Driving Discussion 2024

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a very sad heart I am selling my Jerald Runabout. Billy cannot use it and I am not going to get another horse. I will be 71 this year and not inclined to train another horse. Billy and I are doing fine by ourselves. We will continue to drive in the sulky as long as he is able. I have not recovered from Dapper Dan; just don't want another horse at this time. (Not sure I can part with Dapper Dan's harness yet. So many memories--from the day I got the box in the mail with that tangle of mysterious leather stuff--to the last time he wore it posing with the ribbon from Cayuse.) We've been keeping the cart tires aired, but it is just taking up room in the barn. It hasn't been used in over a year. I put it on Marketplace for $350--do you think that is a fair price? It is 20 years old.

I think $350 is a steal if it's in good working order. I don't think age matters that much with horse carriages, as long they been maintained. But others probably know more about it than I. Your post did sadden me, but I understand. On a happier note, I always thought you were about 60, going by your photos I've seen!

I think $350 is a steal if it's in good working order. I don't think age matters that much with horse carriages, as long they been maintained. But others probably know more about it than I. Your post did sadden me, but I understand. On a happier note, I always thought you were about 60, going by your photos I've seen!
I just got a question from someone: does it have any flaws? Ha! What does he mean by flaws??? If he wants perfect he better start looking for a new one--and good luck with that.

Could be a scammer too, beware of odd questions that aren't worded quite fittingly for the thing you're selling. When I was selling my F250 many years ago I had someone from the UK telling me that they would "send an agent" to pick it up and handle "packing and shipping". 🤣

If I could justify shipping across the boarder, I'd be happy to buy your Jerald! When @Edelweiss gets back from her travel adventures, she can probably advise you best.
I too am sad to hear of your decision but I completely relate to that and respect that you need to do what is best for yourself. And you've got a super cutie monkey pony that you're still having loads of fun adventuring with. And that's what it's all about, after all! Billy's a dolly.

I think it is sold. Buyer is at a show in Tulsa and wants to pick it up on Sunday. It is for her daughter. I said I would hold it until Sunday. Seems like a legitimate buyer. Makes me sad. I ran across the receipt when I got it in 2002. I bought some eBay shares and decided when they made enough to buy the cart I would sell. It took about 6 months. Sold the shares and ordered it from Jerald. There are a lot more cart choices now than there were 22 years ago. And online discussion, like this Forum, to see different kinds of carts. I paid $615 for it. It was the only cart I ever saw in person when I bought it. The journeys I've been on with that cart! Rides for old folks and children; parades; grandchildren; handicapped...

Aww geez Marsha, this makes me sad too! I remember so many pictures of DD with his cart and harness, I hope you decide to keep it. I remember getting my first harness from Big Dee's, is that where yours came from too? I still have mine and use it for ground driving.
DD was a wonderful horse. One of the special ones. I always felt like I knew him personally for some reason.

Aww geez Marsha, this makes me sad too! I remember so many pictures of DD with his cart and harness, I hope you decide to keep it. I remember getting my first harness from Big Dee's, is that where yours came from too? I still have mine and use it for ground driving.
DD was a wonderful horse. One of the special ones. I always felt like I knew him personally for some reason.
😢

My daughter has been across the country for the last week and a half so I've acquired another teenager to drive with. A lovely young lady and aspiring driver purchased Jasmine's training harness from us several months ago. She's a delightful kiddo, very polite, nice parents, and has a real knack for learning driving. I invited her to come drive Jazzy pony while Ali's away visiting her dad. She came out Thursday evening for a lesson in putting to and drove Jasmine all over the property as I drove Falcor (who did really well!!!)
Sunday we planned to go out and school the CDE grounds. I'm still working my Falcor to broaden his horizons and grow his confidence. I know there's some places on the property that he finds scary, but having the brave mini in the lead is certainly good for his confidence. So we met up with another friend and her green mini gelding and had a great adventure! We set up a short cones course, schooled the dressage ring, drove some trails a bit (even led some!) Unfortunately the water obstacle was dry this time, but the bottom was still damp and a different colour. Still beneficial to school! We schooled some derby areas that we hadn't been in previously and led around more of the property than he's been on last time. Ponies were tired coming home, but it was a fantastic experience and I'm really proud of my little dudes.
We've booked to go again in August!
There's a triple drive in September I'd like to try, but I don't want to do the derby portion. Just the dressage and cones. But the cost of registration is a bit prohibitive when I know I'm going to scratch a portion. We shall see what our August schooling brings. He may find his brave pants yet!
057BE782-B68A-4570-BC6B-76C051C3561D.jpeg
5ED60DD9-6301-46C5-8AF8-D2AF3F3CA2F4.jpeg

Westerner Days 2024! The Alberta Donkey and Mule Club was invited to join the Agventure pavilion and provide daily long-ears demos. We opted to join in the parade as well.
Tuesday evening, I travelled down with Phillippe and Jasmine and got them settled in. The venue is a large hall that's often used for a horse show arena or stabling. This time it was set up with large (16 x 16 ft) pens, well bedded and on rubber mats. There were water troughs available for each of the pens too. The littles were definitely comfortable. Behind the pens was ample space for feed, equipment, and my vehicles. The public was able to see the animals on the opposite side. Contact was discouraged but couldn't be prevented.
Bright and early Wednesday morning we loaded up and headed to the parade grounds. Our group had Jasmine, Phillippe, who we led, two riding mules and a pair of donkeys hitched to a wagon. They all did really well!
Wednesday through Friday we had 2 demos in the afternoon, Saturday and Sunday just 1 each afternoon.
The first demo I led Phillippe through. Jasmine did the same with my friend handling. After that, they were both hitched and demoed a little cones course. The weather was really hot so they enjoyed the fans I'd brought for them.
We had lots of adventures in between chores and demos. We got to ride in a stagecoach for the Percheron demo. We had a monster truck ride. Did a bit of shopping, I went to visit my stallion while we were in town, got doughnuts, stocked up on Gatorade - which was really appreciated by the whole demo team! And Jasmine went for a walk around the perimeter of the midway. She did great!
Our narrator couldn't stay for Sunday's demo so I traded driving my donkey for the microphone. My friend, who had been driving Jasmine all week, took the lines on Phillippe instead. They both had no issues with the change. That was our biggest crowd with the bleachers full and people standing along the rail.
We talked to loads of people, learned a lot about our demo format and that adding music made a huge difference to the crowd and us as well! We had a great time and I'm exhausted. So glad to be back home!

Driving Demo Westerner Days.jpg
Jasmine Parade.jpg
Phillippe Parade.jpg
Driving Costumes.jpg
Never mind the filthy footwear and loafers....

We have a new friend on the farm. We trialed a mini mare for my friend and her 2 children. The mare kicked my mom 3 times, unprovoked. So she was unwelcomed at the farm. My very skilled and experienced friend took her and we exchanged for a free lease on her retired driving mini, Ricco Suave. Ricco is maaaaybe 30", maybe smaller. He's so incredibly wee! Almost a dwarf. Anyways, he's a dear thing. Hasn't done very much in a couple of years - being retired, but will be great for the kids to play with, learn showmanship, in hand trail, etc. Anyways, just because he's retired from driving doesn't mean he can't come along for drives and adventures! I've seen several of you amazing drivers pony off your vehicles so I gave it a try as well. Picked the donkey, cause he's slowest and most compatible for tiny legs, and just sat on Riccos' lead rope and he came with us for a drive around the field! He seemed to really enjoy it. I took him again yesterday, and then we went down the road to the next neighbor's driveway. Ali played with him over a tarp and led him through our tack shed. He'll probably end up coming with us for care-home visits in the future.

Ali's been working with a boarder "mini" gelding. He's more a small pony. Anyways "Toast" is not my favorite animal. Nothing wrong with him. His owners have done very little with him so it's not his fault he lacks education. Ali asked permission to try training him towards driving. Last summer he started ok but really demonstrated that he needed to mature. This year she's worked with him a few times and he's really starting to get with the program. Yesterday we started with the noisy stuff since he was doing really well with the ground driving. I dragged buckets around him; we put bells on him, no issue. So I grabbed the tire. It's got a rim in it so it's heavy. I dragged that around him and behind him, no issue with the noise. We hitched him to the single tree and asked him to give it a go. OH MY!!! DRAMA!!! It's SOOO HEAVY!!! How on earth could we assume him to move that?!?! lol poor dude. I snapped a lead rope on his cavesson and asked him to come with me. Ah, extra instruction, no problem. He settled into pulling really quickly and did great from there on! I was able to unclip the lead after just a couple of minutes and he carried on with focus and confidence. I still don't particularly care for him, but I like that he's getting an education. My opinion is that any animal (horse/pony/donkey/mule) who can safely be trained to do a job, should be trained to do a job. It gives them a better chance for a caring home for the rest of their lives.

At the end of the day, Jasmine hadn't been out despite being worked 3 days in a row previously. So when Ali put Toast back in the pen, Jasmine exited stage right! She didn't go far and was easy to put back in but how dare we not bring HER out!! Funny girl.
View attachment trim.2A486FC8-C0F7-41BB-80CD-3AECC8257EA7.MOV
View attachment trim.9F015B9F-BE9E-4183-B153-DBD01795EF46.MOV

Last edited:
We have a new friend on the farm. We trialed a mini mare for my friend and her 2 children. The mare kicked my mom 3 times, unprovoked. So she was unwelcomed at the farm. My very skilled and experienced friend took her and we exchanged for a free lease on her retired driving mini, Ricco Suave. Ricco is maaaaybe 30", maybe smaller. He's so incredibly wee! Almost a dwarf. Anyways, he's a dear thing. Hasn't done very much in a couple of years - being retired, but will be great for the kids to play with, learn showmanship, in hand trail, etc. Anyways, just because he's retired from driving doesn't mean he can't come along for drives and adventures! I've seen several of you amazing drivers pony off your vehicles so I gave it a try as well. Picked the donkey, cause he's slowest and most compatible for tiny legs, and just sat on Riccos' lead rope and he came with us for a drive around the field! He seemed to really enjoy it. I took him again yesterday, and then we went down the road to the next neighbor's driveway. Ali played with him over a tarp and led him through our tack shed. He'll probably end up coming with us for care-home visits in the future.

Ali's been working with a boarder "mini" gelding. He's more a small pony. Anyways "Toast" is not my favorite animal. Nothing wrong with him. His owners have done very little with him so it's not his fault he lacks education. Ali asked permission to try training him towards driving. Last summer he started ok but really demonstrated that he needed to mature. This year she's worked with him a few times and he's really starting to get with the program. Yesterday we started with the noisy stuff since he was doing really well with the ground driving. I dragged buckets around him; we put bells on him, no issue. So I grabbed the tire. It's got a rim in it so it's heavy. I dragged that around him and behind him, no issue with the noise. We hitched him to the single tree and asked him to give it a go. OH MY!!! DRAMA!!! It's SOOO HEAVY!!! How on earth could we assume him to move that?!?! lol poor dude. I snapped a lead rope on his cavesson and asked him to come with me. Ah, extra instruction, no problem. He settled into pulling really quickly and did great from there on! I was able to unclip the lead after just a couple of minutes and he carried on with focus and confidence. I still don't particularly care for him, but I like that he's getting an education. My opinion is that any animal (horse/pony/donkey/mule) who can safely be trained to do a job, should be trained to do a job. It gives them a better chance for a caring home for the rest of their lives.

At the end of the day, Jasmine hadn't been out despite being worked 3 days in a row previously. So when Ali put Toast back in the pen, Jasmine exited stage right! She didn't go far and was easy to put back in but how dare we not bring HER out!! Funny girl.
View attachment 51964
View attachment 51965
If that little appy comes on the market, let me know! He's perfection.

View attachment 51964
View attachment 51965
First time I've really seen Phillippe's tail from behind. Very fun!

Latest posts

Back