A mini in the White House???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

targetsmom

Reaction score
I hear the Obamas are shopping for a new puppy and I couldn't help but wonder if they would like a mini instead (or also). And what that could do for the popularity of minis if they did have one. I can see lots of pros AND cons. But what if Chances (or some other rescue group) were to offer them one?? Anyone else have ideas on whether this would be good or bad for the breed?

I did hear that Caroline Kennedy had a pony but I am not sure where it was kept. I don't think the President has to worry about zoning but I could be wrong.

I think if the President says "Hey guys, we're getting a pony" you'd be hard-pressed to find people telling him 'no'.

I was thinking the same thing...

Or perhaps, at the very least, Sasha and Malia should get a visit from a mini? Every city kid should at least get to KNOW a horse, and minis are so good for that.

As for ownership, I would want to know, just as with any family, that the horse would be showered with love and attention and not be just a novelty.

But can't you just see those little girls driving a mini on the white house lawn, secret service running behind with an apple picker?

Now there is a visulation for you! And a good one.
default_laugh.png

I think Macaroni was actually a mini......

Lyn

I can't see them with a mini, would be neat though. I heard one of the little girls wanted a goldendoodle (because she is allergic to pet dander).

Macaroni was a little Shetland and spent very little time at the White House. Macaroni spent most of the time on Cape Cod. A small little barn in Osterville. Caroline and I took riding lessons together every summer. Macaroni hated any sort of ring work ( didnt like fences ) so all our lessons were out side the ring and we had to go in sort of an imaginary circle. I think we were still doing walk/trot and an occasional canter...I think I was about 8 years old. We always loved it when our teacher decided to take us on a trail ride in place of a lesson every once in a while. The poor secret service would have to follow us in little tan volkswagons that I understand were only purchased to be able to follow us through the dirt roads or paths and if the roads got too narrow these big guys would have to get out of the car and follow us on foot. We never went too fast so it really wasnt too hard for them but Im sure they were cursing the whole time. I can still remember Caroline telling her brother John John to keep his hand flat when feeding any of the horses and I can also remember that a couple of times they cancelled my lesson for the day.....I remember being sooo upset....it was because her Mom was coming to the barn to ride that day. I was too young to understand what the big deal was. My Mom saved a little horse brush that Caroline and Macaroni gave me on my birthday or Christmas one year. Caroline wrote in markers To my best horse friend

from Caroline and Mac. I could never figure out why my mom thought I should save it and not use it. Go figure!! I think she gave it back to me about 20 yrs. later. Anyway it was sad as just one day...I went to the barn and my friend and her little pony were gone. I never saw them again.

I think they should get a mini. My mom and I talked about this thinking of what kind of dog they should get and came to the conclusion that they should get a mini!
default_smile.png
She suggested I write a letter haha.
default_rolleyes.gif
Maybe I should, these little horses have enriched MY life, I think his little girls would love a mini! And you know, it's every girl's dream to have a pony in her back yard. Even if your back yard is the White House's lawn!

So maybe it's unreasonable but I think it would be neat.

Macaroni was a little Shetland and spent very little time at the White House. Macaroni spent most of the time on Cape Cod. A small little barn in Osterville. Caroline and I took riding lessons together every summer. Macaroni hated any sort of ring work ( didnt like fences ) so all our lessons were out side the ring and we had to go in sort of an imaginary circle. I think we were still doing walk/trot and an occasional canter...I think I was about 8 years old. We always loved it when our teacher decided to take us on a trail ride in place of a lesson every once in a while. The poor secret service would have to follow us in little tan volkswagons that I understand were only purchased to be able to follow us through the dirt roads or paths and if the roads got too narrow these big guys would have to get out of the car and follow us on foot. We never went too fast so it really wasnt too hard for them but Im sure they were cursing the whole time. I can still remember Caroline telling her brother John John to keep his hand flat when feeding any of the horses and I can also remember that a couple of times they cancelled my lesson for the day.....I remember being sooo upset....it was because her Mom was coming to the barn to ride that day. I was too young to understand what the big deal was. My Mom saved a little horse brush that Caroline and Macaroni gave me on my birthday or Christmas one year. Caroline wrote in markers To my best horse friendfrom Caroline and Mac. I could never figure out why my mom thought I should save it and not use it. Go figure!! I think she gave it back to me about 20 yrs. later. Anyway it was sad as just one day...I went to the barn and my friend and her little pony were gone. I never saw them again.
Wow your very lucky to have known them. They seem like fun people to be with.
default_smile.png
Sorry you haven't seen them since.

As for having a mini in the white house today, it would be cool but with the daughter's allergies it might be hard.
default_unsure.png

Cool topic!
default_biggrin.png

Paige

As for having a mini in the white house today, it would be cool but with the daughter's allergies it might be hard.
Not to say she isn't allergic to horses, but lots of people are allergic to dogs, not cats, or visa versa...and not allergic to horses. If she WERE allergic to horses, there is the Bashkir Curly Horse...AND I know there are miniature horses who have coats resembling the Bashkir coats. I a not sure if they have been tested to be hypoallergenic or not...but it would be worth a try.

I recall years ago, a friend who was allergic to horses, but she was okay as long as she didn't brush them, or stand near them when someone else did. It was the dander she was allergic to, not the horse, and that is the case with many animal-induced allergies, I think. She was a Veterinarian, (large animal/horse) and she and her husband raised and showed Quarter Horses...so it didn't stop her from enjoying her passion for horses.
default_wub.png
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back