Pregnant,or maybe Haybelly. What are your guesses ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CSilv21

Reaction score
Hi ,
We have a little mini mare at our home. We absolutely love her. We got her from an auction back around the beginning of July 2024.We have our vet coming out in a couple of weeks but wanted to see your thoughts on her looking like she has been bred. We have a P-test coming in within the next few days but thought it would her interesting to hear your thoughts !! There was no note that she had been with a stud previously , however due to not knowing much about her, were thinking it could be a possibility. My other thoughts would be hay belly or even Cushings, or whatever endless possibilities, just looking for thoughts before the vet comes in a few weeks to take a look! The trailer pic is the day she was on her way to us, the others are from recently. I also have not noticed her come into heat while with us - but we weren’t really looking either.

Attachments

• IMG_2402.jpeg
    IMG_2402.jpeg
    1,010.7 KB
  • IMG_2047.jpeg
    8 MB
  • IMG_2042.jpeg
    5.9 MB
  • IMG_2035.jpeg
    8.7 MB
Well, that definitely could be a baby belly. But it's so hard to tell. First thing I would do is take a look at her udder. You should be able to take an educated guess on if she has foaled before by how it looks. If you stick your phone up under you should be able to get a good picture. That's the easiest way to see. Sometimes mares that have had a lot of foals look pregnant all the time. Where did you get the pee test, I've been looking for those.

Ah, it must be fall. The time of year when so many posts of "does my mare look pregnant??" appear. Firstly, thank you for giving a home to this darling little girl. And you're right, you never know until you know about exposure to a stud. Hopefully your test can give you some peace of mind. Otherwise, only time will tell.

Well, that definitely could be a baby belly. But it's so hard to tell. First thing I would do is take a look at her udder. You should be able to take an educated guess on if she has foaled before by how it looks. If you stick your phone up under you should be able to get a good picture. That's the easiest way to see. Sometimes mares that have had a lot of foals look pregnant all the time. Where did you get the pee test, I've been looking for those.
I ordered it online with Em lab Genetics !! I actually tried looking at the utter and took a picture but she was over my photo shoot of her at that point but I will be redoing that this weekend when the daylight / weather cooperates lol!

Ah, it must be fall. The time of year when so many posts of "does my mare look pregnant??" appear. Firstly, thank you for giving a home to this darling little girl. And you're right, you never know until you know about exposure to a stud. Hopefully your test can give you some peace of mind. Otherwise, only time will tell.
😂 I saw so many other posts on the same thing , however I could never see the ending of their mares ended up being pregnant. It’s really nice having a spot where we can feel comfortable asking those knowledgeable!! I really appreciate your feedback !! She is an amazing addition to our little farm, our children absolutely love having her !!

That needs to be a rule. If you ask if you mare is pregnant, you need to update the post once you know. 🤣
Right !!! I feel like I spent serious investment time in looking to see if there were babies or not ! I’ll update my post with the P-stick results ( I know they aren’t 100% ) and the vet results & 🤞a baby if it happens lol

I know, it's so disappointing when you never find out. And how can you compare your mare to that one if you don't know what you are comparing to? You can always try the nail test, or the ring test (same thing) But my mare has always tested not pregnant, and I got 2 colts out of that.

Ah, it must be fall. The time of year when so many posts of "does my mare look pregnant??" appear. Firstly, thank you for giving a home to this darling little girl. And you're right, you never know until you know about exposure to a stud. Hopefully your test can give you some peace of mind. Otherwise, only time will tell

Lol I was thinking the exact same thing about my mini mare. Her belly blew up in size all of a sudden but she's had less exercise to recover from a mild injury. Her fluff also makes her look bigger than she actually is.

Lol I was thinking the exact same thing about my mini mare. Her belly blew up in size all of a sudden but she's had less exercise to recover from a mild injury. Her fluff also makes her look bigger than she actually is.
Haven't seen you on posting for a while, hope all is well and your pony is recovering well. You guys have certainly been through the ringer!

Haven't seen you on posting for a while, hope all is well and your pony is recovering well. You guys have certainly been through the ringer!
Ponies are both great. They were thoroughly miserable with the Socal heat but it's finally starting to cool off. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Also got a job finally up north and will be moving them to our property within the next month!

Latest posts

Back