Stallion Help!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe try a good Alfalfa/grass mix. I feed a very fine alfalfa to my horses. The stuff I feed has to be carried in a muck bucket because it falls apart. It is when you feed the stuff with tons of woody stems that they can have the problems with colic. Usually if you feed a mix the alfalfa is much finer. As for your boy being alone. Before my mares were bred I would take them all out to run together. Very important to keep them moving so if someone is in heat he does not have the chance to do anything. He is also the first to be put up. My mares and stud share a fence and it is my problem child mare that messes with the fence. The same one that dumps the water. I do not have him with the mares at this point because he tends to want to run more than I want my mares to run. I already had one mare that had a bad fall from running too hard (just the mares running).

One quick question. Are you keeping this horse to breed to mares? IMO if you are not planning to breed him then why keep him a stallion? How is he being handled and when you are working with him does he have manners? He might have a happy life being a gelding hanging out with other horses.

I have wood fencing that is 18 inches off the ground. I have 2 x 6 inch boards. so they can't really be broken. However I have a nice grass area that I am planning to fence in with electric goat fencing. I have friend that has it and it works great. She has several stallions and never had a problem.

I also feed Strategy and whole oats. I feed timothy hay that has a little alfalfa. I like timothy hay because it keeps them occupied for hours. My horse don't have pot bellies they look really great. I believe over feeding of hay is what causes pot bellies. I also won't worry about your horse getting a pot belly if he is that active pacing the fence.

I trained rachorses and rarely feed Alfalfa hay, my horse never had ulcers, tyed up, coliced. I would give it only as a treat. They always looked like a million bucks and performed to their best for their abilities.

Latest posts

Back