotionally, he went to bible study where he reportedly felt a burning sensation the first time he tried it, which lessened the next time he attended. He prayed for forgiveness, accepted Christ as his savior and I guess he was finally able to get a handle on those pesky STDs (AKA Ishtar) and halucinations (drugs, perhaps?)...
default_wacko.png

Sorry, but I couldn't get past the awesome video to read all the jibberish below.

Wow, my family was just talking about ouija boards the other night. I personally have never "played" with one, and I can honestly say I never will. I've heard too many stories and why take the chance of something happening?

When I was in high school, I had a good friend who played with one when she went to her friend's house. They got really weird vibes from it because it started answering things they weren't asking it. They threw it under the bed and left the room. When they came back, the board was on the dresser.

My husband said when he was younger, him and his cousin used to put the board up against the bed and slide down it. He said there was something weird about it because it held their weight and never broke. He swears he'd never use one again.

Latest posts

Back