Skijoring

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Standards Equine

Staff member
Reaction score
My daughter is having this thought of skijoring in the winter. I know it would be fantastic exercise, great for core strength, and lord knows we have enough winter here in Alberta, Canada for it. Does anyone have any experience with this? Our littles are well broke to drive, we have all the harness equipment. I was looking at some short ski boot converters and skijoring belts. I worry about the connectors in case we wipe out. I'd love to get some advice from someone experienced in this.
Thanks for your help!

Hi! I have no experience with skijoring but I have made a setup so that Rowan can pull me while I run, I ultimately want to be able to use it while on rollerblades but we aren't quite there yet. Basically what I did is run lines from the bit through the terrets then through a set of plastic handles, and back up through the shaft loops on his harness and connected to the buckles where the traces would normally buckle into his breast collar. I removed the hip strap/breeching from the harness (left the crupper). I just didn't feel comfortable actually attaching myself to him - this way if things go sideways I can just let go! I hold the handles and can have him either pulling me or I can slow him down/steer, depending on how I position my hands.

But the issue with this for skijoring I think is a risk of running up on the pony's heels/pulling yourself up onto him while trying to slow him down. My rollerblades have brakes so I felt this was not a huge risk, but with skis you have no brakes so a shaft set might be necessary. Which then requires that you connect yourself to the pony. So not sure this is helpful to you in any way. 🤣

Thanks Abby P! Your set up is similar to what Pontus Houghson uses in his viral internet videos. I'm not sure how I'm going to set it up but your thought of not running up on them while slowing down makes me think poles and even hold backs might be valid to have on; however, I'm not sure. I'll keep researching! Good luck with your project!

Check out Patty's Pony Place. They do some skijoring stuff. A good quick release shackle would be a good way to disengage should there be an issue.

I boardjore. I use 2 separate setups, depending on the surface I will be boarding on. The mountain board I use a belt around my waist which is connected to the harness, and I have a quick release setup. The board has brakes, so I don't run into the back of the mini. The modified longboards have floating shafts that connect to the board so it's more like a cart.

How quick is quick-release? Is it like one of those snaps with a slider that is used on cross-ties? It would be lovely not to have to use my hands to have him pull me but I have hesitated to hook myself to him since he can spook/scoot at times and has been known to bolt but that is rare. I have a belt for myself but have never used it.

How quick is quick-release? Is it like one of those snaps with a slider that is used on cross-ties? It would be lovely not to have to use my hands to have him pull me but I have hesitated to hook myself to him since he can spook/scoot at times and has been known to bolt but that is rare. I have a belt for myself but have never used it.
I will take a photo of the ones on my buggy.

@BSharpRanch Thank you for the thought. Patty's is not far from where I am actually, but I don't personally care for her construction. I have seen several of her harnesses and they're just not for me. Her husband's vehicle construction; however, is pretty good quality, although heavy...
I'll use the harnesses that we have and do the minor modifications to have them work for skijoring.

@BSharpRanch Thank you for the thought. Patty's is not far from where I am actually, but I don't personally care for her construction. I have seen several of her harnesses and they're just not for me. Her husband's vehicle construction; however, is pretty good quality, although heavy...
I'll use the harnesses that we have and do the minor modifications to have them work for skijoring.
I really don't care for the design of the skijoring harness, but the shaft system would be good . I think I would add shaft carriers at the thighs in case you need to release from the horse so that the shafts didn't drop and create a potential problem.

Marine shackles. Closed and opened

Attachments

• IMG_20240917_205001419.jpg
    IMG_20240917_205001419.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240917_205019765.jpg
    IMG_20240917_205019765.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back