Things to remember when buying a miniature horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celtic Hill Farm

Reaction score
What kind of things should i remember when i got to buy the horse, if we get him. Like what kind of paperwork, stuff to put into the sales contract...ect.

This is what I can think of off the top of my head:

• Registry papers in hand (AMHR and / or AMHA)
  • Before committing, get the full range of pictures if you are unable to see in person (side profile shots, front shots, back shots, bite shots)
  • Coggins and Health Certificate addressed as in who pays -- horse needs those to get on a shipper's trailer and should have a coggins to travel over the road in most if not all states
  • What shots has the horse had and if it's a young horse, has it had the full round of boosters
  • If it is a colt or intact stallion, are both testicles descended
  • Has the horse's health history been discussed / disclosed
  • Is everything "promised" in writing
Good luck!!! Getting a new horse is very exciting
party.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay thanks, i don't want to screw up, and get everything right. Now what kind of things should i make sure i get in writing? and how should it be worded? My mom is curently "Thinking about it" so everyone keep your fingers corssed!!!!

I want to add to Jill's "registration papers in hand" - actually get to see those papers and check that the owner on record is in fact the person you are buying from. If it isn't ask that they update the papers before you buy the horse. Put that in the contract. And everything else that Jill mentioned should go in the contract as well.

Okay, and some oen PMed me about makings sure that i get his hight in the contract and some garentee on his testicals??? how should this be worded?

With the registration papers, be sure you get a signed transfer (or signature on the papers) that allows you to put the horse into your name.

As to the height and/or testicle guarantee - if your horse is coming with A papers, I ask for a guarantee that he will not exceed 34" at the last hair of the mane. If it's a stallion, you can ask for a guarantee that both testicles are fully descended and palpable (and you can always ask for a vet's certificate stating that).

Good luck
default_smile.png

Jan

All of the things listed are good however if you are paying a "pet" price you should not be expecting fertility , height or testicle guarantees. Do get vaccination, worming and farrier history and registration papers or a written guarantee the horse can be registered (if not registered who pays the registration fees?), and a signed transfer.

Not sure what you're looking at, but if he was just recently gelded and they haven't changed his papers, be sure to have the vet cert filled out for his gelding. And everything else everyone else mentioned. Good luck!
default_saludando.gif

Also, maybe paperwork for his daily feedings. So that you can progress him over from what he is use to eating to what you feed (changes in hay, grain, etc.).

Make sure the person who is selling it to you is the person listed on the registration certificate as the owner. If it is a mare who could be in foal, make them give you a service certificate and ask to see the sire's papers. If he is eligible for permanent and not taken permanent you will not be able to register the foal even with a service certificate.

should i remember when i got to buy the horse,
....... Preceeding all the paperwork and money changing hands - make sure you see the horse IN PERSON and the money paid represents the quality you are getting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, my parent's want to make a list of expenses that it would cost over a year, Everything. like Hay, Grain, Shows supplies, Show Fees, Vet Fees...ect...this is what i have already...

Wormer

Hay

Vetting

Grain

Farrier

Show Fees

Blankets

Sweats (if needed)

Shampoos (yes they wanted shampoos)

is there anything i am missing? im like drawing a blank!

You missed some big ones if you plan to show (i see sweats on your list..so..)

Show Halters

Clippers

Clipper Blades <<<<Just about my biggest show expense to be honest

Show grooming products

okay i finished the list i think this is what i have...

Wormer

Hay

Vetting

Grain

Farrier

Show Fees

Blankets

Sweats (if needed)

Shampoos (yes they wanted shampoos)

Clippers

Shavings for a year

Fly Spray

Membership fees

Fencing

is there anything else im forgetting i think i covered it all.

You'll want to add show equipment for the horse and you. The horse will need the proper halter for showing in halter and another halter for showing in performance events. Cart/harness if he is old enough for that. You'll also need show clothes. Also, gas (transportation) to the shows.

What kind of things should i remember when i got to buy the horse, if we get him. Like what kind of paperwork, stuff to put into the sales contract...ect.

Wait what? we are getting him shipped in from Deleware.
Sorry I didn't realize that .

Latest posts

Back