Rope halters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some big horse folks I've talked with lately have switched to rope halters instead of nylon or leather. Some pro arguments, according to them, are ease of sizing to different horses and adjusting the halter for the pressure points.

What are some thoughts here about rope halters for miniatures?

Do you mean the made up kind with nose band and frost lash etc or the kind that is just a nose piece and a poll piece that tightens when pulled (like a fire halter)

If the first one: I think they are a bit of a gimmick but they can look cute. I don't think they exert any more pressure than a normal halter cause half the time they're not fitted correctly.

If the second one: they are ok for short periods but I would not want to use them for a flighty animal cause they can over tighten and scare them more.

That's all I use anymore. Yes rope halters can fit a variety of different horses and with the minis trust me it helps. They help get the horse's attention and help them not lean on the halters as much, your nylon halters really have not effectiveness and they will tend to lean on the halter more. Can it cause sores, yes if not used correctly. I had one that did rub marks on her face because she leaned on it so badly but she finally got the idea and decided it was easier not to. Rope halters are halters you do not want to leave on a horse unattended, but really you shouldn't with any halter.

I find more advantages to them then disadvantages but I know people on here are HIGHLY against them. Any tack if not used correctly will cause more harm than good, but in my experience I don't see them any more or less dangerous than leather/nylon halters.

I use rope halters on all my full-size horses and really like them, but have yet to find ones that properly fit my minis and I don't feel you get the same affect on a mini with them just due to logistics (you are taller than the horse, so when you pull on the lead it touches them differently). Just my thoughts on them, that said, I do have a couple rope halters, but have yet to find one I really like that is similar to the full-size ones I have (the mini size rope halters I have are floppy, whereas my full-size ones have shape and firmness).

I personally loathe rope halters. Always have--and I won't buy or use them. I was so happy to stuck the last of the full size ones into an auction sale and have them GONE years back!

I have never had an issue with nylon or leather halters--my horses are always good to handle in them and I have no need for rope halters that act on pressure points. Sizing--I have a variety of sizes so not an issue making one fit.

What are your reasons for loathing them out of interest? I neither love nor loathe them and don't quite understand why people have such strong feelings about them lol

I have been looking at some, but have no idea what features are good or bad. What thickness? Some seem designed with the rope right next to the eye. Does that design apply a certain pressure? I am not sure any of the big horse folk I know really understand them.

I have one - and use it if I'm needing to catch a horse for just a couple minutes to worm it, and then let it loose immediately. They work great for that because I only need to carry one halter, and adjusts to each horse instantly.

I have both rope and strap halters. I just use whatever I grab first. I do prefer rope for a couple of our riding horses that learned to hang back until the hardware on the strap halters would break. The rope halters don't break and quickly cured that habit.

I have to admit, the rope halter is a bit of a pain to tie on Major because of his out of control mane. It's much easier when I hog his mane in the spring. What I don't like are the ones with the knots across the nose. Ouch!

I'm puzzled by the poor opinions on rope halters. Granted, I've only bought one that was commercially-made and ended up giving it away, because it was too small. It seemed well-made, and the nice thing was that it had no buckles or snaps.

My nylon strap-type halters don't last long. (...especially considering the cost.) But the really, most sucky experience was when we took Baby to the vet hospital. They were examining her in the parking lot, and that brass snap thing (on a 5/8 inch rope) broke. It's huge and looks sturdy. But it just flat out broke with very little pressure applied. Luckily, she's a good girl, and my husband just hugged her neck to hold her until I could get her jury-rigged.

I agree w/ several of the posters here - both for and the one against (Holly).

The mini halters meant for smaller minis (commercially made and purchased) haven't fit any of the horses I've tried using them on (smaller minis under 34" in size). They are made from larger rope and I've found them cumbersome and that they don't work effectively. Better there with a nylon or leather halter - and these days you have soooo many choices in the mini sizes/colors that that's the most fun, cost effective way to go. I really don't have smaller minis (my foals don't stay small that long!), so can't really address the being taller/halter shifting or not working right... I can see that happening though, but I've had it happen with nylon and leather ones as well as with headstalls/bridles.

BUT on larger minis - I've purchased name brand Diamond and Clinton Anderson one's that fit the larger 36" to 48" minis, shetlands, Shetland Xs and Arabs and LOVE them. The name brand ones DO wear out - so don't let the hype about them being "longer lasting" get you... Not true. Same as any other leather or nylon halter - depending on quality of rope and how it is used/taken care of. The weanling size fits my larger ponies, the foal size fits the smaller ones (not any of the foals though), the yearling or Arab size fits my horses. The smaller the horses' head - the bulkier the halter as the diameter of the rope doesn't change. Other name brand halters that I've tried aren't small enough.

Both myself and my farrier have made several for me that I use. I've braided them out of haystring (I REALLY "likey", but whew - time consuming to make), made them out of straight paracord (not braided - too thick that way), and out of a larger diameter, soft rope. I don't particularly care for the real soft ones - for me, the whole point of the halter is instant release of pressure when a response is achieved and that doesn't happen with the "soft" ones. But the soft ones do work for just holding them, IF the horse is well mannered. IF a pony or mini pull back in the soft ones the tie knot over the crown pulls so tight they can't be undone - I've had to cut them off. Haven't had that issue with the stiff ones - not even on a 1,200 # horse that sat back so hard she lifted her front end completely off the ground (she was a regular "halter puller" and broke many regular halters, lead ropes, posts and even flipped a 2 horse trailer over, before she came to me)....

Horse dot com used to carry a yearling size that fit my larger ponies and Arabs for only $7 - that was GREAT. They don't carry it any more (only average size - which is WAY too large for any of mine)..
default_sad.png

I like tie halters simply because I LOVE equipment that is all one piece w/ little to no hardware to break. I love adjustable sizes. I've turned my belts into emergency halters when needed (and hate it when I see a loose horse, not always ours, and no belt). The rope halters "mash down" to fit in a pocket of a coat, or in a small car (always have some in all of our vehicles now - even hubbies!!).

In the end - all halters are a personal choice. Any halter of good quality material & good fit, is "pricey". All halters can be made of substandard materials - though they sure do look great in catalog/online pics and even when you first get them... Rope halters - the smaller the diameter and the stiffer the rope, the "harsher" it can be - but for training that's exactly what I want, to achieve an instant release. Even poor quality rope halters won't break if a horse gets hung up in them - hence why they should never be left on in a loose situation (but then no halter should be, and I have been guilty of that w/ a few hard to catch ones)...

Someone asked why I loathe rope halters. Preference I suppose. IMO they do not fit well-at least I don't like the way they fit. Too often the noseband is droopy, for one thing. I just don't like the way they look. Kind of like the bronc nosebands--some people love them and think they look pretty; I think they are hideously ugly.

My nylon halters sometimes go stiff after a few years--by then I'm out nothing as I generally pay only $4-6 each for them.

When I was a kid we pretty much had only rope halters. Soft rope. Stiff rope. I hated them all. Leather halters were such a huge improvement...the stiff rope ones went to auction. A couple soft ones got taken apart and the rope got used for something else.
default_smile.png

BUT on larger minis - I've purchased name brand Diamond and Clinton Anderson one's that fit the larger 36" to 48" minis, shetlands, Shetland Xs and Arabs and LOVE them. The name brand ones DO wear out - so don't let the hype about them being "longer lasting" get you... Not true. Same as any other leather or nylon halter - depending on quality of rope and how it is used/taken care of. The weanling size fits my larger ponies, the foal size fits the smaller ones (not any of the foals though), the yearling or Arab size fits my horses. The smaller the horses' head - the bulkier the halter as the diameter of the rope doesn't change. Other name brand halters that I've tried aren't small enough.
I don't know... I have a Diamond or maybe Double D rope halter that is nearly 30 years old and I'm still using it, it's not as pretty as it once was, but it's still holding strong. But, it's not seen much weather, always stored in a tack room or trailer. [it might be only 25 years old, as I didn't get it right away when I got my first horse 29 years ago.]

This picture is about 16 years old, since it was taken in Colorado, but I'm still using this halter, but on a different horse these days.

Cheddar - tongue.jpg

Keywords - "always stored in a tack room or trailer"... You go girl!!

Also, I've still got equipment I purchased in 1995 (some that regularly hangs out in the weather) that is good and working and holding strong. Other items I've purchased in the last few years - have had to be replaced. Things made today don't seem to last as long - even items made right here in the good, ol' USA. Makes me sad... And this includes everything from furniture and interior stuff in the house - to my horse trailers (have a 1969 Gore stock that will outlast my 2012 CM stock - both are steel but the steel is SOOOO different), BRUSHES, nylon halters (still have our first 2 mini ones that I purchased in 1995 when I was in MT - they are faded the hardware is just NOW starting to rust, but they are WONDERFUL), lead ropes, hardware hardware hardware... buckets - again have some Farnam ones I got up in MT in 1995 - they are used for feeding and they hang out in MT went thru several blizzards and here extreme changes in weather, too BUT just replaced 2 buckets that I purchased in March due to cracks (I feed wet).
default_sad.png

Sorry - didn't mean to get off the topic...

So knots over the nose are not desireable in a halter one just intends to use for everyday use?

I can certainly see the advantage of having one just in case a neighbor horse gets loose. I have been meaning to do that.

Marsha - it's hard to say.

When I started using the knotted, tie halters - everyone told me you should never tie a horse up in it nor should they be trailered in it. Kinda defeats the purpose in my mind as when I use a halter on a horse, I need to be able to tie him up and I also may very well want to haul him in the trailer. I'm not just going to switch halters.

That said - I have some I don't like using a rope halter on. Just doesn't work so well - and it is training issues and knowing what they can get away with. Smart little beggers! I use a flat nylon halter w/ a stud chain on the lead rope for those. When tying them up - they ARE NOT tied w/ the stud chain lead unless the chain is taken off from over the nose. Or I use a 2nd lead rope not hooked to the chain to tie up with.

Most mini sized tie halters don't come with the 2 center knots that lay directly below the top nasal bone (along w/ the knot on each side that connects the nose to the crown).

Personally I like using my tie halters on most of ours for daily use. Since I have different "levels" of stiffness, I have different horses that I use specific halters with. Takes trial and error learning which ones I use which on - and I make a mental note as to which one then gets used in the future. I have a lot of different halters now and not sure if I even have enough for everyone at one time at the moment... LOL.

Here's pics of the various rope halters I have.

I have 2 softer black rope ones with decorative paracord wrapped over the nose, around the end that makes the tie and around where the loop is for the tie. I have 1 foal size CA halter (in purple), 2 purple weanling size CA halters, 1 red weanling size CA halter, 2 paracord halters w/ wrapped nose bands sized for new foals. 2 braided from haystring - 1 that is 6 strands and fits the larger shetland mares and 1 made from 4 strands fitting the smaller shetlands but not the foals...

I don't tie up directly with the paracord halters - I use a rope either around the barrel (foals) or around the neck (older/larger) that is run thru a ring attached to the halter. Moves freely and doesn't put the pull directly on the halter, so they aren't pulled too tight nor "cutting pressure" from the narrow cord put right behind their ears.

paracord foal halter on a day old foal - and on an older colt that stayed much smaller than the first filly. The lead was run thru the tie loop and didn't move smoothly/release as well as it would have if a ring had been used. The blue halter on the mare is a weanling size CA halter (not mine). We used those halters under the driving bridles a lot - they work well.

12mar30cla336.jpg

12nov20ze151.jpg

Here is a softer diameter rope halter on a 1/2 shetland colt - 1st pic - it's still too large, 2nd it fits better when he's exactly 2 yrs older. Yes, he is 6 months old and being ground driven in a "harness" and bit.

11oct12com540.jpg

13oct26co1157.jpg

The 4 strand haystring one - 1st time worn, after making it, in March 2010 on a 6 month old filly and in Oct 2012 on a 2.5 month old colt.

10mar12ke119.jpg
12dec5ze205.jpg

Next post for more pics...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's some pics of the 6 strand haystring one - Same mare, Bell, is wearing it. IN 1st head shot it can be snugged up a bit. IN the 2nd, looks like it could be loosened to make side knots avoid contact w/ driving bridle nose band.

10oct9be753.jpg
10mar7tiehalter034.jpg

13apr15drivFour247.jpg

Here is a larger sized softer rope halter with decorative paracord wrap. The pony is a 4 yr old 1/2 arab/shetland gelding.

13feb09sa319.jpg

Same pony with a CA double knot (4 knots on noseband) arab/yearling size halter. This halter didn't end up fitting our small arab mare - crown tie piece was too short...

13dec21clinic478.jpg

Here's a pic w/ 2 purple halters on the girls - under their headstalls, during a Christmas Parade.

12dec08biko173a.jpg

O and here's some pics of the newest halter. My farrier had stiffer rope and I decided to try it. She only had this color - YUCK. BUT who cares if it's mostly for working ponies at home? I can then use the purple ones out when we go places, LOL!!!

15may22kla113141.jpg

Same halter on Bell -

15may22be094722.jpg

and this is a commercial, inexpensive halter (think I paid $7 for it w/ lead rope) that lasted many years for this particular 13.3 hh arab mare. The leadrope is tied in a cavalry knot around her neck since it is one of those attached ones that had pulled too tight and we couldn't remove it anymore. Didn't matter to us, since we rode w/ lead ropes around the necks of our horses all the time anyhoo while trail riding. This is an average size purchased from horse dot com. (and SEE - I used to RIDE - even as big as I am/was. Sorely miss this "hot to trot" little mare!!!)...

08SepPGyvhRide150dpi.jpg

and used like a "hackamore" by our daughter while giving a co-workers daughter a ride when they came out to see the 1/2 shet/arab colt.

0826oct642.jpg

and the oldest daughter with her NSH out trail riding. Didn't have lime green reins yet, so Skye is using my purple white ones... Standing in front of our 1969 Gore stock trailer - when the 2nd canvas roof was still "operational" and intact, LOL. Can you tell that at one time we DID have specific colors for specific horses (Madira's color was PINK - used on Pretty Girl from 2001 to 2014 when she Xd, Skye's started out as a teal green then changed to LIME, Sierra's is RED).

46b6.jpg

and Sierra w/ Xena. This halter is one of the yearling size ones we got from Horse dot com. Fit the the smaller Arab x ponies - 13-13.2 hh but not the larger ones. Still have the green one - it's not been used all that much... Only had standard red, blue, green (hunter) and black colors when I ordered them... They were a medium stiffness and a little thicker in diameter than the CA ones.

b54e.jpg

I don't have pictures of halters I made when I was in 4H in the 70's using that yellow hollow braid yacht/boat rope... Similar to the ones today, but different.

G'day all...

I'm an Aussie so be kind as this is my first post...

one of my customers posted a link to this page on the topic of rope halters..I guess I am a rope halter fan as I have made over 10 thousand of them in the past 20 years....

I prefer to get 3 measurements from Mini owners so I can custom make as there is no such thing as standard sizing for Minis or any horse..Horses are all individuals and need to have training/handling gear custom made to suit the horse.

Some of the pics posted on this thread show the full range of disasters that occur when rope halters are bought off the shelf. Standard sizing was invented to allow you to buy in the store, a recent retail trend, previously all tack was made by a craftsman to fit the horse.

The CA halters with extra knots on the noseband compress thin facial tissue between bone and knot causing pain, and we know that pain is a poor training motivator.

Other halters pictured have the poll strap knots on the cheek.... for over 2000 years tack makers have known that compression of the middle branch of the trigeminal facial nerve cause temp or perm damage so have kept bridles & halters clear of this region.

Regardless of the problems of getting a well fitted halter.. halter training of a mini will give you a safer and better handling horse...and minis are still horses no matter of the height.

attached is a rope halter technical article we did that has beed published in a range of horse magazines and journals.

email [email protected] if you need any specif info

cheers for now

Rob

www.lodgeropes.com

oops can someone help me attach a word doc to the forum?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back