Triple Crown Safe Starch Forage

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats Abby P! I always learn something new when following how different problems are solved and appreciate the sharing.

Does anyone ever wonder if horses or donkeys stay up all night scheming? 😂

Great car choice! 😁

Been about 3 weeks in the new net setup and his intake seems to have leveled off at near-winter levels (chilly nights the last couple of weeks). I estimate he's eating about 7lbs a day which is in line with his historical tendency to nearly double his hay intake in cold weather. He hasn't gained weight and may have lost a little more and his crest seems to be slowly diminishing.

I also discovered that I can indeed fit 10 bags of the forage inside my car so that's a plus. 🙃
And, unlike baled hay, you get very little chaff spread all over your car.

It is true, it is really convenient to transport, for sure!

So I spoke too soon on the nets (and of course, I have already ordered another set, yay!). Today he seemed to really be having trouble getting enough out. It's weird because he's been eating fine out of them for three weeks, not sure if it's just that he's frustrated now that the nights are colder, maybe he isn't able to get enough more out to compensate. He's really biting and pawing at the net and has started to do some damage, so since it's going to be cold the next couple of nights I just moved it into a single 3/4" net. He'll probably stuff himself silly but at least he won't be cold!

Next I'm going to try the tub setups again but with the topper clipped back to the bucket again a few inches down from the top to reduce the amount of slack in the net so he can't pull it over the side and shake bunches out that way. Maybe this is best for winter and the doubled nets are best for summer, we'll see. Of course it will be a situation where I'll need ALL THE THINGS. 🙃

It is true, it is really convenient to transport, for sure!

So I spoke too soon on the nets (and of course, I have already ordered another set, yay!). Today he seemed to really be having trouble getting enough out. It's weird because he's been eating fine out of them for three weeks, not sure if it's just that he's frustrated now that the nights are colder, maybe he isn't able to get enough more out to compensate. He's really biting and pawing at the net and has started to do some damage, so since it's going to be cold the next couple of nights I just moved it into a single 3/4" net. He'll probably stuff himself silly but at least he won't be cold!

Next I'm going to try the tub setups again but with the topper clipped back to the bucket again a few inches down from the top to reduce the amount of slack in the net so he can't pull it over the side and shake bunches out that way. Maybe this is best for winter and the doubled nets are best for summer, we'll see. Of course it will be a situation where I'll need ALL THE THINGS. 🙃
Just when you think you have it figured out🤨 Hopefully you do now.

Latest posts

Back