Best time to clip

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bennysmom

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
I just noticed my Benny is starting to get a thick coat for the upcoming winter. It isn't long yet, just thick. The problem is we are getting heat advisories almost every day with a heat index of 109 or more. Can I clip him now without interfering with his hair coat? Is there a best time to clip?

Thanks!

I clipped my welsh pony this time of year a few years back and it did ruin his winter coat. He ended up with a moth eaten mess of a winter coat about 1/3 as thick as is should be. That's just my experience with one older pony.
Could you do a bib or partial clip maybe?

I'd just clip him now. I'm in PA and I've done a winter clip for the october show we have and had the coats grow in enough. I did have to blanket overnight for a few weeks. Actually, come to think of it, I'm usually still clipping my show horses this time of year.

You can clip now. I always did Dapper Dan around this time of year as he grew a thick coat quickly. Billy only grows an adequate coat, so even though he is a little uncomfortable right now, I won't clip him; he might not have time to grow a winter coat.

Looks like you are in Florida, so while it does get cold, it doesn't get as cold as more northern states, so you should be fine to clip now and get him comfortable, and more hair will likely grow in plenty of time for winter weather. Perhaps get a rain sheet and a light liner for cooler temps.

Mine are already starting to look like yaks too! I keep telling them, it's only August, but they know better... I won't clip them until April. We're in Canada. Winter can be really harsh at times. I blanket when I need to. Otherwise, they're well sheltered and need that coat.

Latest posts

Back